General its arrived!!!!!

Currently reading:
General its arrived!!!!!

Alex B

will get some pictures on shortly, the car is cosmetically amazing with no tin worm anywhere not even underneath/arches/doors. it does have a cooling problem though, me and my dad found out after going 60 miles up the M1. the heater matrix is leaking i think. so it was either top the rad up every 10 miles and travel at 40 or do 150miles being towed by my dads transit (thank god we didnt go in my panda!!!) so with a little bit of work (and a new heater matrix) i should have it back to its former glory. the car came with its original bill of sale and service book and is a local car. its only done 41K but hasnt been serviced recently. the oil is filthy and ive already replaced what was left of the airfilter. like i say will get some pics on shortly. (y)

Thank god you didn't tow it :eek:

Towing an auto will Kill the torque converter, you can only tow them for very short distances i.e. a couple of miles at no more than 30 mph. When they break down and are recovered the need either a full lift or the driving wheels raised so they dont move.

Anyway it sounds nice, the matrix isn't a difficult thing to change and I did mine last week with a write up.

Good luck with it Alex (y)

no we towed it about 15 miles to a service station were it was left for about 3 hours until the AA brought it back to the local mechanic. the AA guy was gonna bodge it but when we told him how far we had to go and the fact it was an auto decided to do a proper recovery. we shall see if its a little gem or not :eek: it might be coming up for sale on here if my gran doesnt want it. (y)

fastest he went was 40 for about 1/2 a mile then the rest at 25/30. we read the manual first before towing as i remember them being belt driven or somthing? (correct me if im wrong) i wouldnt want to sell it just yet not at £150 anyway lol. sorry chris but we just spent £300 on it. :(

I've had a look through the e-per and find no mention of a torque convertor? but there has to be a compatible system it there :confused:

If it was only for 15 miles it may be OK, what happens in a standard auto (does the selecta qualify for this?) is most of the gear oil is held in the convertor about 60-70% when you tow it the gear oil expands and as it isn't pumped round the box it blows the seals on the convertor or something like that I'm not 100% sure but do know it's a big NO NO in auto land.

So does anyone know if the Selecta has a convertor?

Alan.D said:
Thank god you didn't tow it :eek:

Towing an auto will Kill the torque converter, you can only tow them for very short distances i.e. a couple of miles at no more than 30 mph.

They don't have a torque converter... :rolleyes:

It's got an electric clutch and some rubber bands:D

The engineless Asbo was a selecta (see, Bo Selecta, Ok, it was funny at the time)

Jim

i thought it was a belt system. to my recolection there are two pullys that operate along with a steel wheel or somthing along those lines lol. so it should be ok then?

on another note i checked the gearbox oil today and it was very clean so no problems there. the engine oil was filthy though. it doesnt loose water when the engine isnt running so anybody got any ideas what it could be. i have my eye on the sisley heater matrix on ebay ;)

Alex B said:
i thought it was a belt system. to my recolection there are two pullys that operate along with a steel wheel or somthing along those lines lol. so it should be ok then?

on another note i checked the gearbox oil today and it was very clean so no problems there. the engine oil was filthy though. it doesnt loose water when the engine isnt running so anybody got any ideas what it could be. i have my eye on the sisley heater matrix on ebay ;)

Tis unusual for the gearbox oil to get dirty due to the way these cars are driven (you don't buy one to do thousands of miles up the motorway:D ) and that they have there own filter in the box.

Its a good idea to change both the gearbox oil and filter as if the cars not been used condensation can gather and cause corrosion inside the box that breaks up and then clogs up the filter and oil ways destroying the box....

Jim

Alex B said:

The matrix on e-bay states it hasn't been split but if you look it obviously has been so trad carefully and ask a few questions.

As far as the leak is conscerned mine was dripping down onto the steering rack and as I keep the coolant 50/50 you could easilly see the blue coolant drips it was also showing a leak under the heater box but it's origin was not possible to see whilst still in place. It was also dripping inside the car onto the carpet on the drivers side which were damp and windows steam up.

the leak is definately on the outside of the car. its holding water when the engine isnt running but as soo as its under pressure it is a constant drip from somewhere. i should hear from the mechanic today anyway so ill keep you posted. (y)

Back