Incorrect but 'correct' Oil Filter

Currently reading:
Incorrect but 'correct' Oil Filter

J4MALD1N

Hi all,

I thought I'd share a rather interesting experience I had after servicing my Punto Evo 1.4 8v a few weeks ago.

I'd purchased everything from fluids to a new water pump kit from Shop4Parts. Nothing against them, a great place for parts and items for Italian vehicles.

Now the focus is more towards the oil change. I had purchased a Magneti Marelli Oil Filter (153071760123) along with the recommended Oil. All arrived well and fitted without issue. I had noticed from this point onwards however, that on cold starts, my engine would clatter momentarily; it was almost as if there was no oil or it decided to become a diesel. This was supplemented with an Oil Pressure light on the dash. Now this only lasted for a second or two after start until the oil pump had circulated the oil around etc. but I was a tad concerned and knew something wasn't right.

I know for a fact that some Oil Filters have a non return valve to prevent dry starts. I suspected this was likely the issue as I've never had this issue, oil was correct and having done some research, there's no information of my particular filter having a non-return valve.

I had gone to EuroCarParts to pickup a Bosch Oil Filter (0986 452 041) which explicitly states that it has a non-return valve. Having fitted this, the noise has disappeared and no more oil pressure light on startup, in fact, it disappears just as the engine cranks to life. Massive relief.

I thought I'd share this as despite Shop4Parts displaying the Marelli filter as compatible (cross-checked by myself), it seems this wasn't the case, unless I was sold a dud filter. Now I know it'd be a while until this would cause serious issues however in the long run, I'm certain this would lead to premature wear particularly in the winter months.

So my message, do make sure all replacement items work as intended. The part number of the Marelli Filter shows as being compatible for the 1.4 8v which just makes things a but more confusing…

Back