IMG_20120425_145937.jpg

Panda (Classic) John Dragon Man's 4x4 Sisley

Introduction

Hello!

Well, I have been waiting a long time to do this!

Introducing (Drum roll please!).....

Edit: about half way through the time it took me to get the car on the road it found the name Talon. So everyone Meet:
Talon. My Fiat Panda 4x4 Sisley:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Great Looking car.. As i am sure you all agree!

It has its Good points:

No Horrid noises in any gear and the 4x4 system works and sounds brilliant! Its a Sisley! And it came with some nice extras such as the light grill covers.

and also nice low mileage.
attachment.php

And it has its bad points... Lots of bad points:

Mid body rust, This is the worst on the drivers side (in the UK) front wing:
attachment.php

The Doors are Rusty.. Ok, i did expect this as it seems to be a common thing on most Fiats over 10-15 years old:
attachment.php

And the other Door, Not as bad.. I may be able to save this side!
attachment.php

"Phantom Electronics" the electronics do what they want to do, when they want to do it. No Switches necessary!

Also the Fuse box now lives here :( That means that a flap has been cut in the pocket :(
attachment.php

The Exhaust is very broken, in multiple parts. even the down pipe!
attachment.php

Lastly and by far the worst, Under body rust. Now its not as bad as it could be. The rear sills on both sides have a small 1 - 2 inch hole in them. No biggy.
I have still yet to remove all the plastic wheel arch liners and have a proper look.
Here's a picture from the front drivers side wheel arch, its only a skin so a easy repair:
attachment.php

A bit of work needs doing to the brakes, pads i think. The fluid needs changing and the drivers side front brake pipe is corroded so i will replace that.

Also the engine needs a good cleaning up, a full on service replacing the water pump, cam belt, tensioner pulley, distributor cap and rotor arm, filters, oil, radiator, coolant and starter motor.

I also need a few things like a locking filler cap, the little clips that hold the air box together, a new boot gas strut and a non damaged back bumper.

Its the car I have always wanted right from when I was a young lad. So you can imagine how I was when I won it on eBay for a grand total of £547. Getting it from Wales To my home town of Derby Cost me £135.

With some love, care and late nights I reckon I can turn it into a cracking motor!

Oh and stay tuned as I will be keeping a Video Log of what I will be doing to the car on Youtube!

This is the video i took just as the car transporter left from delivering it:

See the rest of the videos Here: Fiat Panda 4x4 Sisley Restoration Video Logs

See my Youtube Channel >>>Here<<<

Also Click Here for more up to date pictures of this car!

I am so very proud to be the owner of a Fiat Panda 4x4 Sisley!

:D:D:D

Edit: this is how Talon looks now:

:eek::cool::cool::cool::yum:

Since then Talon has gained more lights, and now has some blue rust free Seat Marbella doors. I had also converted him to Fuel injection, however the parts i used were old and worn so now it is back on Carburettor.

This thread has its ups and downs but through the years Talon and myself have pulled through.

When you are done reading this thread, be sure to check out the little red scrap yard rescued Seat Marbella thread and also Project Fallout!

Peace all and enjoy the thread, videos and pictures!
thanks for the info guys..
the splash guards on my panda don't exist any more so paint wont help hahahaha

well today!
not a bad day today. fitted the new cam belt, but i had a bit of a disaster. the cam belt i bought would not fit, so i shot off down to the local factors and got the right one for £5. funny though as when i bought it, it said it was for a 91 panda 4x4 :confused:

i have also replaced the front drivers side break line as it was corroded at the point where it comes through into the wheel arch. heres video 3:

(video is still uploading wont be long before its finished)

Last edited:
Checked the backplates on the spares Sisley today to see if they'd be any use to you........................

Guess not :p

That made me LoL!

well, no video today but i have got my new distributer cap and rotor arm fitted, all i need is a new set of spark plugs and a new cam belt cover and the engine side will be about done all but giving it a good service.. oh i need a alternator drive belt and the front part of an air box as the mounting for the clips has broken on mine.

