General Identity Parade....

Currently reading:
General Identity Parade....

Bigvtwin996

Established member
Whilst sorting through my ubiquitous tat to offload ... I mean pass on to some worthy cause....
I came across the following.....
The steering wheel fits an Early column....
It's 15" diameter and a 3" dish...
a sort of faux Wood rim...
I assume 126?? or any other suggestions?

Next a speedo...
Purchased because it is clearly a Prototpi MPH one...
However look at the casing it is in....
This is not some modified 500 casing but two separate pieces...
the Cream part is a more flexible plastic than the normal 500 Hard brittle plastic....
I cannot find what it is actually from but being MPH it would have been obviously a MPH country... I brought this in the UK....
Ohh and the profile of the dash side cutout of the housing is a different to a 500 dash..

Ideas??

Last edited:

Ooh I don't know but I had a remarkably similar wheel, same measurements, that was a vintage Alfa Romeo one.

Some boffins on an Alfa forum were quite keen on it and I shipped mine somewhere in Aus...

Whilst sorting through my ubiquitous tat to offload ... I mean pass on to some worthy cause....

Steering wheel looks like what was fitted to the Fiat 850 Coupe and also the 124 Sport Coupe Tipo BC (2nd series).
Might also have been fitted to the Spider versions of these models also.

Can't help with identification of the speedometer.

AL.

Last edited:
Steering wheel looks like what was fitted to the Fiat 850 Coupe and also the 124 Sport Coupe Tipo BC (2nd series).

AL.

Well done AL, 124 Spider would seem to be one answer.

Attachments

• 79D5EF8D-A0DC-405D-A584-EE552CB54053.jpg
    79D5EF8D-A0DC-405D-A584-EE552CB54053.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 15

AL.

Top marks... for that one... I knew someone would know....
That is the beauty of such a forum..... I searched generically for Fiat Steering wheels.... and there were just too many...
(wonder how much I can offload it for.. opps I mean I wonder if there is someone who really needs this...)

But the Speedo ...
I have checked Bianchina, Moretti, Autobianchi, Ferves, Vignal..
It has to be from 58-65 as the 57 cars only had a 60mph Speedo..
The actual Speedo has the same number stamped in as my other MPH speedos...

Hi, Peter (Bigvtwin996)

You're very welcome, glad that some little tidbit of info. ( that I can still remember!) has been useful to you.

The reason I mentioned the 124 Sport BC (circa 1970) of the 124 Coupe was that this had the steering wheel spokes finished in flat black, the earlier 124AC (circa 1968) had polished spokes, the later 124CC had an imitation leather steering wheel rim. Afaik, some 124 Spiders also had a similar steering wheel with 9? slots instead of 4 holes in each of the 3 steering wheel spokes.

As regards value, I haven't a clue (I usually just give things away, I'm a bit soft this way :shrug: ), but I'd imagine the wheel is worth more if you have the original horn button, surround and spring (I've seen these 3 items for sale on their own, for some reason).

Re:- the speedo identification - I've tried loads of different types of searches.... to no avail :(

Nearest I could find was on ebay.co.uk, a seller (auto-bella classic car parts) had an item that seems similar to the rear black part of your speedo. It is described as :- Classic Fiat 500 N D F R Giardiniera Round Speedo Cluster Rubber Mounting Gasket (@£39). I know this is a bit of a long shot but maybe it was something that was fitted back in the day?

Al.

Last edited:

AL.

I can also add to this list the New Zealand only Fiat 125T. I have a couple of these wheels in average condition.

Attachments

• 44074966_10156431693089457_8910456185845448704_n.jpg
    44074966_10156431693089457_8910456185845448704_n.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 45148050_495753284272873_4382150798486798336_n.jpg
    45148050_495753284272873_4382150798486798336_n.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 12
Hi, Peter (Bigvtwin996)

You're very welcome, glad that some little tidbit of info. ( that I can still remember!) has been useful to you.

.................the rear black part of your speedo. It is described as :- Classic Fiat 500 N D F R Giardiniera Round Speedo Cluster Rubber Mounting Gasket (@£39). I know this is a bit of a long shot but maybe it was something that was fitted back in the day?Al.

I know there are so many people with knowledge on a forum like this...
they can take a joke and the odd bit of pee taking.. but at the end of the day they share knowledge...

I am selling off lots of stuff some Fiat some not... to basically fund a couple of ventures... one is remaking obscure car parts, I have done this previously but now at a much more professional level....

Speedo:

The black part is semi hard plastic, the rubber part you refer to fits inside this (I have a few they are a sponge to act as a buffer and protect the speedo from banging against the dash), the housing is too professional to be a home brewed item...
I was going to wait.. but pulled it apart, the cream part is clearly old the plastic is soft and the surface is powdery (like the solid plastic sun visors that are very old and sun scorched)

Lets see the collective knowledge find what the Speedo is from

Last edited:
ohhh a mate has thrown this up....
He said well could it be part of a cluster!!

this is not Fiat but the sort of thing he was thinking....

And that it could be anther Italian car because the speedo is Veglia Borlettiwhich is like Smiths in the UK...

Last edited:
I was thinking about those little 3 wheeler Italian utility? vehicles, some of which were made by Vespa? Lambretta? Piaggio? etc.

But given the face marking are in MPH, it'd have to have been something that was sold in a country that used miles per hour speed signs. The max. speed in 3rd being 40 mph would seem to suggest a small engined vehicle. Maybe it's a Fiat 500 speedo fitted with a backing piece to fit a curved dashboard on a vehicle produced for export in small numbers, in order to to keep costs down.

AL.

I was thinking about those little 3 wheeler Italian utility? vehicles, some of which were made by Vespa? Lambretta? Piaggio? etc.

But given the face marking are in MPH, it'd have to have been something that was sold in a country that used miles per hour speed signs. The max. speed in 3rd being 40 mph would seem to suggest a small engined vehicle. Maybe it's a Fiat 500 speedo fitted with a backing piece to fit a curved dashboard on a vehicle produced for export in small numbers, in order to to keep costs down.

AL.

It is the MPH that makes it interesting.....
as you say possibly something that fitted this speedo and was taken to a MPH country and swapped for one from a 500...
The thought that the speed was just fitted as one was needed also crossed my mind, but at the bottom of the speedo there is a little lug that prevents it rotating in the housing... this locates in a cut out in the Speedo housing... and this cut out is found on an N/D housing and is present on the black housing of this unit.

Annoying to say the least....

I usually find what I want to know.....

e.g I have being trying to find a particular type of choke cable for another car.... loads of cables..... Ebay full of them... Searching various suppliers.. close but not exact....
Then this morning was looking at cable manufacturers and found a picture of the exact cable I wanted, quickly to the Contact page..
Unbelievable... the manufacturer is actually about 4 miles from where I live....
have a meeting with them..... ohhhh they do loads of good stuff.... unfortunately not for Fiats...
but being in the midlands where we once had a car industry... there are so many small companies that came out of the demise of Austin Rover, BL, and every other company... and they simply don't advertise...

Last edited:
Back