Off Topic I've decided I'm coming back (next year)

Currently reading:
Off Topic I've decided I'm coming back (next year)

I miss my time as Toyota driver. They do know what they're doing. I remember the infamous third gen Prius recalls, Toyota were absolutely brilliant in how they handled them, communication was excellent and the car always came back fully valeted inside and out, looking better than new. There's a very good book—Toyota Under Fire—about how they turned what could have been a disaster to their advantage to cement customer loyalty. Business schools will be teaching it for years to come.

I miss my time as Toyota driver. They do know what they're doing. I remember the infamous third gen Prius recalls, Toyota were absolutely brilliant in how they handled them, communication was excellent and the car always came back fully valeted inside and out, looking better than new. There's a very good book—Toyota Under Fire—about how they turned what could have been a disaster to their advantage to cement customer loyalty. Business schools will be teaching it for years to come.
I learnt my respect for Toyota from Business Improvement at uni. That and McDonald's speed-ease system were the big lessons on improving efficiency and reducing failures. That, and the real world experience of relatives who had them and bought them time and time again with minimal hassle beyond servicing. Putting the two together seemed foolproof.

They are expensive used and new 'for what they are'. They tend to lack a lot of equipment and have some more down to earth interior fittings though. But the money is all where it matters I suppose. I'm just a fool for buying one with a BMW engine... I did know that at the time but I thought if Toyota chose it, it must be fine. Well, not really. And the Avensis too was very long in the tooth and left behind around 2014 in terms of any serious investment or competitive edge :-/ You know it's bad when the reviews call the Mondeo and Passat better cars...

Generally good dealership experience too, certainly the one Toyota sent me to, with whom I had no direct relationship being a fleet car driver. In stark contrast to Fiat. The only time I put them to the test (and on a similar safety-critical matter) Fiat themselves were actually pretty good, but the hand-off to a dismal dealer let their brand down badly. Rumbled on unresolved for months. That dealer has since walked the plank, and deservedly so.

I'd cheerfully chuck my Panda in against a new Corolla tomorrow. Only bought it because at the time I needed a small petrol 4x4 for a very specific geographic reason that no longer applies. But it's actually proved to be an excellent little city car too, which is what I need right now, and I can't stomach >£30K for a Corolla.

Generally good dealership experience too, certainly the one Toyota sent me to, with whom I had no direct relationship being a fleet car driver. In stark contrast to Fiat. The only time I put them to the test (and on a similar safety-critical matter) Fiat themselves were actually pretty good, but the hand-off to a dismal dealer let their brand down badly. Rumbled on unresolved for months. That dealer has since walked the plank, and deservedly so.

I'd cheerfully chuck my Panda in against a new Corolla tomorrow. Only bought it because at the time I needed a cheap petrol 4x4 for a very specific geographic reason that no longer applies. But it's actually proved to be an excellent little city car too, which is what I need right now, and I can't stomach >£30K for a Corolla.
I know, I can't get over 30k for a Corolla and the other C-segment cars now either... Although I did notice, around 2019-20 you had to go up a few trim levels and I think to Excel to get one with heated seats.. I think as it sits today, the base Corolla has heated seats and other fancy kit.

The lockdown / chip shortage seemed to have led to lower cost models being axed in favour of higher specced

Back