General Inbuilt satnav specifically for the 500

Currently reading:
General Inbuilt satnav specifically for the 500

Have they disconnected the battery, left it a while and reconnected it? I think I've only heard of one properly faulty B&M unit before.

I tried that a few times now, following advise from a different thread on the forum. It irradiates the flashing temporarily.

Even left the power unhooked overnight. No change in the B&M....
It doesn't even say anything when you press the button on the steering.
Nor is there even any options in the stereo menu.
Half expected to find a dangling wire where it used to be..

I've tried the B&M 5.5 update but nothing... The system doesn't even knowledge there is a USB there. Tried with two different USB sticks (4 & 1Gb) both FAT32 formatted.

I've looked all round the car, removing panels, trying to locate the B&M convergence unit, with no success. I even know what part I need, albeit it must come from Italy...

Seems a bit pointless as I can't find it to fit it and the Abarth dealer charges over £100 p/h labour... Plus I expect them to politely tell me to get f%^&ed, if I buy the part on the cheap.

Plus no guarantee that will work...

I like the B&M system, used it in a number of rental 500s. It was one of the things that attracted me to the car tbh.

But if this other head unit looks the part, replaces the B&M, supports the steering and CANBUS and has touch screen etc... Seems like a win.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Abarth 500, 135 bhp, Campovolo Grey w/ Red decals

Also, may I add.

The garage I spoke to had 5/6 B&M convergence units on back order from Italy...
Not so reliable!

Cheers

Great thread,

Has anyone successfully installed TomTom to the device?

Are you using the device with an iPhone? If so, does it load up the phone book etc...? How good is the call feature?

Very tempted to buy one of these as my B&M is shafted with the garage asking for £550 to replace the convergence unit (just out of warranty).

Already took £135 to replace the usb port, of which I told them wouldn't fix it :bang:

Also, has anyone experienced a flashing odometer when using this stereo? Apparently this can come up when the CANBUS isn't working as it should... Hoping that this won't happen as this stereo seems to support all the CANBUS stuff (steering controls, power on with ignition etc).

Any advice, greatly appreciated.

I'd be asking for a refund on that if I were you. It's all well and good playing trail and error with warranty footing the bill, but your own money??

...Also, has anyone experienced a flashing odometer when using this stereo? Apparently this can come up when the CANBUS isn't working as it should... Hoping that this won't happen as this stereo seems to support all the CANBUS stuff (steering controls, power on with ignition etc).

Any advice, greatly appreciated.

Personally I would not be a fan of leaving a battery disconnected for too long. I had an issue on a different model Fiat where a garage had left the battery disconnected for around 3 days and I ended up with an airbag light problem. In relation to the flashing odometer I doubt it may not be related to the Stereo or you B&Me issue.

Going back to your issue of the not being able to update the B&Me to 5.5 from a USB key one idea is to ask the Fiat Garage where you had the last work done is to switch /swop the Blue&Me unit from another A500 (preferably of the same year) with yours to see if the issue is resolved. Get the impression that you have the B&Me without the AUX input. An Alfa garage had proposed doing this for me to resolve an issue that I have / had with a Tom Tom Live 2 unit. The B&Me unit for the Fiat / Alfa range costs around 300 euros + vat and labour wise it takes around 30 minutes to do the swop.

If you were keen on the built in unit that's on this thread I get the impression that it still needs the B&Me to work judging by the way that it has been advertised.

P.S. Your A500 should be producing 145bhp in standard form.;)

I ordered one a few weeks back and it turned up today.
The other car that I just got has a nav system so I got one for the 500.
It comes with a reversing camera that I will have a play around with when I have a bit more time.
7976817207_90218b4ce3_b.jpg

7976819432_cc40bbc547_b.jpg

7976818213_1e6534d1b4_b.jpg

I have only just had a few mins to play around with it and it seems good.

Looks really nice.. please post where you bought from.. have been looking around the italian EBAY.. but it would be nice to have a "hint" on the reliable seller.. ;-)

Can I ask why none has chosen this model

ebay.it/itm/Fiat-500-Cinquecento-Autoradio-6-2-Touchscreen-BT-DVD-USB-SD-GPS-AVI-MP3-DIVX-/250936756393?pt=Autoradio&hash=item3a6cff08a9

is it the price that is to high??

secondly there are som kits out there as well, that looks like it wil make the B & M work on other units... but maybe I'm wrong in this.. :

ebay.it/itm/Doppio-2-Din-NEW-FIAT-500-Blue-me-kit-comandi-volante-/120750480399?pt=Monitor_Caricatori_ed_Accessori&hash=item1c1d4a1c0f

would be really nice to get your honest opinion later on, on your purchase, funtionality and so, and what NAV software is it using??

I´m not alloved yet to post URL's, that's why they are not marked.... sorry

Last edited:
I wonder if anyone can help. I also have one of these satnav's but cant get the steering wheel controls to work. When you go into the steering wheel menu you have an option for selection the type of car, but stupidly there is no 500 in the list. It basically all comes down to how you setup the canbus... but I have no idea. Can anyone with one of these units help at all? please.

I wonder if anyone can help. I also have one of these satnav's but cant get the steering wheel controls to work. When you go into the steering wheel menu you have an option for selection the type of car, but stupidly there is no 500 in the list. It basically all comes down to how you setup the canbus... but I have no idea. Can anyone with one of these units help at all? please.

You need to do a reflash of the software and it will work. There is a new version out. Talk with your supplier and they should supply you with instructions and what to do to get it working.

I think you still need to put it under the VW settings to get it to work. I will have a look next time I get my 500 out of the garage (that may be a couple of weeks)

Back