i was on another web site and heard bad stuff about puntos

Currently reading:
i was on another web site and heard bad stuff about puntos

the OP's headgasket concerns are true on the small petrol engines, there is no point denying it. the chance of head gasket failure on the 1.1 and 1.2 petrol engines is very high. my GF has a 1.2punto and the HG blew, her sister had a 1.1cinq and the HG blew, both were expected (we were waiting for it to happen). as long as you know what to expect then it isnt a problem.

the OP's headgasket concerns are true on the small petrol engines, there is no point denying it. the chance of head gasket failure on the 1.1 and 1.2 petrol engines is very high. my GF has a 1.2punto and the HG blew, her sister had a 1.1cinq and the HG blew, both were expected (we were waiting for it to happen). as long as you know what to expect then it isnt a problem.

Does this also apply to the 1.2 Stilo Jug?

Does this also apply to the 1.2 Stilo Jug?
yes, all the 1242 range of all years.

dave said:
the head gaskets only go when people dont follow the bleeding guide when changing the coolent
its spelt 'coolant', and you know thats a crap excuse, it can fail at any time for no apparent reason. on my girlfriend's car it blew over a year after i changed the coolant. there is only ever 1 cause for a problem this common, poor design.

Last edited:

My 1242 is 10 years old and never had the HG go :nerner: But I do look after her :D

What car forum were you on?

Unreliability is a reputation that fiat are finding difficult to shake. Unfortunately other car owners seem to be dillusional about their own cars and look past all the faults they have.

Fiats do go wrong, but it's not usually as serious or costly as the problems other well known manufacturers have.

Find a car thats not been looked after well and then hear the owner complain that it's a shed.

wasnt a car forum

My 1242 is 10 years old and never had the HG go :nerner: But I do look after her :D

i'm not saying it happens to every example, even the k-series wasnt that bad, however you've just tempted fate so keep an eye on your temp gauge.

Last edited:
Hi I have two punto's & they are both very reliable my s reg punto has done 75,000miles with no faults or breakdowns my 2003 punto has done over 51,000 miles I have only had to renew the cooling fan.
I have both cars serviced every year

Back