if pulled could I be in trouble

Currently reading:
if pulled could I be in trouble

I got my car taxed at weekend, I havent put the disc in yet. Well I was supposed to before I left work this morning.

I wont be able to get the new tax disc until wednesday evening, cos its in Hs coat pocket :eek:

If i am pulled for having no tax could i get into trouble eventhough if they did a check it would show my car as being taxed?!

I wont be going to Hs till wednesday night though so I cant put the new disc in the car :eek:

I think they can still do you for not displaying a valid tax disk even if they do check that you have a valid current tax :)

which brings me to my arguement, why even have tax disks nowadays as its computerised :confused: Trafficwardens have their wireless PDAs that can check as to police cars, so really no need for them now! :bang:

Luke1985 said:
I think they can still do you for not displaying a valid tax disk even if they do check that you have a valid current tax :)

which brings me to my arguement, why even have tax disks nowadays as its computerised :confused: Trafficwardens have their wireless PDAs that can check as to police cars, so really no need for them now! :bang:

does seem a bit daft.... like i said, the car is taxed and they can check that for themselves... I think i would kick off if they tried to "do me" for it

Luke1985 said:

Gives an instant indication about a car and how genuine it might be in terms of legality, much quicker to gain an idea from a tax disc than calling through every time.

You MUST display a valid tax disk at all times,Failure to do so results in a fine.:eek:
IMO just leave your old one in the windscreen till wednesday.:devil: All depends on the copper who pulls you over whether you get done or not!(y)

Luke1985 said:
But they dont 'call' through anymore - they do an electronic search through the reg plate - so just as quick as having a nose in most cases
Although in theory this makes sense, someone could drive someone elses ligit car with permission but with no insurance or much worse, no license.

ANPR will only display who is meant to be in the car not who is actually in the car.

I was given a warning for not displaying a Tax Disc, had fallen off the windscreen earlier that journey and I was stopped at a Police check point and told even though its on computer it still carries a Fixed penalty of £100

Trancendental said:
Although in theory this makes sense, someone could drive someone elses ligit car with permission but with no insurance or much worse, no license.

ANPR will only display who is meant to be in the car not who is actually in the car.

which is a fair point, although thats a different point to having a tax disk in the car or not ;)

I think I will just have to risk it, I am only going to work and back both times ots dark anyway. I think they would pull me over if there was something wronmng with my car but other than that i cant see that they would see the disc anyway. I was tempted to drive back tonight and get it, but its 60 miles from work :(

End of the day its taxed, its legally on the road.

Luke1985 said:
But they dont 'call' through anymore - they do an electronic search through the reg plate - so just as quick as having a nose in most cases

You're a policeman, you're doing 30 down a residential street with cars parked on the side of the road. A car with no tax disc is instantly going to arise suspicion, typing in every single reg plate along that road is not feasible. It's an instant indicator of what might be lurking when that car is looked into, you would never have spotted it if tax discs didn't exist.

It's like having a permit to park within a car park, unecessary since the operator could have a database of cars allowed within that carpark. However, it's tonnes quicker to notice a missing permit and then check up the car on the database and see if they have just lost their permit/parking illegally.

If the worst comes to the worst then send a grovelling letter with proof that you had tax at the time and if you have them all your old ones to show that you are not in the habit of dodging tax.

Worked for my Dad after he got ticketed whilst parked in a pay and display bay.

Liam

The Negotiator said:
You're a policeman, you're doing 30 down a residential street with cars parked on the side of the road. A car with no tax disc is instantly going to arise suspicion, typing in every single reg plate along that road is not feasible. It's an instant indicator of what might be lurking when that car is looked into, you would never have spotted it if tax discs didn't exist.

It's like having a permit to park within a car park, unecessary since the operator could have a database of cars allowed within that carpark. However, it's tonnes quicker to notice a missing permit and then check up the car on the database and see if they have just lost their permit/parking illegally.

You shouldn't be looking at the tax discs while driving down a residential street with cars parked each side doing 30.. Concentrate on driving. The cars have ANPR camera that do the check themselves - they dont need to be typed in.

I was referring to the passenger, not all police cars have the recognition system fitted, do they? Parked cars can't be read as they can't be seen etc. etc. hence why tax discs are still necessary.

The Negotiator said:
I was referring to the passenger, not all police cars have the recognition system fitted, do they? Parked cars can't be read as they can't be seen etc. etc. hence why tax discs are still necessary.
Don't think at 30 you would notice a missing Tax Disc anyway unless you were looking out for it and 30 is still a wee bit fast.

Drop your posts, This thread is being Hi-Jacked!
I'm thinking of Putting my Tax Disc in a silly place like Top-Centre of the windscreen, who thinks this is 'da lick'?

oh dear...ok, not at 30, at 20, 25, 21, 23mph whatever, a bobby on the beat, a guy who has a next door neighbour who keeps 12 cars and 6 on the road with no tax disc and he wants the council involved, somebody who is wanting to buy the car second hand and wants to know how much tax is on, it's irrelevant! There's still a million times a tax disc will be useful in various scenarios...I am pretty sure the policeman on here will back me up. Watching traffic cops (etc.) it seems like a pretty common thing:

"I get a gutfeeling with a car, maybe I don't see a tax disc or the person isn't wearing a seatbelt, it often brings up a lot of history about somebody or a car"

If I can get that off 30 mins of TV then I am sure there's oodles of info backing up why a tax disc is necessary, including numerous studies to see whether they can be phased out and investigations into how useful they are.

Why not have a tax certificate just like MOT or insurance or V5..

Tax discs don't prove anything. You could buy a car with a tax disc but no insurance or MOT. Which is more critical? Knowing the owner has paid the government 100 quid or knowing the driver has insurance/the car is roadworthy? I'd rather have MOT displayed in the window and having tax being a requirement for MOT.

Back