Technical Judder

Currently reading:
Technical Judder

nikeboy66

I have posted this message before regarding my Punto ELX 8V 2000 having an intermittent judder when you are in slow traffic or at a junction it happens when you pull away in 1st gear. Having had many arguments with my dealer regarding this they basically told me that thats how Punto's are and they all do it. Having spoken to FIAT them selves they tell me its a characteristic of Puntos.

Having spoken to another dealer they told me that they have seen it before and as far as they know Fiat wont do anything about it as it not a common problem. If it is a common problem other drivers are putting up with it and not telling their dealers therefore the problem is not getting fixed.

So my question to you all is DOES YOU ARE JUDDER WHEN YOU PULL AWAY IN 1ST GEAR.

or

Has any other drivers had this problem and had it fixed.

The reason the filler cap problem hasnt been fixed is probabley people havnt complained to Fiat and they are not aware this is a problem.

Yep...mine used to...although since I got a new clutch I haven't noticed it as much.

has your clutch been replaced?

www.Mobz.2U.co.uk
Logos, Ringtones and FREE phones.

Drive it like you stole it!

No I have not had a new clutch, my dealer wont replace it even though is under warrany with them. They just tell me thats the way they are

Thats probably because alot of Punto's do have the problem! lol

All I can give is my experience...after I had a new clutch fitted (because it needed one!) the juddering has dissapeared.

Its an expensive job mind you just to get rid of some juddering! Unless the clutch needs done I'd just put up with it.

www.Mobz.2U.co.uk
Logos, Ringtones and FREE phones.

Drive it like you stole it!

So if so many Puntos have the problem why dont Fiat get the problem recified????

Its just so annoying and at times dangerous when you are trying to pull away at a roundabout fast to get in a gap.

It doesnt happen if you drive it like you stole it!!!!!
It does happen to me sometimes but i'll live with it til i decide to get a new clutch. Just get a big sticker with "IT'S NOT ME IT'S THE CAR!" and stick it in your window. Fiat won't do anything about it, they are as good as broke financially.B)

2000 ELX , (1998 60S got mashed)

Is this the same as when in traffic using 1st gear at idle revs and clutch fully engaged a kanagroo style ride? I have that in my 2000W ELX 8v, but it's never done it on take off acceleration into a gap of traffic.

How long should a Punto clutch last? I drive 13000 miles/year mainly cross-country, so a fair bit of changing (less than city, more than Mway)

Punto Mk2 ELX

Hi Gav

It can do it for me when I pull up at roundabout wait will traffice is clear then pullaway and you get the judder (kangaroo style) and yes its worse in a line of traffic

Just wondering if petrol has anything to do with it - I usually put regular Shell unleaded in, and haven't had the judder anywhere other than a queue of slow moving traffic (ie accelerate hard is no problem).

Punto Mk2 ELX

I dont think the problem is the clutch from speaking to my dealer again on Saturday the Customer Care Manager tells me or believes the problem is with the engine computer. He says its probabley when the engine cooling fans kicks in.

I would not say that the engine cooling fan has anything to do with it as I has happened to me just driveing out my drive and 4 houses to the road end then I pull away and its juddered then.

You say if you accelerate hard you dont get the juddering. I have tried all that but mine still judders no matter how much gas i give it.

Another question for you now - from cold is it difficult to get 2nd gear ie from 1st to 2nd. when the cars warmed up get easier but there are time when it REALY clunks in to 2nd gear.

Your comments please

thanx

i have a 03 punto active and has this problem, seems worse when after a longer journey or when it is wet. i have had it in the garage :)I ) already and they reset the computer. so it aint that! this time i will push them for a new clutch and see what happens..

Thank you thank you!!!

I get the exact same thing and Baby has been takin the **** out of my clutch control for ages!!!

Disclaimer: Any incorrect lexicography or grammar is entirely the fault of your eyes

Well they changed the clutch and guess what?

its fine now. :D

there is some residual uneveness in 1st gear but it comparison to what it was like before.. well it aint worth caring about..

d

Just wondering if you ever got this juddering problem sorted out. I have the same intermittent problem. Took it to the dealer yesterday and of course it didn't happen. They say they looked at everything but found nothing wrong. I get the impression they think I'm making it up or something. And of course it happened again for a while today. Don't know where to go from here. Wouldn't mind so much but doing my driving test next week so I really don't need this.
????????
[:(!]

on mine, you just have to keep the revs a little higher when pulling away and the computer gives it enough fuel not to do it. it should be ok when crawling along, ie 1st gear no feet on any pedals. Its a pain but i think there not alot that can be done to rectify it. embarassing tho.... everyone thinks 'learner' to themselves as you lurch off. :(

I dont get any judder on my 98 sporting but i do get the problem of having to be patient with getting the car into second it feels like the lever would snap or bend of i tried any more.

I have a question for you all, Is the clutch on your punto quite hard to put in fully, when i first got the car it was almost inpossibvle to keep in it whist sat in slow moving traffice, i took the car back and they said they replced the clutch but im not too sure if they did it could have just been botched.

Sensible mods go far

Has anyone got to the bottom of this yet then?? I had the clutch replaced in my 2000 punto about 6 months ago and everything was fine, now, just as everyone describes, when pulling away in 1st AT LOW REVS it kangaroo's really bad. If i pull away and get the revs up its fine. im gonna call the garage about it, cos its not "just one of those things". Somethings defo not right. surely its gotta be a clutch problem???

Back