General Inbuilt satnav specifically for the 500

Currently reading:
General Inbuilt satnav specifically for the 500

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Yes you can buy them the second one is 650€ from some Italian stores and Italian ebay, the first one you can buy from the link below. it is £399 or best offer so I guess £380ish. I called the British ebay guys and they have not got them in stock but order direct from china.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280819055304?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_11012wt_1026
hi
did a search on the net and i can get the one off ebay direct from the supplyer with a dvb-t mpeg 4 tuner for £365.00 all in.
what do you think
cheers paul

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
hi
did a search on the net and i can get the one off ebay direct from the supplyer with a dvb-t mpeg 4 tuner for £365.00 all in.
what do you think
cheers paul

Are you looking to buy this for the feature set or the Sat Nav capability ?
If I had a choice between a 'fly by night' ebayer versus one who advertises that they will 'hold your hold hand' I'd pay the extra £15 and possibly plum for a professional install.

I would be a newbie when it comes to Sat Navs but the 'Live' feature on the some of the higher end Sat Navs is pretty slick and makes it useful if you're travelling across the city. This doesn't appear to be on this one.

Also it seems to need a 500 with B&Me installed. Unsure if it would work on a POP.

Before purchasing this product, please ensure you doa full research into whether this will fit your cars radio space and also thecanbus system will link up to provide steering wheel controls. If you are notsure, please email us for advice and furnish us with your year and model of carand we will confirm. Failure to do so may result in you being disappointed witha unit not fully compatible. Not all year of cars are compatible.

Are you looking to buy this for the feature set or the Sat Nav capability ?
If I had a choice between a 'fly by night' ebayer versus one who advertises that they will 'hold your hold hand' I'd pay the extra £15 and possibly plum for a professional install.

I would be a newbie when it comes to Sat Navs but the 'Live' feature on the some of the higher end Sat Navs is pretty slick and makes it useful if you're travelling across the city. This doesn't appear to be on this one.

Also it seems to need a 500 with B&Me installed. Unsure if it would work on a POP.

Before purchasing this product, please ensure you doa full research into whether this will fit your cars radio space and also thecanbus system will link up to provide steering wheel controls. If you are notsure, please email us for advice and furnish us with your year and model of carand we will confirm. Failure to do so may result in you being disappointed witha unit not fully compatible. Not all year of cars are compatible.
hi
i will be backed with paypal and yes it can have the live feature(tmc) as a extra.
will see how much for the tmc and will keep you posted
paul

hi
i will be backed with paypal and yes it can have the live feature(tmc) as a extra.
paul

There's a good explanation here on explaning 'Live Traffic' on a Sat Nav.
The one that you are referring to - TMC refers to Traffic Managment Channel and it would not be as sophisticated as a Live Traffic update on a Sat Nav like the a HD Tom Tom. This uses the sim chip from your mobile to get the updates and it is more accurate and it 'integrates'. Only problem is that it costs around €/£45 notes a year for the subscription. I have attached below a recent example where the Tom Tom suggested a new route when it realised that there was a traffic delay ahead caused by road works.

A few more things while I'm at it...

(Disclaimer: I haven't tried this unit out - only read the advertisement)
  • The Maps on this built in jobbie does not have legitimate European maps. The ones that you can get would not be officially supported.
  • Speaker instructions for the Sat Nav would come through the car speakers - not ideal - I prefer for them to come from the actual Sat Nav and leave the car Speakers to play music, etc.
  • Having the capability to play DVDs etc. would be a safety issue for the driver. Some of the very recent new designs allow a 'screen' which has 2 modes - one for the Sat Nav and the other for the passenger where they can watch a DVD, etc. depending on which angle you are looking at it from.
  • There does appear to be a feature to hook to other screens e.g. head rest type ones but it's debatable if it's worth using it for that.
  • It can be used in cars without B&Me i.e. POP models since it has Bluetooth 'built-in' it would appear that you would have a 'handsfree' setup.
  • If you have the audio steering controls on a 500 with B&Me installed these appear to work with the unit.
  • Does have an add on module for watching TV, etc. but do you need this ?
  • Does not appear to have any safety camera updates like the Cyclops one which is used on the Garmin or the Tom Tom or can be purchased as a seperate app for the iphone. Accept that there's an annual subscription fee for this but it's often a 'bundled price'. They're selling point is 'keeping an eye on the road ahead...'
I wonder if you had this built-in sav installed how often will you have your eye off the road.;)

Attachments

• Traffic delay.JPG
    Traffic delay.JPG
    218.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Go around traffic delay.JPG
    Go around traffic delay.JPG
    223.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
There's a good explanation here on explaning 'Live Traffic' on a Sat Nav.
The one that you are referring to - TMC refers to Traffic Managment Channel and it would not be as sophisticated as a Live Traffic update on a Sat Nav like the a HD Tom Tom. This uses the sim chip from your mobile to get the updates and it is more accurate and it 'integrates'. Only problem is that it costs around €/£45 notes a year for the subscription. I have attached below a recent example where the Tom Tom suggesting a new route when it realised that they was a traffic delay ahead caused by road works.

