I have a computer question

Currently reading:
I have a computer question

Right, I'm thinking of formatting my harddrive.
I have 2 "C" and "D" c is labelled HDD and has 29.9gb
d is labelled DATA and has 113gb

i want to format the d drive but am i right in thinking that the operating system is in the "C" drive so this wouldn't be affected?

Do i just right click on the drive and click on format?

and if i did format it would all the users folders be there? like administrator, documents and settings etc.

btw i have windows xp sp2

Cheers

Dan

lol, well the problem is i analyzed my C drive and then defragged it with no problem.

then went to analyze the D drive and it just got to 20% and did nothing else. and when i try to install norton systemworks it just crashes and when a online virus scanner tries to scan the drive it just sends the computer asleep.

I also have tons of crap on this drive as well.

dan-the-man said:
lol, well the problem is i analyzed my C drive and then defragged it with no problem.

then went to analyze the D drive and it just got to 20% and did nothing else. and when i try to install norton systemworks it just crashes and when a online virus scanner tries to scan the drive it just sends the computer asleep.

I also have tons of crap on this drive as well.

I wish people would look after there PC's :rolleyes:, Although If they did I would be out of a job...

Formatting is the quick and easy way out, I prefer to find the root of the problem though.

FYI the users folders etc are on the partition with the OS.

Liam

Liam said:
Formatting is the quick and easy way out, I prefer to find the root of the problem though.

FYI the users folders etc are on the partition with the OS.

Liam
Indeed and if your D: only contains data then it shouldn't really crash your system unless the OS has trouble reading the Disk or the disk has programs running on it.

You should try running a full scandisk on the drive before you format anything and Windows likes at least 15% of the drive empty for a Defrag.

The user folders as Liam said are on the partition with the OS unless you (or someone else) have configured otherwise.

I have my PC setup so that 'My Documents' points to another physical drive, although the main user settings are still on C drive.

Before you do anything, I would backup any importants files/pics to DVD or something, just in case.

Back