General I'm back

Currently reading:
General I'm back

It also comes with the more usual Panda stuff

Yeah rust. But not half as bad as I expected.

I haven't run the engine yet as the starter motor is goosed. But the engine turns easily enough. I have a spare starter elsewhere which I will be collecting in a few days.
I have some slight concerns due to the cooling radiator reserve/top up being empty but it may not mean blown head gasket.
I'm not completely sure why the car was laid up for 10 years.

Generally so far there doesn't seem to be anything too terrible. Or will I eat those words

Last edited:
Well what do you know. A 2nd hand starter drawn fro stock, a WD 40 service and some fresh petrol and the little car runs like a peach.
Drove it round for a bit and the heater warmed upand the clutch and gearbox behaved.
The main cooling rad seems to have a leak so I will either put my hand in my pocket for some K Seal or draw a rad from stock.

All in all it is a much better car than I expected so I will probably do the welding and MoT it in order to transfer the personal plate it carries.

Then I'll attack it with the grinder

Actually there is some other stuff available which costs £40 and "guarantees" to cure failing head gaskets.

Either the motor trade is still a shady business or it is possible to save (us 'Punters') money.

I'm yet to be convinced that all life's problems can be solved with a chemical fix.

Wow an actual update.

I treated my self to a little recreational work on the Black Panda. Yeah I know I mentioned a radical alteration but I fancy transferring the private plate that came with it onto something else so that rather involves MoTing the cheekie little blighter.

So it runs great now, I splashed out and put a'NEW' exhaust on,drew a rad and bonnet from stock and fitted them, made up lots of new earth tags and cleaned the hedgehogs (so that now the dash lights don't come on when you press the horn) so all is good.

But there was a rust issue. Standing about for 10 years did the sills no favours. One was 'holed' and though the other looked fine, the bottom of it had 'separated' and was flapping about.

While I have bodywork sections donated by dying Pandas I went for repair over replacement. And I was going to buy new metal but as the car will ultimately become a radical project I went for cheap and easy and raided the old rusty bonnet as source material.

1st the 'flappy sill. I cut it off for proper access

And then found the lower edge to be very weak, so I trimmed that as well.

Prepped the inner sill, made up a repair panel and plug welded it in

I cut some metal strips and welded them into the outer sill. A zillion tack welds then join them all up

Then I drilled it before plug welding it back on. When I cut it off I was carefull to seperate it at the top just below the door tread so there was an angle to prevent it distorting when welding.

Sorry about the rubbish pics but they are from my phone.

My next update will be the doors which had classic Panda rot.

They are done and refitted. I will try to post tomorrow.

Not too many pics as my phone is rubbish for happy snappies and anyhow I had a lot to do.

So the doors were rusty and the driver side had a pretty big dent in it.

So I cut out the rust ground out the bottom, bent up some right angle section and.....

plug welded it on. Again I'll mention this is no fancy repair, just quick. Normally I would have cut off enough rusty door so that I could add the sections to the inside which is my more aesthetic.

I made up the door skin repair in the same fashion (beating a piece of Panda bonnet over a bit of angle in the vice) drilled it, plug welded it, spread a bit of filler over it and brush painted it with red oxide.

This is the repair section just welded in. I did 'Joddle' the edge of the repair as it is easy, makes a huge difference and saves on filler.

The worst of the dent I pulled out by welding bolts the the deepest points, bolting a bar to them and just yanking. Not good, not pretty but in this instance I don't need clever.

Passenger door OK

Drivers door, good enough.
Incidentally I just noticed on another post that there is a place where you can get door repair panels for about £25 plus P+P. I reckon they are worth it. (Perhaps our Mod John will patch it in please)

This is a fairly proper repair. Cut out the rust, on the inner and outer arch. Made a section, drilled and plug welded on the inner, then the same for the outer. Smear of filler and a good rub and Bob's yer Auntie (as they say in the gender reassignment trade)

That's pretty much it. I won't mention the rust in the tailgate catch area which I had completely forgotten about. I had to replace the whole lot side to side. Laugh? I nearly started smoking again.

So now it's prep for Mot. I have cut of all the original earth and crimped new ones on and I'm working my way through the electrics wiggling things until they work.

Back