Technical Indicators and wipers

Currently reading:
Technical Indicators and wipers

Is this a common issue?

I also noticed that when I brake, the left indicator/side light is coming on.

Should this be a quick fix job if I take it to a garage?
Had 3 Pandas they have all done this

Saw a yellow panda in Crewe yesterday with the same fault

Yes common
Yes quick fix
Auto electrician is better but garage shouldn’t charge more than 1/2 hour

How do I access the cluster? I mean if it’s that straightforward to do, would I able to do it?

I’m in The Midlands. Probably best I take it round to the garage, as I don’t really know what I’m going. As long as I know it’s a straightforward fix and won’t get any nasty surprises when the garage look into it. Hopefully I can get another 6 months out of my car.

I’m probably best to take it to a garage, and have them do it. I really am a “typical” female when it comes to cars.

Nothing to apologise for! Knowing your own limitations is a skill many more folk should be aware of 🤣. Just don't get ripped off because you're a 'girlie' , if needs be take along a male mate, ideally one that is a bit car savvy. Garages hate that when you arrive with the cavalry. I always take my Wifes car in for her or at least go along. Most of the time I can fix any issues but again, know your own limitations.;)

This is very true! Believe me I know my limitations. If I was to stand and watch someone do it, then I’d happily repeat the procedure, but going in blind could just lead to more issues. I’ll phone garage and tell them that I have a bad Earth that’s causing lights to act strangely and that it’s likely to be coming from the rear. That should be enough for them to think I vaguely know what I’m talking about. I’ll even ask if I can watch them so I know for future reference.

I’m in The Midlands. Probably best I take it round to the garage, as I don’t really know what I’m going. As long as I know it’s a straightforward fix and won’t get any nasty surprises when the garage look into it. Hopefully I can get another 6 months out of my car.
Where in the midlands?

Okay, so reversed up to something today to see if lights dimmed. Out my brakes on and the left indicator and I’m sure I saw the brake dim. Also, when I brakes the reverse light went out. So, to confirm I checked again, and then it stopped doing it. All lights were working and indicator going at correct speed; I should also mention that it starts to happens on like the second/third time of indicating etc. the only thing I didn’t check was whether the front indicator/side light was still coming on when braking. So, now I’m even more confused.

Got anything in the boot that could be moving and touching the bad earth ( still think that is what it is ) and causing the connection to be intermittently good. Other point to note is that if it is a bad earth, with succesive current flowing through it ( like indicators! ) then it will get hot, hot = burning ( ie corrosion ) etc etc

Got anything in the boot that could be moving and touching the bad earth ( still think that is what it is ) and causing the connection to be intermittently good. Other point to note is that if it is a bad earth, with succesive current flowing through it ( like indicators! ) then it will get hot, hot = burning ( ie corrosion ) etc etc

Whereabouts in the boot should I be looking?

anywhere! You know, old umbrella's , the odd dead body or so :). No seriously ( would have to be a small body ! ) anything that is rattling about. You could just empty the boot totally, carpet spare if you have one, tools etc, and go for a drive but all that would prove is that something is/was banging on the bad earth. It won't fix it. Take it somewhere to be fixed, it won't get better only worse and you really do not want to be hit because your brake lights were not coming on. And yes leave it for long enough and that is possible.Sorry !

anywhere! You know, old umbrella's , the odd dead body or so :). No seriously ( would have to be a small body ! ) anything that is rattling about. You could just empty the boot totally, carpet spare if you have one, tools etc, and go for a drive but all that would prove is that something is/was banging on the bad earth. It won't fix it. Take it somewhere to be fixed, it won't get better only worse and you really do not want to be hit because your brake lights were not coming on. And yes leave it for long enough and that is possible.Sorry !
Thank you!

I’ll phone garage and they can give it the once over.

Okay, so reversed up to something today to see if lights dimmed. Out my brakes on and the left indicator and I’m sure I saw the brake dim. Also, when I brakes the reverse light went out. So, to confirm I checked again, and then it stopped doing it. All lights were working and indicator going at correct speed; I should also mention that it starts to happens on like the second/third time of indicating etc. the only thing I didn’t check was whether the front indicator/side light was still coming on when braking. So, now I’m even more confused.
nothing changed

still highly likely to be the centre black wire in the rear light cluster connector

Yeah that. sometimes resistance gets a bit less after a few times applying everything. Think of a blocked drain that let minimal water through. Give it enough pressure and for a short while, water flows through. And the next time it will not drain at all.

Question @Lorna87 : How do you change a lightbulb in the back cluster? If you can do that the job is halfway done...
I mean... we can go on talking online about it, but that's no remedy...

gr J

I don’t change the lights, as I don’t know how to and have never needed to. I was just anxious it was going to be a major problem. I’ll just take it to garage tomorrow, but wanted to have some idea of what it was.

Back