Technical Is there a downside to a car whose services are based on km's (as opposed to every year)?

Currently reading:
Technical Is there a downside to a car whose services are based on km's (as opposed to every year)?

SquareWheel

I’m looking at a car that’s been on the road for 6.5 years and done 46,000kms. It's a 2014 Fiat 500 POP, first registered in 2016.

Initially serviced at 12 moths/15,000kms, then the next service was after 18 months and another 15,000kms. The next service again was after 2.5years and another 13,000kms

Is this service history an issue, does it matter that it’s been serviced each 15,000kms rather than every year (given that it’s only done 46,000kms and is only 6.5 years old)?

I just follow the owners manual

Services must be performed every 30,000 km or 24 months.

As guidance

As it does depend more on how it’s used.

Long constant speeds nice for the service parts

Dust first farm tracks not good for the for the air filter

Very cold or hot, short hops, quality of parts used all play a part

Some cars adjust the service interval warning on the display according to how you drive it. Number of cold starts and so on

The A Class did this 20 years ago

No idea with the 500 ?

The 500 probably uses a similar "calculator" to the latest X, which is that servicing is due at the mileage, or the calendar interval, whichever comes first.

If the car looks clean and tidy and the oil is a nice golden yellow, then I wouldn't worry about how it was serviced; I had an old 155 v6 which I changed the oil on every 6 months, just because of the mileage. The Younger Mrs S. had a Cinquecento that hardly ever troubled the mileage limit, even every two years. Whenever I had the engine covers off either of them, there was no discernible difference. The 155 had more gum and varnish, since it lived on the motorway and had 12k oil change intervals... the Cinq's oil was more sooty, since it lived around town.. but the oil always felt like new when I changed it.

Ralf S.

The issue with oil changes done on kms instead of by time is with moisture absorption.
Engine oils in particular, especially if they have a detergent additive, can absorb moisture - in turn, reducing the effectiveness of lubrication.
The other issue to consider is why the car was doing such few kms in those timeframes; was it many short trips (so likely lots of cold starts, cylinder glazing, etc) or lots of time sitting (corrosion due to moisture, fuel going “off”)?

The ever-lengthening service periods above suggest looking after the car was not a high priority to its original owner, especially if those services were merely oil changes. If I had a 1200 Pop I might consider bi-annual servicing in light of my current very low mileage but with the Twinair I won't take chances.

Stretching the oil to 2 1/2 years would worry me if the owner didn't check the level? Otherwise should be OK wonder why it sat 2 years unsold?
The owner is very car savvy, so the oil dropping below a safe level isn't something i can see them doing. The sitting for 2 years is easy to explain, and totally understandable - it was a company car, not being used during long and strict Covid lockdowns.

I just follow the owners manual

Services must be performed every 30,000 km or 24 months.

As guidance

As it does depend more on how it’s used.

Long constant speeds nice for the service parts

Dust first farm tracks not good for the for the air filter

Very cold or hot, short hops, quality of parts used all play a part
interesting points - thanks for bringing them up :)

The car lives in an industrial area, so concrete for days and lots of freeways for it to travel along to get ... anywhere.

All the visibly replaced parts (eg tyres, wipers etc) are good quality, so i'd be surprised if the hidden bits are dodgy.

The 500 probably uses a similar "calculator" to the latest X, which is that servicing is due at the mileage, or the calendar interval, whichever comes first.

If the car looks clean and tidy and the oil is a nice golden yellow, then I wouldn't worry about how it was serviced; I had an old 155 v6 which I changed the oil on every 6 months, just because of the mileage. The Younger Mrs S. had a Cinquecento that hardly ever troubled the mileage limit, even every two years. Whenever I had the engine covers off either of them, there was no discernible difference. The 155 had more gum and varnish, since it lived on the motorway and had 12k oil change intervals... the Cinq's oil was more sooty, since it lived around town.. but the oil always felt like new when I changed it.

Ralf S.
you just jolted my memory - the O showed me the oil, and it did look nice and clean. Thanks!

The issue with oil changes done on kms instead of by time is with moisture absorption.
Engine oils in particular, especially if they have a detergent additive, can absorb moisture - in turn, reducing the effectiveness of lubrication.
The other issue to consider is why the car was doing such few kms in those timeframes; was it many short trips (so likely lots of cold starts, cylinder glazing, etc) or lots of time sitting (corrosion due to moisture, fuel going “off”)?
ewwww i didn't know that oil could absorb moisture, or that petrol could go off ... going to have to google that .... though happily i don't think either is an issue with this particular car - She started instantly and ran beautifully when i test drove her.

The owner is very car savvy, so the oil dropping below a safe level isn't something i can see them doing. The sitting for 2 years is easy to explain, and totally understandable - it was a company car, not being used during long and strict Covid lockdowns.
Know all about that! Mine spent weeks on end in the garage... Hope they kept the battery charged.

Is it manual or Dualogic?

The 1242cc 69bhp motors are not bad for servicing.. :cool:

You need to keep cambelt kit and waterpump in mind for 4/5 year intervals..

Other engines use camchains (y) .. but are turbo'd so need money spent elsewhere..
'Not bad' is way better than just bad ;)

IF she passes the Pre-Purchase, she will be staying at that mechanics while the "changing hands" paperwork is done, and then when she's mine, she'll get her 60,000km service including her water pump and timing belt getting replaced. I'm all over that safety stuff (and if i wasn't, my brother wold be)(y)
Know all about that! Mine spent weeks on end in the garage... Hope they kept the battery charged.

Is it manual or Dualogic?
Battery is good as far as I could tell - it certainly started first time when we test drove it, and there was no warning light on the dash.

Manual .... I got a headache just reading about the duologic's potential issues :oops:

Manual .... I got a headache just reading about the duologic's potential issues :oops:
We had one of each for a few years and while the wife's Dualogic Pop had no issues (sold at 35,000km) I really disliked it in comparison to my manual Lounge. Having said that it was more frugal than the TA and rode a little more comfortably on its 14" wheels.

What part of Melboure?

I only service mine to mileage but at 18K for the TA i thought this was stretching it a bit so i change the oil and filter every 10K, on all my cars, always have. The age thing 'every 12 months etc' is a licence to print money for the garages.

Back