A few more things while I'm at it...

(Disclaimer: I haven't tried this unit out - only read the advertisement)
  • The Maps on this built in jobbie does not have legitimate European maps. The ones that you can get would not be officially supported.
  • Speaker instructions for the Sat Nav would come through the car speakers - not ideal - I prefer for them to come from the actual Sat Nav and leave the car Speakers to play music, etc.
  • Having the capability to play DVDs etc. would be a safety issue for the driver. Some of the very recent new designs allow a 'screen' which has 2 modes - one for the Sat Nav and the other for the passenger where they can watch a DVD, etc. depending on which angle you are looking at it from.
  • There does appear to be a feature to hook to other screens e.g. head rest type ones but it's debatable if it's worth using it for that.
  • It can be used in cars without B&Me i.e. POP models since it has Bluetooth 'built-in' it would appear that you would have a 'handsfree' setup.
  • If you have the audio steering controls on a 500 with B&Me installed these appear to work with the unit.
  • Does have an add on module for watching TV, etc. but do you need this ?
  • Does not appear to have any safety camera updates like the Cyclops one which is used on the Garmin or the Tom Tom or can be purchased as a seperate app for the iphone. Accept that there's an annual subscription fee for this but it's often a 'bundled price'. They're selling point is 'keeping an eye on the road ahead...'
I wonder if you had this built-in sav installed how often will you have your eye off the road.;)
HI
all the above a good read but really at the end of the day it looks factory fit rather than fitted to the dash(fiats gps)or stuck to the front screen.you can also use tomtom as it supports it.

HI
all the above a good read but really at the end of the day it looks factory fit rather than fitted to the dash(fiats gps)or stuck to the front screen.you can also use tomtom as it supports it.

Don't understand why one would buy a built in sat nav if one already has a Tom Tom ?

Can understand why you would be interested - it does look very 'factory fit'. For me personally I would be looking for substance that works in 'real life situations' and not something that just looks good with limited Sat Nav features.

IMHO the Sat Nav in the 68R option port looks the part but some have remarked that they might have perferred it if it was in a central position.

If you decide to go for it I would be very interested in an update as to how you got on.(y)

Don't understand why one would buy a built in sat nav if one already has a Tom Tom ?

Can understand why you would be interested - it does look very 'factory fit'. For me personally I would be looking for substance that works in 'real life situations' and not something that just looks good with limited Sat Nav features.

IMHO the Sat Nav in the 68R option port looks the part but some have remarked that they might have perferred it if it was in a central position.

If you decide to go for it I would be very interested in an update as to how you got on.(y)

Anybody remember this post:

https://www.fiatforum.com/500/281931-what-one-thing-would-you-change-2.html?p=2858115

I'm with you on this one; I love the 'integrated' look but realistically my smartphone already has more functionality than this unit.

If only FIAT would implement A2DP over Blue&Me :mad:.

Anybody remember this post:

https://www.fiatforum.com/500/281931-what-one-thing-would-you-change-2.html?p=2858115

I'm with you on this one; I love the 'integrated' look but realistically my smartphone already has more functionality than this unit.

If only FIAT would implement A2DP over Blue&Me :mad:.
LOOKED AT YOU POST ,it would be good if the windows ce6 was able to connect to the net as i have bt internet and could use a hotspot outside.
dont have a sat nav at the moment so this would be a bonus,would look into installing tomtom maps as these can be used.
also i drop daughter of at dancing twice aweek so the digital tv and dvd player would be well used..

LOOKED AT YOU POST ,it would be good if the windows ce6 was able to connect to the net as i have bt internet and could use a hotspot outside.
dont have a sat nav at the moment so this would be a bonus,would look into installing tomtom maps as these can be used.
also i drop daughter of at dancing twice aweek so the digital tv and dvd player would be well used..

I had a look back on your original posts to see if you had a 'newer' 500 with the 68R option port and I take it that you still have the one with the bodykit. Given the 'design', I thought your car was ahead of its time with the painted roof and the blackened alloys and it looks like a Twin Air plus.
It would be interesting to look back on this thread in 3 years so I will have to be careful not to discourage anyone prepared to pioneer the setup.
Here was the last thread that was on sat navs - some good inputs particularly on a Garmin with life time subscription. If you had the 68R option port the Tom Tom would have been a nice option but it's 'bloody' expensive. Realise that it's the 'lifestyle' of the 'build-in' unit that you're after with the sat nav as a nice to have.
Also, if your daughter sits in the back it will be hard for her to see the screen of the unit.

