Technical Inner CV Boot

Currently reading:
Technical Inner CV Boot

Grayedout

Can I just say what a STUPID idea it is to rely on the thin rubber inner CV boot to keep the oil in the gearbox !!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad:

Went to top up the gearbox oil on the gf's new Cinq tonight because it felt a bit notchy.....put in half a litre..nothing coming out...put in another 1 litre...nothing coming out...put in another litre and nothing coming out of the filler plug but suddenyl starts dripping from the CV boot !!!!

Quickly pull the wheel off to find a big gash in the top of the CV boot....that would be why there was no oil in the gearbox then !!!! :eek:

Of course as it was 8pm at night I have no way of getting a new one so had to drain all the oil back out of the box and it will have to wait until Saturday !!

Any tips on getting the driveshaft out and splitting the joint off ???

On the Sporting you can undo the bottom bolts on the strut, swing the hub back and pull the tripod out of the joint - then get the tripod off by removing a circlip. I'd assume it's a similar setup on the 899.

Agree though, damn silly idea having the 'box oil held in by the cv joints.

Thanks Pete but I think I'll take the driveshaft out completely so I can get the tripod off easier on the bench !!! :)

All done !!!

Took the driveshaft out and did it all in the vice....took just over an hour all and drives like a new car now !!!! :) :D

Back