I bought a Fiat Bravo HGT at 16, help me

Currently reading:
I bought a Fiat Bravo HGT at 16, help me

Bracun

My family bought a Fiat Punto mk2 as their daily driver. I loved its design and especially the color. Gold with some sort of screening, yes, it's a regular punto with 1.2l 8v but it's a small tough car. It was supposed to be my car when I turn 18 (now I’m 17) but as the only car in the family it would be a problem and the car would have a lot of drivers. I decided to look for some ads for cheap fiats and came across an ad from my father’s friend. It's a Fiat Bravo 2.0 20v.

The car is on beautiful rims and it is driven and it is quite battered and it takes a lot of work to be what I want, I correct every little thing on anything. I got an offer for him really insane, which I could not accept and it was material so I did not lose any money. In short, I bought the car and it is mine.

The problems on the car are: The clutch kit needs to be replaced, it leaked oil on the seal near the coil. The head gasket was replaced because the 5 piston did not work and leaked coolant and oil. It has now been fixed but I have not been able to properly look at the car has a sporty intake on it and the interior is preserved to some extent.

Now I need your help forums. As a 16 year old having my own dream car which is rare at least on my side of the state. I want to get him to be a top guy, both mechanically and in appearance. Tell me what are the common problems with this type of engine and car and what to watch and inspect. I would really like this to be a perfect project and one of the better ones on the Croatian side of the world.

The first thing I want is to order a Steering hub for it and put my sports steering wheel on it. Where I can order it under € 40 maximum, I’ve seen a lot of them that are € 80+, or at least if there is any Steering hub to suit that type of spline size and design. I would also like to hear your ideas about the car and what to do. Thanks Forum

Check your insurance costs. They might be OK as its not just you using it, but young drivers get stung and often have to get a speed nanny box fitted just to get cover.

The steering wheel is likely to be a downgrade compared to original AND you'll lose the airbag. Absolutely NOT a good idea.

Fiat air intakes generally pulli cold air direct from the front grille. Modifications make a horrible noise and the car goes slower. A complete waste of money.

Any mods will invalidate your insurance especially as the inspectors will expect a young man to make such changes. Don't go there. Simply? Just don't.

As for the car. It's already had a blown head gasket. Why? Was coolant lost? If so, was the fault repaired? Was there any other damage caused by the overheating? Is the catalyst OK? Coolant can ruin the catalyst core = MoT fail. You ned the genuine full history.
Then there's the clutch it's likely to wear much faster than a lesser powered car. Ditto suspension and brakes.

I still don't have my driver's license so the car has to wait for registration and inspection until 2024 when I turn 18.

I don't want to say that I don't care about the Airbag, but I also don't like the original steering wheel, it's too boring and not grippy for my hands, I have already bought a momo sport flat steering wheel, I just don't have a hub.

the cold Air Intake was put on a couple of months ago, I haven't driven it properly yet so I have to try out how it goes with the Cold Air Intake but I still have 2 years to get the parts from the car scrap. In order to pass the inspection, it must have an original air filter box, so I must have it at least for a technical inspection

I don't know how and why the cylinder head gasket cracked but I know that the 5 piston didn't work for that reason, whether it overheated or the coolant leaked but I know it has now been replaced and is working properly. Strange engine works as with increased RPM around 1000.

Cylinder head gaskets WILL NOT tolerate overheating. It's highly likely you have a coolant leak somewhere so will need to thoroughly examine everything especially radiators and any steel coolant pipes. The FIRE engine has a notorious trouble maker in this respect. I've no idea if the 2.4 has anything similar.

Back