Technical Is there a downside to a car whose services are based on km's (as opposed to every year)?

Currently reading:
Technical Is there a downside to a car whose services are based on km's (as opposed to every year)?

I’m looking at a car that’s been on the road for 6.5 years and done 46,000kms. It's a 2014 Fiat 500 POP, first registered in 2016.

Initially serviced at 12 moths/15,000kms, then the next service was after 18 months and another 15,000kms. The next service again was after 2.5years and another 13,000kms

Is this service history an issue, does it matter that it’s been serviced each 15,000kms rather than every year (given that it’s only done 46,000kms and is only 6.5 years old)?
I have both my vehicles (Fiat &Honda) serviced every 12 months. I cover less than 5000mls between them. It's something i've always done.

Even if I got it serviced every 10k my car would still only have been serviced twice in ten years. Like Minky58 I get it done every 12 months which means the next one, due on Monday the 12th, will be done at about 1400 miles. I don't mind that as my mechanic checks and reports on anything that needs attention, or will potentially need attention, and can be trusted not to 'gild the lily', to misuse the phrase...

The age thing 'every 12 months etc' is a licence to print money for the garages.

Seems to me your MOT is a licence to print money! We don't have an equivalent but it's not for want of trying by the motor industry.:)

Even if I got it serviced every 10k my car would still only have been serviced twice in ten years. Like Minky58 I get it done every 12 months which means the next one, due on Monday the 12th, will be done at about 1400 miles. I don't mind that as my mechanic checks and reports on anything that needs attention, or will potentially need attention, and can be trusted not to 'gild the lily', to misuse the phrase...

Seems to me your MOT is a licence to print money! We don't have an equivalent but it's not for want of trying by the motor industry.:)
The MOT ensures vehicles are roadworthy as some people don't maintain them well. It's a bit of a nail biting time when it's due though.

The MOT ensures vehicles are roadworthy as some people don't maintain them well. It's a bit of a nail biting time when it's due though.
I can well believe that nail-biting judging by what I've read here from time to time!😟 The MOT only ensures a vehicle is roadwaorthy at the time of testing though.

According to a Victorian government commissioned report on the matter from the last time this was looked at in 1999; "The Committee did not hear any evidence to suggest that the State is experiencing a high risk of exposure due to unroadworthy vehicles. The Committee was advised that between 1994 and 1999 that out of 4,511 crashes investigated by the Victoria Police only 3.55 percent of those vehicles were found to have any form of defect. For the same period 0.79 percent were deemed to have actually caused the crash."

Set against the millions of car journeys undertaken in that five years it's an infinitesimal risk. And "any form of defect" could be as minor as a blown bulb or chipped windscreen.:unsure:

Back