IMG_20120425_145937.jpg

Panda (Classic) John Dragon Man's 4x4 Sisley

Introduction

Hello!

Well, I have been waiting a long time to do this!

Introducing (Drum roll please!).....

Edit: about half way through the time it took me to get the car on the road it found the name Talon. So everyone Meet:
Talon. My Fiat Panda 4x4 Sisley:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Great Looking car.. As i am sure you all agree!

It has its Good points:

No Horrid noises in any gear and the 4x4 system works and sounds brilliant! Its a Sisley! And it came with some nice extras such as the light grill covers.

and also nice low mileage.
attachment.php

And it has its bad points... Lots of bad points:

Mid body rust, This is the worst on the drivers side (in the UK) front wing:
attachment.php

The Doors are Rusty.. Ok, i did expect this as it seems to be a common thing on most Fiats over 10-15 years old:
attachment.php

And the other Door, Not as bad.. I may be able to save this side!
attachment.php

"Phantom Electronics" the electronics do what they want to do, when they want to do it. No Switches necessary!

Also the Fuse box now lives here :( That means that a flap has been cut in the pocket :(
attachment.php

The Exhaust is very broken, in multiple parts. even the down pipe!
attachment.php

Lastly and by far the worst, Under body rust. Now its not as bad as it could be. The rear sills on both sides have a small 1 - 2 inch hole in them. No biggy.
I have still yet to remove all the plastic wheel arch liners and have a proper look.
Here's a picture from the front drivers side wheel arch, its only a skin so a easy repair:
attachment.php

A bit of work needs doing to the brakes, pads i think. The fluid needs changing and the drivers side front brake pipe is corroded so i will replace that.

Also the engine needs a good cleaning up, a full on service replacing the water pump, cam belt, tensioner pulley, distributor cap and rotor arm, filters, oil, radiator, coolant and starter motor.

I also need a few things like a locking filler cap, the little clips that hold the air box together, a new boot gas strut and a non damaged back bumper.

Its the car I have always wanted right from when I was a young lad. So you can imagine how I was when I won it on eBay for a grand total of £547. Getting it from Wales To my home town of Derby Cost me £135.

With some love, care and late nights I reckon I can turn it into a cracking motor!

Oh and stay tuned as I will be keeping a Video Log of what I will be doing to the car on Youtube!

This is the video i took just as the car transporter left from delivering it:

See the rest of the videos Here: Fiat Panda 4x4 Sisley Restoration Video Logs

See my Youtube Channel >>>Here<<<

Also Click Here for more up to date pictures of this car!

I am so very proud to be the owner of a Fiat Panda 4x4 Sisley!

:D:D:D

Edit: this is how Talon looks now:

:eek::cool::cool::cool::yum:

Since then Talon has gained more lights, and now has some blue rust free Seat Marbella doors. I had also converted him to Fuel injection, however the parts i used were old and worn so now it is back on Carburettor.

This thread has its ups and downs but through the years Talon and myself have pulled through.

When you are done reading this thread, be sure to check out the little red scrap yard rescued Seat Marbella thread and also Project Fallout!

Peace all and enjoy the thread, videos and pictures!
as far as i can see nothing is bent.. the CV boots have all been fiat ones.

i am looking to get new dampeners for the front, and also will be adding the Felicia springs. this means that i will have to alter the camber.. while i am doing that i think i will drill the holes out a bit and make it so the gap will be bigger.

QUOTE]

Are you not putting to much grease inside or is the grease correct grade? Just asking.

I've got 2 Delphi front shocks with low mileage on then for sale, if interested. Adjustable camber bolts as well.

The best way to gain some clearance there would be to grinding of the material/sleeve round the shock tube to create sort of chamfer there.

when i had it all apart there was a washer/spacer and when the axle nut is torqued up it does sit level with the end of the shaft.. same as fallouts. the grease i am using is the stuff i get come with the CV boot. i always clear the old grease out before putting the new stuff in.

i think mr andypanda4x4 is going to help me out with some new struts. while i am at it i think i am going to replace the bottom arm too as the bushes are quite cracked but still dont have any movement in them.

i am also pretty sure my tracking is off too.. it has started to pull to one side.. i have noticed it getting worse over the years but nothing seems "loose".. all the ball joints move free and have no play.

