Technical Jtd oil change

Currently reading:
Technical Jtd oil change

Neilycus

I am going to try some valvoline oil in my 04 jtd, heard so many brilliant things about it on here, does anyone know how much ill need (5 litres?), and which grade, I think its the semi synth stuff, be v grateful as usual for any help. Chrs, Neil ?

just bought 5ltrs 10/40 valvoline from ecp, came to 12 quid free delivery.

i had previously used the ecp branded 5 / 40 as advised by fiat, but it sounds a bit tappety so im going up to 10/40, for whatever difference it will make. 10/40 is also ok in fiats books and its also what ive always used in other vehicles.

last time i changed oil i got just over 4 litres out of it, the sump holds 5ltr.

are you buying a new sump plug? i haven't, last time and first time i opened it, it snapped my allen key ( socket type) being on so tight. i suspect it always to have been syphoned out with a pump through the dipstick by the previous owner, maybe the sump plug had not been opened in several years, if ever.

hi creon, thanks very much ? for your reply, I'm going to get my usual mech to do it, while I do some small jobs, I don't do oil, he's a really honest guy been going to him 20 odd years, he'd have said if sump plug no good, did u find you engine quieter and more powerful as people have stated on here with the old valvoline?. Best wishes, Neil

just changed the oil a filter this evening and the engine is sounding much better.

so glad i changed it with quality oil as it was making a diesel knocking sound which was quite concerning for me. not long had the car this being the second oil change in 6 months.

recently changed the thermostat, my gauge would not pass quarter mark only under load. it now sits at half mark with a nice hot blower. was on the original stat and it would not open fully.

ive also change the 88xl tyres for 93t which at the mo seems to be doing the job nicely.

onwards and upwards fingers crossed, cambelt a water pump this week.

Valvoline is good stuff. and as said 10/40 and 5/40 are both recommended by Fiat. Im not sure why they only specify semi-synth though. Ive always ran fully synth in my turbo cars (as speced by the manufacturer), the extreme heat of the turbocharger can cause carbon build up, blocking oil ways, pick-ups etc. Maybe these run colder? my knowledge on TD's is pretty limited.

Back