Last edited:
I have tomtom on my iphone with the tomtom live traffic services and it is great but I would love to have something like this built in.
I would also hook up a reversing camera just because it can have one. it is one of those things that I would never use but it is a good project.

ORDERD
units comes with dvd/dvb-t tv/gps/bluetooth/camera for rear should be here within 10 days so when its in i will post pics
thanks for all the input....

Nice one. What price did you pay and where did you order from?

Don't forget import duty and VAT to add to that price when it arrives from China

it is being shipped as a gift so fingers crossed,had alsorts from china as gifts and no problems to date

Car parts should attract 5% duty at customs but when importing parts for my Stingray from the US I've been charged variously 5%, 10% and 0% so I think a lot depends on the whim of the customs official on duty at the time...

hi
paul

with maps,postage,paypal fee and all the antennas £400.00

it is being shipped as a gift so fingers crossed,had alsorts from china as gifts and no problems to date

[Paul (pmw1230) - please ignore this posting :eek: - I'm sure your sat nav will arrive & it will be perfect]

Just as 'pointer' for other members on the Forum - in a 'weak' moment I got my arm twisted to pay for a pair of shoes that the OH found on the web through Paypal. They were priced at a 'too good to be true' price (they were still 'stupid' money in my opinion but I know very little about shoes). Shoes arrived after around 10 days from China and the rear heel of one of the shoes was marked (picture attached). Contacted the seller by email looking for an address to return them but could not get one despite around 10 emails designed to frustrate me. The packaging that they came in had a postal address in Chinese (we did eventually get it translated). The OH deals with the Chinese and we've had our moments with the 'lost in translation' (below would be an example of where they get the spelling wrong). After bottoming out on getting the issue resolved through Paypal where they said that they couldn't help us since the item was not bought through ebay the only other way was to get the money back was to get the Credit card company involved to cancel the payment - but even that wasn't straight forward because Paypal were in the 'middle'. In the end I went done to the local shoe 'maker' and he did a repair job on them. The OH has if memory serves me correct only worn them once. Lesson I learnt was to only buy through ebay for paypal protection. If you buy outside it you are really on your own and you really have to trust the seller particularly through an 'email' transfer. A number of sites e.g. www.daft.ie warn individuals not to use it but ironically I ask individuals to reserve small amounts through it.

I would guess that in another 5 years the New China will be Malaysia since the prices in China are getting higher. So much for some trying to learn Mandarin.

Below is the email from Paypal telling me they couldn't do anything for us.

Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 15:37:52 +0000
To: michael
Subject: RE: MerchandiseDispute:BuyerProtection (Routing Code: C372-L001-T3990-S111-W0000M0) (KMM54201066I96L0KM) :ppk4

Dear Michael,

Thank you for contacting PayPal. I understand you are disappointed that
PayPal is unable to cover you on your claim with case id PP-850-276-021.

I understand your enquiry regarding the case you filed that was closed
without investigation.
I have reviewed the transaction in question and it is with regret that we
are unable to open an immediate investigation into your claim.

Currently, we only investigate claims which are filed as ‘Significantly Not
as Described’ if the item was bought on eBay and paid for with PayPal
(using the category 'eBay item' and the respective auction number).

Since you purchased your goods outside of eBay or have not marked your
goods as eBay items while paying through PayPal, we are not able to
investigate your claim. This is because we are unable to compare pre-sales
and post-purchase descriptions of the item.

I am here to provide you the reasons for this decision and will give
guidance for any future claims that you wish to make.

PayPal is not the venue that lists the item and we do not act as an escrow
service. Because an item is not advertised or listed by our service, we are
not in the position to verify the quality of an item delivered as opposed
to what was advertised.

We recommend first contacting the seller's customer service email address.
You may wish to contact your auction site regarding the dispute; as the
venue that lists the item, they may be able to help you or contact a third
party mediator.

If you'd like more information please have a look at our User Agreement.
You can find it by clicking on the link at the bottom of any PayPal page.
Alternatively, if you are a UK customer, you may wish to contact Consumer
Direct (http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk) for advice on your consumer
rights.

I realise that you are not satisfied with the outcome of this case. This is
an arbitration service offered by PayPal to help resolve disagreements
between buyers and sellers but as you can imagine it is extremely difficult
for us to reach a decision which satisfies all parties.

Thank you for your time.

Yours sincerely,
Renalyn
PayPal

Copyright © 1999-2009 PayPal. All rights reserved.

PayPal (Europe) S.à r.l. et Cie, S.C.A.
Société en Commandite par Actions
Registered Office: 22-24 Boulevard Royal L-2449, Luxembourg
RCS Luxembourg B 118 349

Attachments

• defective christian louboutin.jpg
    defective christian louboutin.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 758
  • Best Wishe.JPG
    Best Wishe.JPG
    343.5 KB · Views: 24
Did it arrive yet? I am interested in looking at some photos.

Back