i really need to get some spigot rings for the weller wheels.. the vibration at 60-70 is that bad.. it never used to do it.. its a recent thing its started to do. i have even swapped my wheels around to try to fix it but the rear ones are worse when on the front :/
i am thinking of using Fallouts wheels on talon to see if that changes anything.
just wish fallouts rims looked better for talon haha

i really need to get some spigot rings for the weller wheels
Wheels are centered mostly with bolt cones, not with the spigot rings{ well, at least fiat familly wheels, but there are other systems,not only cones but flats, half-globes,floating washers etc} spigot rings only help to pre-locate the wheel, but when the wheel and hub are both 4x98 cones do the centering job.Some original fiat alloys and steelies do not have 58.1mm "locating holes" and are in 100% centered by the bolt cones. Different story when you have 4x100 rims and floating bolts on 4x98 hubs, then you must have spigot rings imho.

Maby you have lost some ballance weights?

Last edited:
got myself some skoda Felicia estate rear springs..

i just dont know which car should have them.. talon or fallout... i think talon for now.
would be nice with new front dampeners too.

i actually could get myself another set as theres another skoda Felicia in the scrap yard. i can use talon as my test car.

this day 2 years ago i was working on fallout.. when i got the news about my dad. still miss him. time heals nothing.

Last edited:
have some nice LED side lights now. the old bulbs had gone rusty in the holders.

i had to take the headlamp out, put the bulb inside the headlamp and get it so the base of the bulb sits through the hole then wedge it in place and put the base cap on

Yeah. I always thought that Talon could do with brighter and if possible more lights ;)

Another day, another CV boot. this time hammering was involved to the bottom of the strut.. and yeah it has dented it in quite a bit. (i really did not want to grind any off it)
rage strength worked well and now the CV boot is not close to the strut bottom :D

there was still loads of grease inside the CV joint so i did not add any extra. the hole was only a pin hole so nothing got into the joint :D

just a cheap universal boot sadly, however!!!!

i did find out that a Nissan Micra (2004) outter CV boot fits the panda perfectly! and is WAY WAY lower profile than a proper panda CV boot. the only reason why i did not use the boot was because it was an old one from a nissan micra gearbox change i did on a friends car.
if this cheap boot rubs, it will be the boot i will use as a replacement.

i never took any pictures of it fitted Ahhhh but i did fit it and you have my word that it fits snug with no gaps :D(y):slayer:

i have a panda CV cup somewhere.. ill stick it on that and show you guys.

ahh so, i have taken a picture of the 02 plate Micra CV boot fits on the panda CV cup. as you can see, it is much much more lower profile than the standard CV boot.. oh damn its not standard.. best tell my insurance...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

and here is the CV boot on Talon, about 130 miles later:

looks all good with no signs of rubbing!

Last edited:
i dont think Talon has enough light output..

see.. just not enough..

so, you see where the top 2 small lights are (fog lights, which is what they actually are), i am planning on removing them and putting them elsewhere, maybe on the outer side of the bar that the 2 bottom spot lights are attached to..

that would make a nice large gap..
a gap that will be a perfect size for.. well to put it lightly, a 23 inch LED light bar.
the bar consists of 48, 5 watt LED chips giving the bar a grand total of 240 watts (say 230, as i will under drive it for longer life)

here is the link to the light bar i bought:
http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/7132016263.html?orderId=71179836032986

all this hype on LED spot/flood bars.. well i guess it was time to "shed some light" on the subject and actually try one of these things out..

Last edited:
if i swapped all of the 55 watt halogens for 85 watt HID's i would be at about 750 odd watts...

should i make 1Kw light output a challenge?:idea::devil:

You'd probably want to seriously upgrade the electrical system with a much bigger alternator and split charging...... 1kW is going to be something like 86A

Do that anyway ;)

Last edited:
You'd probably want to seriously upgrade the electrical system with a much bigger alternator and split charging...... 1kW is going to be something like 86A

Do that anyway ;)

yep i have already got both! theres a 115A leisure battery in the boot and the alternator is rated at 95 amps. only issue i have now is that the single V belt really struggles. i need to use a multi V belt. its as simple as just swapping the pulleys around though.. i do have them somewhere its just being arsed with all this rain and cold >_<

John
I always said people from Derby were bleeding bonkers.

You'll soon need solid forktruck tyres soon to take the weight.

And you will be a danger to the wildlife, never mind a car coming the otherway.

They will think ET's spaceship is coming down the road or track.

Do you lamp rabbits from space? or just Yorkshire from Derby?

Dave

Back