Technical Jacking car up without wrecking something.

Currently reading:
Technical Jacking car up without wrecking something.

Hi All. I posted a question about where is the safest jacking point, central under the engine, to lift a Punto mark 2 8v safely, without breaking something.5abr3 kindly replied and said the only one he knew was under the gearbox . Does everybody agree with that? Is there anywhere particular, or just central under the gearbox? I don't want start a minor job and end up with a disaster! Thanks.

Or sump with a block of wood between jackhead and sump, what are you doing? if its cambelt jack up sump.

Can be done by the sump if its in good condition, but ive seen people damage them soo easily.

As said, the seam where the gearbox meets the engine is the best, though it depends what your doing

there are mounting points under the car for jacking it up.

they are shown on the side of the car as two indents on the skirt of the car (cant think what else to call it). you will find two circular areas to mount the jack on.

On the subject of sumps some places want about £70 + for them then they go on ebay as well for under £30 anyone used one of these cheap ones?

Or where do you source yours from?

I got mine from a scruffy little place that is a cross between a scrap yard and a garage! I had just bought the car for my son and I didn't know where else to go,so it was what you might call "a distress purchase" ! When I pressed the sump oil oozed out like tea from a tea bag! Anyway I got a proper Fiat one, fitted, new oil etc for about £90 if I remember rightly. I could probably have done it myself but I didn't have time. I have since painted it with 2 coats of hammerite to try to make it last a bit longer as it is very exposed to salt and general stuff from the road.

Back