I have taken the down pipe of the exhaust off and welded the crack in the end of it. i wrapped a sheet of steel around it and welded it on where there was thick metal. it should last a few years as the rest of the pipe was still looking good! Just the back pipe to weld. i have tacked it in place for now.

that exhaust clamp at the back is a right pain to get off! heh i ended up ripping the whole clamp off as i rounded off both bolts top and bottom of the rubber exhaust holder. it didnt really matter as the only place on the whole back part of the car that was rusty was around where the exhaust clamp was welded to.

waiting for a sunny day when theres no wind about so i can get my welder out doors. welding when its really windy is no good as it just blows all the gas away!(n)

should have the exhaust all fitted and good by tomorrow night. i'll do a video of it then, and show you all what it will sound like without a cracked exhaust.

working on cars makes you so very tired :sleep:

oh, does any one know what kind of engine oil the 999cc fire engine uses? what gives the best protection. my car never came with a hand book sad to say.
hmm i bet its on here somewhere if i do a search for it.

Hi John, its Richard who sold you the sisley decal on ebay im one of the moderators for the panda section on here. car looks great ill try and pop round when I get chance:)

ahh 'tis a small world. i have family up in Ilson, near the Tesco super market.
when you come around, feel free to bring 2 rust free doors along with you LoL!
was looking at mine today and they both need a fair amount of work doing to them.

well later on in the day i managed to weld the exhaust back together. i need to stick a seat back in the car so i can drive it over the pit to fit it though. should be fun with no exhaust.
bled the brake i replaced the pipe on, all joints are fine with no leaks :slayer:

i just need to bleed all the other brake lines and that should clean all the old fluid out of the lines.

i dont think the radiator is leaking.. put my hand where i thought the water was coming from and it was dry. so maybe its just rain water. hell its rained every day since i have had the car!:mad::mad:

got a list of bits i need to get from the factors.. umm.. aux drive belt, thermostat, rocker cover gasket err....heh think thats it.. i am sure there was more :/ oh oil.. yeah i need to really change the engine oil on this car, its really yucky. i dont know weather to give it an engine flush also. if i do a 50/50 mix of diesel and new oil it should clean it out. or do you reckon i should use proper engine flush?

hmm i would like new skins for the wheel arches. cut my old ones out and weld in some new ones. i cant seem to find anywhere that does them though.

no video again i am afraid. the weather has just been horrid. i am at the stage where i really need good weather so i can tend to the body work side of things.

le sigh. will see what happens tomorrow.

Last edited:
Looking at the radiator it does have a leak. you can see the bit were water seeped out of it and dripped down you can also see some radweld around it. so looks like i do need a new one.

got the petrol tank off today. the horrors i found will be in the next video, not this one.

heres video number 4! enjoy!

i have a bolt extractor dont buy one there crap on thin bolts as you sed weld some sort of rod to it or weld a nut to it

how did you know?? lol

good news though..
I got the bolt out. i needed more room so i took the radiator out and managed to get some stilsons on it and they go it out!

So new thermostat is now fitted!

Last edited:
^^ thanks dude, is that for both the diff and the gear box? wish i had a hand book :/

well i have quite a bit of rust around the windscreen under the vents. how easy is it to take the windscreen out? thing is, the rubber is quite perished so i will need to replace that too.. i am guessing they are not easy to get hold of :/

how hard is it to take it out?

Edit: Just looked on ePER.. wow not cheap!

Last edited:
That's gearbox only oil....

Cut rubber off and buy a new one from window screen fitters...not fiat.

Or read my thread and discover fitting by said window guys charge £36...cheap..

Buy a bloody manual!

thats not too bad i guess!

i have the Porter manual as i covers the 4x4. it says nothing about replacing the windscreen or grade of oil the engine/gearbox/rear diff use :/
it only tels you how much oil each item needs to be filled with.

i need to get to bed, im going to the "Auto Italia - Brooklands" event tomorrow with Slugworth from the cento section. got to be ready by 5:30 - 6AM :/

i dont go out often (in terms of enjoyment) so i hope it will be a fun day out and a break of the mold.

Last edited:
Back