if pulled could I be in trouble

Currently reading:
if pulled could I be in trouble

Me too, with an insurance certificate. However, I never said having a tax disc means that the car is legal, I said it is a good indicator. It is not feasible to check every car on a database but a quick glance can tell you whether further investigation might turn up a few things.

Hellcat said:
You shouldn't be looking at the tax discs while driving down a residential street with cars parked each side doing 30.. Concentrate on driving.

thats why "old sweat" drivers have proby operators!!:rolleyes: so happy to make it past that stage;)

having said that (war story alert) first ever arrest:stop for no tax disc, turned out to be stolen car, offensive weapon and...illegal immigrant! (y)

Sammibo if you have got the tax disc then don't worry about it. There is an offence of not displaying a tax disc but these offences are dealt with by customs & excise not the police they only report the facts to C&E.

If stopped and reported the report wouldn't go any further than the C&E paper sift as they have the full details of where & when the disc was purchased and would not procede with a failing to display on it's own knowing the car was fully taxed.

Trancendental said:
I'm thinking of Putting my Tax Disc in a silly place like Top-Centre of the windscreen, who thinks this is 'da lick'?
The tax disc must be displayed on the left-hand side of the windscreen. The Coupe has a tax holder behinf the rear-view mirror (for italian tax), and some UK owners have placed theirs there, and been given a ticking-off by the police for it.
H

Yes, tax disk must be displayed!!

I had to argue witha copper mine was a few months ago, the sticker had fell off, so it wasn't on the window. I caught him putting the ticket on, on showed him the tax disk, face up on the dashboard!! luckily, he apoligised, but said it was still illegal and it must be shown.

Think it depends on where you are and whats going on.

Got a "routine stop" on friday night, they were on Edge lane Liverpool, about 10 cars, stoping silver cars, (Mine is silver) don't know what for, they searched my car though, got nothing to hide anyway so no probs..

Back to the thread, i know someone who drove their new car with their old cars tax disk.. never got caught, not to say i condone that sort of behaviour..

My first (usable) car had 4 months tax with it, but i was stopped by the police on a routine check and the copper took my tax away, as i didnt realise that it was disabled tax :(. I never got done though :).

anpr does NOT check tax discs. It will check the car plate against the databses and will show you have tax as you do have it just not on display so wont flash up on screen

Only time I've ever been pulled over was when I was pulled over for not having the tax disc on the window. I'd gone past the stationary police car and was quite a distance up the road before he decided to catch upto me and pull me over. Don't know what speed he was doing to catch me.

Tax disc had peeled off the windscreen and was sitting on the dash.

Pulling over silver cars only? Must have got bored of snooker.

carlos1981 said:
Yes, tax disk must be displayed!!

I had to argue witha copper mine was a few months ago, the sticker had fell off, so it wasn't on the window. I caught him putting the ticket on, on showed him the tax disk, face up on the dashboard!! luckily, he apoligised, but said it was still illegal and it must be shown.

Even if he had put a ticket on it wouldn't have gone anywhere as said before it's not a police matter. They can and may report but do NOT deal with the process of TAX offences. Unless the Disc is Fraudulently used or altered which becomes a criminal offence which the police will deal with.

Last edited:
GhostWKD said:
:cry: i need to find my tax disc for the turbo cinq :( has fallen out of window and i've managed to lose it :( turned car upside down to no avail :( can you get replacement tax discs? :confused:

Yes...but you have to report to police if lost or stolen you will get a lost property ref No or Crime No if stolen and apply to DVLA for a replacement stating the appropriate No.

Jules drove the Ulysse around for about 28 days, before I realised 'I' had forgot to renew the tax the previous month :eek:

We never received anything in the post fining us; to be honest, I wouldn't worry about it for those few days.

Stuart DemonD said:
Jules drove the Ulysse around for about 28 days, before I realised 'I' had forgot to renew the tax the previous month :eek:

We never received anything in the post fining us; to be honest, I wouldn't worry about it for those few days.

Didnt you get a road tax renewal from DVLA stu :confused:

Stuart DemonD said:

I forgot to renew my tax once, about 10 years ago. The police pulled me over, but I didn't get any fine - probably because I got a new tax disc within two or three days.

Funny thing was it was night time and they overtook me then pulled me over purely because of my tax. They must have put my registration into the system and got a quick response saying my tax had expired.

In my polo my tax disc fell off screen (previously a smokers car and screen never came clean, all smokers should be banned from smokig in cars, as it turns all the plastics sticky aswell), and into the windscreen vent, I couldn't find it but on full blast I could here it flapping away.

I applied for a new disc (and drove it without the disc on display), and unless the disc was stolen I could not get a new one, they wanted me to buy another one!! the assrapers, so I never bought a new one, just left it in the vent.

May have been illegal, but hey these things happen, I think it sucks that I would have had to pay another £35 (adminsterative charge LOL) for a bit of poor quality paper (my newest one for the punto I tore when I took it out of the perforated stuff, its torn right accross the silver thing, but if the police argue about it I will ram it down their throwt).

Oh and another thing, my volvo's MOT runs out on sunday night, so I will get it MOT'd this saturday, but when tax comes around how do I 'prove' I have insurance for it, as I have only driven it out on the road once, and that was with that day insure lot (£21 bloody quid too, aswell as £50 petrol and £18 train, expensive car!), so i am only using it for occasional paddling (kayaking) and mountainbiking weekends, where it is now on my insurance for the punto, as a 2nd car BUT only third party, NOT T&T, so whilst its sat on in the car park if anything happens to it I'm screwed, AND I have not insured it for the day (with my normal insurance co, churchill, its £9.70 odd fully comp) its not covered for anything.

So when I come to get a new disc at the PO I need a current MOT cert (got, and will have next one) and I need the green or red form for proof of insurance, so how do I wangle that one? As day insurance have just sent me an invoice and thats it!

Last edited:
Back