General It’s a very long wait ……..

Currently reading:
General It’s a very long wait ……..

Creekmoorchris

I fitted the replacement Bosch radio/cd unit and the screen came up with Radio Blocked/ Wait. So left the ignition on for over 4 hours and the message was still there! Battery was then a little low and so had to recharge the battery.

Bother I thought!

So put back the old non standard unit.

Does anyone have any ideas what I could do so I can get past this Radio Blocked stage. I have the code number for the radio.

Thanks for any help.
965FACDF-315E-445E-8AE6-F16D2131C24F.jpeg

Attachments

• E9ABA88B-3C96-4C4F-8ADF-41797FCECCC9.jpeg
    E9ABA88B-3C96-4C4F-8ADF-41797FCECCC9.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 50
  • 500350C7-BA88-49FB-B08F-729499B0489D.jpeg
    500350C7-BA88-49FB-B08F-729499B0489D.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 64
I have an old BT modem/router PSU (12V) stripped of it's end connecter to hand here. The pos and neg are wired up to the correct pins of an iso connector to provide continuous power - you will find easily the pin out online for the ISO side. Over the years, I have used this for several head unit projects to test at home rather than sitting outside in the cold of the car to do so.

Just sharing this as a thought to you, leave it plugged in until it clears in the corner of your kitchen rather than in an unattended car with keys in the ignition flattening the battery.

I have an old BT modem/router PSU (12V) stripped of it's end connecter to hand here. The pos and neg are wired up to the correct pins of an iso connector to provide continuous power - you will find easily the pin out online for the ISO side. Over the years, I have used this for several head unit projects to test at home rather than sitting outside in the cold of the car to do so.

Just sharing this as a thought to you, leave it plugged in until it clears in the corner of your kitchen rather than in an unattended car with keys in the ignition flattening the battery.
I have just connected the unit to a 12v stabilised supply, old CB radio power unit, connected the correct cables and have connected speakers, just in case!!! However after an hour or so, the display goes out. Si i have now connected the main positive, red and Green, along with the white and blue cables, I thing are live all the time and one other. Now I shall Wait till tomorrow, or even next year!!!!!!

Just as an additional thought, does it need to be connected to the car so the ECU can check on it? Or is it not that clever!!

Attachments

• Qubo Radio power.jpg
    Qubo Radio power.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 32
I have just connected the unit to a 12v stabilised supply, old CB radio power unit, connected the correct cables and have connected speakers, just in case!!! However after an hour or so, the display goes out. Si i have now connected the main positive, red and Green, along with the white and blue cables, I thing are live all the time and one other. Now I shall Wait till tomorrow, or even next year!!!!!!

Just as an additional thought, does it need to be connected to the car so the ECU can check on it? Or is it not that clever!!
The screen keeps going off after about 15 mins, the permanant ignition feed is still one. When the screen goes off, I if push the on off button it comes on again. Should it be ok to leave the screen off and check it again after lunch tomorrow?

The screen keeps going off after about 15 mins, the permanant ignition feed is still one. When the screen goes off, I if push the on off button it comes on again. Should it be ok to leave the screen off and check it again after lunch tomorrow?
Most radios need to have the earth 0v and both the permanent and ignition switched live terminals connected to 12v until the BLOCKED and/or WAIT message clears. Then enter the correct code.

Attachments

• Waiting Times.JPG
    Waiting Times.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 41
Most radios need to have the earth 0v and both the permanent and ignition switched live terminals connected to 12v until the BLOCKED and/or WAIT message clears. Then enter the correct code.
Thanks for that. I have both the main power lead, red with green, and the blue, thinner cable attached to the stabilised power supply. It does keep going off. There is also a thin white cable that in pictures I have found is also +ve.

Can you confirm what the blue and white thin wires are actually for?

Thanks

Thanks. The wiring diagram for the Bosch’s radio seems hard to come by.
You do have the wiring diagram, it is that label in one of your pics, showing the pin connections of the connector.
Sadly, this radio is for a CanBus vehicle, which is probably correct for your vehicle. That means that bench testing is much more difficult.
You get a permanent live feed, and an earth, and the two CanBus wires. (They'll be quite thin wires) The radio is told whether the ignition is on by the CanBus data, which is difficult to replicate, unless you have the necessary equipment. The blue wire is usually the feed out to the aerial. Used for electric aerials years ago, now used to power the aerial amplifier, and the radio outputs 12v to this when switched on. Not a good idea to put 12v in. Also, putting 12v into either CanBus wires can lead to tears.

I think the body computer has the radio data in it, so will need to be connected to the car when the code is input, for the car to accept it. I'm not sure how this works, but I'd have hoped the car would just accept the code when entered into the radio, but might need the diagnostic software (MES) plugged in.

Edit: Just checked MES (MultiECUscan). Radio is listed as one of the CanBus nodes, but not as a separate item available for specific actions. I'd guess from that, the radio needs its code entered, and afterwards, may need a proxy alignment with MES to make it part of the team.

Last edited:
Update: I've looked at a 500 Fiat manual. The radio replacement procedure just says enter the code into the radio, and the car should accept it, but delay increases each time a wrong code is entered, up to a max of 24 hours. What it does not say, is whether the ignition, or radio needs to be on for those 24 hours.

Back