General Huge starting problem.

Currently reading:
General Huge starting problem.

alexsmith20

You may have seen i posted about my GP being a arse to start in the morning and things can only get worse cant they, instead of the car just getting on with things it has now decided that when i start it, the car just either grinds a little and not work, or it just cuts out after the revs increase just slightly, i have noticed recently that when it finally does turn on then the tempertaure sensor increases all the way to the top so it goes red, and then straight back down to nothing, im assuming either the engines being chocked or im honestly not sure :( any help would be lovely and really need some help.:rolleyes:

looking like a new battery then lol and i dont no whether to go for the new battery straight away or put my car into the dealer for them to have a look and end up paying £48 for them just to turn the key and say its my battery -.-

battery testers are great it will test the density of the electrolyte very good brand new battery would probably test 13v yes i know there a 12v battery but they do when very well charged hold roughly 13v you batter if it is reading bellow 11v wants to be changed you realy should have your alternator tested to ust to check that this is proving charge to the battery

It's been covered many times before, but to save you searching- it needs an Engine ECU update to completely correct the issue, although a fresh battery will improve things.

The starter motor on the GP is activated via the Engine ECU. With the original ECU software, if the battery voltage is not at 100%, the voltage will drop enough during cranking for the starter to disengage momentarily before re-engaging again, causing the teeth to grind against the flywheel ringgear. Over time this will damage both the starter motor and the flywheel until it gets to the point where both will need replacing (gearbox-off job).

The temp gauge flicking to max (with "excess. rad. fluid temp" on higher spec models) is another symptom, cured with the software update.

Last edited:
:O you telling me this is the answer iv also been looking for for ages??

Yep, like I said, it's been all over this section pretty much since the GP launched, with the software update coming about a year later once Fiat identified how to fix it.

The 1.2 has a very marginal battery fitted from the factory, and once it starts to get run down, the problems crop up. We always used to replace them with higher-spec'd versions like for the 1.3mJet once they started playing up, but the software update is the definitive fix, new battery or otherwise.

The update was free for cars under warranty, so you may have a battle with Fiat to get it FOC now. Some models couldn't be updated and had to have a new ECU (FOC at the time).

sorry to hijack this thread OP.

well i got my battery tested and when i bought the car they put in a brand new ECU under warranty :(

my thread: https://www.fiatforum.com/grande-punt...d-start-7.html

What's the spec of the battery? If it's a 200A, I'd consider uprating it to lessen the chance of the usual starter issues. What was the Engine ECU replaced for- this problem?

Had a quick read of that thread, sounds like there's two issues there. The common faulty MAP/air temp sensor issue will cause it to struggle to start when very cold, but won't cause the starter to engage/disengage/re-engage and grind like the low batt voltage/ECU software issue. Have you made sure you're replacing the right sensor? Some models had seperate MAP and air temp sensors.

Ideally you'd want to see the proper data from the sensor rather than guessing or relying on an error code.

wondering if you guys think this would be a good idea, with some ice being on the way into my car soon i was planning on upgrading the battery anyway but the grande punto battery seems to be tiny, wondering how easy it is to stick a bigger battery in which will cope?

Before expendig money in batteries or any other parts, check your ground cables...

In particular de one that goes from de battery, by the car body an then to de engine (gearbox).

In my case, here in Portugal, i've had the same symptoms and i had that cable corroded and snaped!

dsc02276hd.jpg

dsc02278rt.jpg

Back