General In limp mode with P04088 fault code - now running again. Fiddle/clean, or leave alone?

Currently reading:
General In limp mode with P04088 fault code - now running again. Fiddle/clean, or leave alone?

The wife called, stuck at work, EM light on and car in limp mode. Not enough power to get up the hill outside!

I headed out there and read code P04088 via the OBD Bluetooth. Thinking at this stage it could be EGR or throttle body.

IMG_1441.jpeg

AA attended and his system narrowed it down to EGR, flap stuck open. Ran a can of Wynns EGR cleaner through it in short bursts whilst I held the throttle at 2k ish. Defo dislodged some stuff as it smoked a bit and never has before. The AA class this as a permanent repair, whereas some products they say are only a temporary measure and work will still be required.

Started running right again, cleared code. Driven home 8 miles, gave it a hooning on the way. It’s stopped smoking and is running well, no EM light now.

Question - leave it alone to see how it goes? Or pull it apart to clean EGR properly (I really don’t want to!).

Was that a similar clean to mine, can through the inlet whilst running, as opposed to remove and clean properly?
Yes.
I did a forced regen after too. This takes exhaust temperature to 850C. When it played up again I decided just to change it. I found the main dealer price to change it was less than the eBay parts prices. I would reiterate my warnings of spraying this stuff. It must be done in very small burst and then allow time for engine running to recover. I put too much in and the engine absolutley stopped dead. I thought I had destroyed it. These products do seem to work. Subsequent to the new EGR I used diesel clean additives every few tanks of fuel and it never played up again, hence I think the use of the additves is good if very expensive. My Renault Laguna also had to have a new EGR fitted I think at about 30K. Another example of the useful emissions equipment being the only cause of breakdowns these days. But of course we all know how it means emissions are exactly as the makers say, ha bloody ha. All this unreliab;e crap fitted, and your and my wallets emptied constantly to to repair it, when due to emissions cheating it actually does B***** all. I bet these additives were all invented in Germany by VW engineers in their lunch hours!!!

I would see if fault returns and if it does fit a new egr valve from a decent manufacturer.
That.

I'm curious as to whether using a premium fuel would reduce the chance of this occurring in future, and what the economics would be?

An extra 10p/litre at 50mpg works out at about £90 every 10,000 miles.

Last edited:
That.

I'm curious as to whether using a premium fuel would reduce the chance of this occurring in future, and what the economics would be?

Hi,

I have no information at all on the above.

Best wishes

Jack

Last edited:
I have a local Costco filling station. They sell premium diesel for less than other local garages sell the 'regular', which means I use the premium as often as I can. Not sure of its cleaning ability but the car definitely runs more smoothly and sounds less tractor like at start up.

My old Multipla used to chuck out loads of some when the EGR got stuck, which was my cue to clean it. Question: with a particulcate trap in the Panda, would I now see less (if any) back smoke off vale blocked/stuck, or would the trap trap it all?

Last edited:
That.

Currently, and for a couple of months now, the local Shell station has been about 1p a litre cheaper than the supermarket stations. So have been getting to that when I can.

Seems to be no controlling where the wife fills up though, or with how much! A couple of weeks ago we bought a car to replace our Galaxy, with a week to go on that insurance. As new car needed brakes doing I said leave it on the drive and I’ll sort the brakes before the new insurance policy starts. Two days later (with about 200 miles of driving planned) she did a full fill on the near empty Galaxy, it takes over £100 and does 600 miles plus to the tank!!! 🤦🏼‍♂️

Question: with a particulcate trap in the Panda, would I now see less (if any) back smoke off vale blocked/stuck, or would the trap trap it all?
Once this can had been run through there was defo smoke out the back, both during the latter stages of the can, and for the first couple of hoof fulls of throttle. The AA man was worried about the bumper of the car parked behind during the treatment, til I told him that was mine too.

I would reiterate my warnings of spraying this stuff. It must be done in very small burst and then allow time for engine running to recover. I put too much in and the engine absolutley stopped dead. I thought I had destroyed it.

I can imagine it might if the revs weren’t being held, or perhaps even if they were (as we did, I kept em at 2k before the can was squirted in short bursts).

It sounded similar to back in the old days of using Bradex Easy Start as an air leak finder. Once squirted the revs would initially rise before the engine tried to stall.

But never let it drop below 1.5k during this EGR clean and all is well.

I can imagine it might if the revs weren’t being held, or perhaps even if they were (as we did, I kept em at 2k before the can was squirted in short bursts).

It sounded similar to back in the old days of using Bradex Easy Start as an air leak finder. Once squirted the revs would initially rise before the engine tried to stall.

But never let it drop below 1.5k during this EGR clean and all is well.
I certainly learned my lesson. Thankfully no harm was done.

Car went into limp mode again late last night, fortunately the wife made it home but was a bit touch and go on low power up some of these Cumbrian hills!

Checked codes this morn, P0488 again. So clearly the EGR is still being sticky.

Gonna take it out tomoz, give it a good blast with carb cleaner and attack it with a wire brush and coat hanger. I have read it is difficult to access, any tips welcome before I start pulling it apart. 🙏

Back