IMG_20120425_145937.jpg

Panda (Classic) John Dragon Man's 4x4 Sisley

Introduction

Hello!

Well, I have been waiting a long time to do this!

Introducing (Drum roll please!).....

Edit: about half way through the time it took me to get the car on the road it found the name Talon. So everyone Meet:
Talon. My Fiat Panda 4x4 Sisley:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Great Looking car.. As i am sure you all agree!

It has its Good points:

No Horrid noises in any gear and the 4x4 system works and sounds brilliant! Its a Sisley! And it came with some nice extras such as the light grill covers.

and also nice low mileage.
attachment.php

And it has its bad points... Lots of bad points:

Mid body rust, This is the worst on the drivers side (in the UK) front wing:
attachment.php

The Doors are Rusty.. Ok, i did expect this as it seems to be a common thing on most Fiats over 10-15 years old:
attachment.php

And the other Door, Not as bad.. I may be able to save this side!
attachment.php

"Phantom Electronics" the electronics do what they want to do, when they want to do it. No Switches necessary!

Also the Fuse box now lives here :( That means that a flap has been cut in the pocket :(
attachment.php

The Exhaust is very broken, in multiple parts. even the down pipe!
attachment.php

Lastly and by far the worst, Under body rust. Now its not as bad as it could be. The rear sills on both sides have a small 1 - 2 inch hole in them. No biggy.
I have still yet to remove all the plastic wheel arch liners and have a proper look.
Here's a picture from the front drivers side wheel arch, its only a skin so a easy repair:
attachment.php

A bit of work needs doing to the brakes, pads i think. The fluid needs changing and the drivers side front brake pipe is corroded so i will replace that.

Also the engine needs a good cleaning up, a full on service replacing the water pump, cam belt, tensioner pulley, distributor cap and rotor arm, filters, oil, radiator, coolant and starter motor.

I also need a few things like a locking filler cap, the little clips that hold the air box together, a new boot gas strut and a non damaged back bumper.

Its the car I have always wanted right from when I was a young lad. So you can imagine how I was when I won it on eBay for a grand total of £547. Getting it from Wales To my home town of Derby Cost me £135.

With some love, care and late nights I reckon I can turn it into a cracking motor!

Oh and stay tuned as I will be keeping a Video Log of what I will be doing to the car on Youtube!

This is the video i took just as the car transporter left from delivering it:

See the rest of the videos Here: Fiat Panda 4x4 Sisley Restoration Video Logs

See my Youtube Channel >>>Here<<<

Also Click Here for more up to date pictures of this car!

I am so very proud to be the owner of a Fiat Panda 4x4 Sisley!

:D:D:D

Edit: this is how Talon looks now:

:eek::cool::cool::cool::yum:

Since then Talon has gained more lights, and now has some blue rust free Seat Marbella doors. I had also converted him to Fuel injection, however the parts i used were old and worn so now it is back on Carburettor.

This thread has its ups and downs but through the years Talon and myself have pulled through.

When you are done reading this thread, be sure to check out the little red scrap yard rescued Seat Marbella thread and also Project Fallout!

Peace all and enjoy the thread, videos and pictures!
the main suppler has discontinued them mate, and only recently in the passed month.
this is the same thing 10+ people have told me when i was phoning around (the whole of the uk!) looking for one.

the Italian company have got back to me, but its going to cost £200 to buy and ship. unknown what the hidden charges will be though.

i was actually looking at DIY LPG kits. if i could get one cheap enough i would LPG it!
i wanted to LPG my 899 cinq.

i have checked and having a "fuel" tank inside the car is shunned by most MOT folk.
heard mixed reviews about it though.

i really dont know what the hell to do.

the video should work. i cant edit my post to correct the video link.

Well I'd continue with the referb of the rest of the car and keep an eye out for a tank, one will turn up at a reasonable price (y)

I wouldn't bother with LPG on a carb mixer setup, performance won't be the best and DIY is a big no no as no insurance company will touch the car without an LPGA or ALPG certificate, and equally the DVLA won't allow changing the vehicles fuel type to bi-gas without said certificate. World of pain!

i dont think it is doable. it is really rough. to the point where the metal is so thin you can see light glow through it in places and full of pin holes all over it.

im also worried about the rust in the wheel arch. i dont want to go cutting all the outer skin off that is in great condition. not only that but then needing to paint it all and try to match the colour.
i dont want to go down the £500+ route of respraying the car. i just cant afford that.

i am wishing i never took the project on. i should of gone and got a fully road going panda instead.

John
I had a motorbike tank that I repaired / sealed with a 2 pack mix , I think it was called Petseal.
It was like fibreglass but was fuel resistant. I just filled the tank with brass nuts and swilled them round for a while to remove rust, then blew it out, blocked of the openings and poured the mix in and swilled it about until it set.
Job done.
Dave

99% of 2wd classic Pandas are Mk2's which have completely different rear suspension. Finding a Seat Marrbella wouldn't be too difficult though.

Yeah I thought about this too to re-shell the mk1 but the panda rear hatch won't fit on a marbella so your stuck with the re-worked SEAT tailgate design. Then there's then windscreen scuttle panel which is also different. That means your also stuck with SEAT bonnet as panda one would look wrong on a marbella....
...Mechanically though dead easy to make a 4x4 Marbella :slayer: And it will be a hell of a lot better for rust too! (seen this done before - someone posted a for sale ad for one on a european car sales site a little while back now).

Si

been doing a bit on the car today,
removed the suspension strut on the drivers side, lots of bolt sheering and other lovely things involving a hammer and a chisel .

the strut looks terrible, but once all the rust was removed it wasnt in bad nick! we have loads of blue hamerite my dad had been given so guess what colour it has been painted.

also fully undersealed the drivers side front wheel arch. removed the lower arm and the bushes looked pretty good so i think i will leave them on.

all the welding around the windscreen has been done and with the exception of a tiny blob the size of a 5 pence piece on the drivers side all the grinding down is also done.

guys, i need to know if i can get the small plastic drain hole , as mine broke when i removed it. if i cant get one, what should i do in terms of rust protection?

sent an email to AutoPanels-Castleford and they told me that they no longer do ANY fuel tank for the old pandas.
no longer available from my suppliers.
i recommend you get protecting your petrol tanks guys, less you want to ship one over from europe!

i wish i could of done more with it today. :/

edit: tried to upload a video of what i have done, but our newly upgraded internet connection has gifted me with these results!

Last edited:
^that for the tank? ive got a new radiator today so thats one item down

well took the other strut out today to de-rust and paint. this wheel arch is a lot more rusty than the other side. around where the mudflap goes. still, will fix it.

the distributer has a few faults. not only do i need a new CDI unit i also need the vacuum servo that advance and retards the spark as mine does not seem to hold any air pressure.
if anyone has any of this kit let me know. hell if you have a whole spare distributor PM me a price. not really fussed if its the old points system really. in saying that i do like the idea of it being one thing i'll never have to replace again.

some one has been in it before as its packed with grease around all the electrical connectors.

le sigh, more cost. thought fiats were supposed to be cheap to repair!

Last edited:
Yeah, they're down in London so would have to post it to them but if they can do it for a reasonable price it's worth it.(y)

Dom

:yeahthat:

The name hadnt clicked at first, but they're around the corner from crystal palace football ground. Been there once when down at a friends in London to sort his Daweoo Nubira Radiator, they pressure tested it for free and were really friendly people (y)

Back