Styling Instruments hard to read, gearknob and rims

Currently reading:
Styling Instruments hard to read, gearknob and rims

Its not the little "igloo" thingy in the window... according to the manual the light sensor is placed inside the Tachometer (RPM gauge) and measures the level of light inside the cabin... guess i dont want to block the RPM gauge :/

Thats a bit disappointing. On my parents Mazda6 they can turn the sensor on or off....

On my Dynamic Evo 2(Danish trim level) there is no sensor and so the inside light is on all the time...

Page 28 of my manual tells how to adjust the sensitivity of the Headlight Sensor ( If fitted ) QUOTE " the higher the sensitivity is, the lower is the EXTERNAL light intensity required to switch on the lights"

If you put the sensor in the instruments then perhaps:

"Its dark in here, I'll put the lights on."
"Its bright in here, don't need the lights any more"
"Ooh, its gone dark, I think I'll put the lights on!"
"Ooh, its bright in here................................"

That would be worse than the old turning/fog light saga, personally, I don't want to be arrested for flashing:D

I don't have this sensor, but I do have my little black igloo thingy, which I accidentaly knocked of when dusting the dash. There was "nothing" under it, but is does seem a sensible place to put an "external light" sensor.

There was nothing under it?

the plot thickens.. I always thought the external light sensor went behind the internal mirror in the same place as the automatic windscreen sensors!

Well, nothing that looked like a light sensor!. Obviously not a hole right down to the road! As I don't have a light sensor, I presume I've just got a dummy one.

I guess a light sensor on the mirror mount would be affected by oncoming headlights, so not the best plan!

Tried to cover up the igloo thing in the window...nothing...

Then tried covering he speedometer... and bing lights on in the instruments... but its not fully bright :( ... so one light sensor IS in the speedo... whether theres another one... dunno.

The "igloo" thing on the dash is present on my mothers GPunto and that doesnt have the dimming dash lights

There's something I don't get about the Dimmer. If the light level is automatic, why you have the option to change it manually from the menu? There are 8 possible levels, but how do these work together with the automatic sensor?

Last edited:
Now-there is some info about dimmer and lighting - still nothing bout WHERE that bloody sensor is hidden(IF it's there - mine defo doesn't have it-dark graphics) in control panel:

Lighting

The lighting for the Comfort display is activated at the Key-ON and dimmed at night (night mode); the lighting for the Matrix display is activated and dimmed at the Key-ON (day mode and night mode).
The lighting of the graphics and the pointers, on the other hand, is activated and dimmed at night (night mode).
If there are failure messages (except for "Ice danger" and feedback messages), the brightness of the display is automatically set at the maximum daytime value even in nightime conditions.
Brightness sensor (only for versions with bright graphics) The control panels with bright graphics have a brightness sensor to management the vehicle on board lighting appropriately. The brightness sensor is incorporated in the control panel.
The control panel distinguishes daytime (day mode) from nightime (night mode) conditions depending on the status of the side lights (activated / deactivated) and the sensor signalling.
If there is no sensor (versions with dark graphics) the control panel distinguishes daytime from nightime conditions depending on the side lights status only.
Dimming For the Comfort panel in daytime conditions (day mode), the display is lit to 100% and the brightness cannot be adjusted (dimmed). The adjustment is only possible in nightime conditions (night mode).
The brightness of the display can be adjusted (dimmed) for the Matrix panel in daytime conditions as well.
In nightime conditions, the brightness of the display is automatically dimmed to a pre-set level and the graphics and the pointers light up. The driver can adjust the brightness of the panel, the radio, the Connect Nav+ and the automatic climate control (to 8 settings) via an item in the setup menu.
The lighting brightness cannot be reduced to zero.
If the brightness is adjusted the display shows the specific message and the brightness adjustment symbols come on/go off. With all the symbols lit up, the brightness is at the maximum level.
The effect of the adjustment is immediately visible.

Hope it will solve your question lyubohar ;-)

As i wrote before ... there is a sensor iside the speedometer! try parking in daylight... then fully cover the speedometer with your hand and the lights will turn on in the rest of the panel...rpm gauge etc...

Whether its fully lit... i cant judge.

Cheers

Back