Is The AA Worth It?

Currently reading:
Is The AA Worth It?

Ciaran187

I'm insured fully comp but don't have any kind of breakdown cover etc.

Was considering getting AA cover. It's half price now - sixty euro for the year. Their site says if they can't fix your car at the roadside, they'll tow it to a garage. What then? Do they fix it or do you have to pay to fix it?

are there any costs like call out costs or excess or anything?

if you take out their fix it cover for £6 a month they pay garage up to £500.
if you get relay they will take you all the way home or to a garage of choice instead of the nearest.

if you get relay plus you get a hire car too.

it covers you an not the car, so even if you are a passenger in another car and breakdown they will come and help.

i would never drive without cover, a tow off the motorway can cost £100's if you don't have cover

Cheers mate

I'm off to take out cover so! Will be driving around the back arse of nowhere in the west of Ireland for the next week or so. Fingers crossed I won't need the AA but just in case!

RR this is
i hate the AA they can not reconise a letter out on a number plate
and my mum didnt even get an oppology
RAC sytem confirms the reg of your car

also when my dad called AA guy out he said the sprinter van had had it when all what had happened was the fan belt and a tnsioner broke

and a few other fings

AA relay is just that - they stop each time they get to the boundary of their operations and wait for someone from the next area to come and collect you. If you're several areas away from home then you're going to have several hours of waiting. Have you ever been to a motorway service station and seen a AA van waiting with a car.. they're waiting for the next van to arrive.

RAC will pick you up from where you break down and recover you in one trip. They're similar price and offer similar packages (hire cars or hotels etc) but without the stupid relay.

if you take out their fix it cover for £6 a month they pay garage up to £500.

I took out BRC as they call it. was rubbish, my head gasket went had a £400 bill, the AA didnt cough up a penny, they came up with a million excuses as to why they cant pay out.

But aside from the BRC the AAs normal breakdown and recovery service is very good. Prefer them to RAC

I have used the RAC twice in the last 3 months
1st time when the ECU packed up on my 3 month old POLO (company Car) (n)and my wifes astra broke down starter motor jammed on and could not free by rocking (free cover with M&S Insurance)

Found the service excellent on both occasions

would not consider not having brakedown cover even though I am quite handy with cars as the cost of a tow is now so expensive

I had the usual breakdown cover provided by a bank (1 level off zilch) and the AA got me home from the M23/M25 junction for free (some 20+ miles)

I got told that they had to get me off the motorway, then because I was now less than 10 miles from home they gave me free recovery (y)

Since then I got my ar5e in gear and have now got full recovery with Green Flag (they were cheapest and I expect the Panda to be reliable - the Toyota was a 93 and shall we say played with, or for the more pendantic taken into 2 foot of muddy water from time to time :D )

Trev

I took out BRC as they call it. was rubbish, my head gasket went had a £400 bill, the AA didnt cough up a penny, they came up with a million excuses as to why they cant pay out.

i thought there could be a catch. is is because you have to have a fully stamped up service book?

the consumer programs on TV stories put me off the RAC

As a technician and able to fix most problems I would definately recommend the AA, I have been recovered 170 miles in one go when a vauxhall ecu went on my cavalier, i have also called them out when I hired a van and got a puncture and couldnt find the jack or tool kit. What you have to remember is its an insurance policy, over time its probably cheaper to take the risk (if you have a well looked after car), but who has a spare £200 to get a recovery home? Alternative is getting recovered to a close garage and having people you have no experience of working on your car. For peace of mind, I think its definately worth it.

But aside from the BRC the AAs normal breakdown and recovery service is very good. Prefer them to RAC

so what were their excuses? if youve had your vehicle serviced surely they should just cough up as thats what your paying for?

does sound a bit too good to be true, £8 a month breakdown, 6.50 for warranty, and you can have upto 5x £500 work every year:eek:

Really :eek:

What happens if your not claiming off of insurance of haven't got the money in a bank account :mad:

They have a special recovery service for people that don't want to pay.

[ame="http://break.com/index/terrible-towing-failure.html"]Terrible Towing Failure Video@@AMEPARAM@@http://embed.break.com/641797@@AMEPARAM@@641797[/ame]

how many lorries did it take to get gaz from skeggy to north wales? i thought it was only 1

3 lorries to get me home, first one took me south, 2nd one took me west, 3rd one took me home

first guy wasnt AA truck and he said if i was with rac he would take me all the way home

i with tesco (greenflag) now cause AA took the **** with there renewal price

Back