I know what it says on the boot, but..........

Currently reading:
I know what it says on the boot, but..........

The Beard

Prominent member
As part of my "Is it me?" conversion from angry young man to grumpy old git, I've noticed that some manufacturers seem to be putting one thing on the bootlid but something else under the bonnet.

You're Honour, I'd like to point out to the court, exhibit no. 1:

A few years ago, the 320i was a BMW 3-Series with a 2 litre petrol engine. The current Bavarian range includes 8 models (at least) all of which are 2 litre petrol engines. So far so good.

A cousin of mine used to have a 328i, which was a 2.8 litre 6 cylinder petrol engine. The current range has a minimum of 3 328is - all of which have, er 2 litre petrol engines. The original 335i had a 3.5 litre petrol, whereas the latest range has two 335i models both of which have 3 litre petrols. The number 335 doesn't seem to appear anywhere. Not the engine capacity nor the power output.

The 316, 318 & 320d versions all have a 2 litre diesel. Only the 330d seems to make any sense being a 3 series with a 3.0 litre diesel.

When you get to Mercedes, the same seems to hold true.
A-Class: All A180s and A200 petrols are actually 1.6s and the A250s are actually 2 litre versions.

Don't know why they insist on cocking around like this. Maybe it says a lot about the people who often drive these things, they're not exactly what they say on the tin either.

Should try working in car insurance....someone comes in just bought a 320, which if memory serves can be a 1.6, a 1.8, a 2.0 or a 2.2...is also available in about 20 different trim levels...you ask them what it is...the answer...blue...ffs gonna be a long day

But you can't always blame the public, if they buy a car that is advertised as XYZ and it turns out there are 20 options to pick from within that range & they haven't been told...

On the other hand, SWMBO used to have a 1.6 Sierra.
We later discovered that Ford had chucked in a 2.0 litre lump & said nothing.
Insurance would have had a field day if they'd have investigated a serious prang.

BMW and Mercedes are very big on this sort of stuff...believe a 540 is now a 3.0 biturbo...

Another nightmare one is Mercedes e250...again 5 different engine sizes with multiple power outputs per unit and multiple trim levels and body styles.

Tbf I guess they've done it so existing customers don't feel like they are travelling down the model hierarchy despite buying their old cars' equivalent.

It's nothing new.
I had an X reg (1981) BMW 316 which was powered by a 1.8 litre engine. BMW had uprated the 316 from 1.6 to 1.8, without changing the name because there was already a 318i, with a fuel injected 1.8 engine. They then introduced the 315, with a 1.6 engine.

Back