Inspired by a Top Gear dvd...

Currently reading:
Inspired by a Top Gear dvd...

I've got an old Top Gear dvd, and they choose the cars they'd take for a final drive if there was 1 barrel of petrol left on the planet. It'll be interesting to see people's choices. :)

You have 1 barrel of petrol: what are the 5 cars you'd take for a last blast before they're consigned to the history books?

I wouldn't get very far on my last barrel of oil.

Number 1 would be a Ferrari F355 Spider, through the Maranello countryside.

Other than that I would probably be other suitably rare or unusual cars.
The Lotus GT1 from 1997 which my father built as he worked for the lotus race team at the time.

A Lamborghini Diablo, last of the properly mental italian Lambos.

The Bugatti EB110, ugly as sin but what a car!

McLaren F1.....

There is a definite 1990s supercar theme to my list.

This may end up being a what's my forza garage response..but why have a game if you can't drive your dream cars?

Smokey Nagatas 0-300 RB engined Supra

Ferrari 360 cs, mainly for the howl..if not entirely.

V600 Vantage...I remember watching Clarkson test this drag racing it against a Lamborghini Diablo as a child and seeing one on the sea front at Scarborough a few years later. Not a pretty car but it just has something..helped by darkness lol

Jag mkII again for the noise though an eagle E would be acceptable.

Finally more JDM..an RX-7

Though I'll also take an NSX type- R R

First car I ever owned was an old Morris Minor. Nothing like the minor as we know it. It was a two seater with the "cheap" side valve engine so must have been made after 1930. It was a wreck and I wrecked it more by thrashing it round the fields. Interestingly it had the throttle pedal in the middle between the clutch on the left and brake on the right - other manufacturers used this convention too in those days. I'd just like to drive one again as it must be some 50 years now in the past!

Then a 1939 SS Jaguar 3 1/2 litre sports saloon. My grandfather had one which, on his death, my mother inherited. I was very occasionally allowed to drive it but remember it most vividly as the first car in which I exceeded, with my father recklessly at the wheel, 100mph! It had a lovely sporty exhaust note from its 6 cylinder engine but interesting braking performance from its rod operated brakes!

Next, a car I first saw in France at Le Castellet (circuit Paul Ricard) whilst driving up to it on one of the mountain roads. A De Tomaso Panterra it overtook our Renault 16 hire car as if we were standing still and the blast of V8 heaven which accompanied it is a sound I can remember to this day.

The middle years of my career were unremarkable and rather boring involving a fair bit of very boring "desk time". On my way to and from the office in the centre of Edinburgh I used to detour down a mews lane so I could walk past the Alfa Romeo garage there. If I was lucky there would be a Montreal in being worked on and if very lucky the glorious sound of it's V8 engine running might be heard. Always wondered if driving it would be as exciting as listening to it!

And finally, although I don't think I could ever drive one, I would love to be a passenger (if they could squeeze in a seat for me) in a Can Am car from the good old group 7 days! Almost any of them would do, but a McLaren or the awesome Porsche 917/30 would just be perfect! And a trip round the old long circuit Spa Francorchamps or the Nordshliefe with maybe Derek Bell at the wheel!

So there you are, trouble is there are so many others I'd like to try too! AC Cobra but not the big engined version, Gordon Keeble, Facel Vega HK500, a well sorted '60's Mustang with the 289 engine, a bucket T with a humongously large V8, Bloody Mary (the hill climb special), John Gott's Austin Healey 3000 (SMO 746) I could just go on and on and on!

Koenigsegg Agera RS - Big shouty V8, and goes like the clappers
TVR Cerbera Speed 12 - Good old british mentality, stick a V12 in a fibreglass car with nothing but your own brain and reflexes to keep you safe
Audi RS6 (C6 variant) - Comfortable turbo V10
Maserati GranTourismo MC Stradale - Nice coupe and arguably the best V8 noise ever produced (the maserati v8 in general)
Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo LE - Trip down memory lane, the sound of an asthmatic chewbacca growling

Last edited:
I wouldn't get very far on my last barrel of oil.

Number 1 would be a Ferrari F355 Spider, through the Maranello countryside.

Other than that I would probably be other suitably rare or unusual cars.
The Lotus GT1 from 1997 which my father built as he worked for the lotus race team at the time.

A Lamborghini Diablo, last of the properly mental italian Lambos.

The Bugatti EB110, ugly as sin but what a car!

McLaren F1.....

There is a definite 1990s supercar theme to my list.

Damn! The only things I would change would be the 355 would have to be a Berlinetta around the Peek District and a Lotus Carlton instead of the Esprit GT1 so I could take some of my family along for the ride. Apart from that spot on. :)

Damn! The only things I would change would be the 355 would have to be a Berlinetta around the Peek District and a Lotus Carlton instead of the Esprit GT1 so I could take some of my family along for the ride. Apart from that spot on. :)
I do like the Lotus Carlton. I'm not generally into fast cars, (not for their performance anyway,) but it appeals to my sense of humour for what to all but those who know is just an old Vauxhall to go like the absolute clappers: a bit like the opposite of an impreza really.

for what to all but those who know is just an old Vauxhall to go like the absolute clappers:

I’m gunna guess you’ve never seen one up close, there is nothing low key about the Lotus Carlton everything is wide, wheel arches bumpers, the tyres alone are about as wide as your grande, it has ridiculously deep dish wheels and there are lotus badges all over it, oh and a big spoiler.

It was also the sort of car that would happily kill you if you mistreated it, nearly 400hp rear wheel drive and typical of the era no driver aids of any kind.

It was never a car for hooning about in, the modern equivalent would be an M5 bmw or a Audi RS6
Where as the little hot hatches from several manufacturers now would put the Carlton to shame.

It is however s legend, but not enough of one to make my list.

1997 was the Elise GT1 ?

Only a handful ever made (all the chassis made by my father) and only ever one road going car for homologation.

The Carlton was fast but no match for a proper lotus.

Agreed, sorry I didn't spot the year. I would prefer the Esprit GT1 to the Elise but I'm not John Hennessy. ;)

Back