Off Topic hows your stilo performing in the snow/ice?

Currently reading:
Off Topic hows your stilo performing in the snow/ice?

Totally agree, for me in my JTD stilo it is no where in comparison against my old Elx punto Mk2, that was a serious snow machine, honest and its big advantage was that it had smaller, thinner wheels with all weather budget tyres. This old machine got me out of many dangerous moments last year, seemed made for snow lol. The tyres on the yellow diesel beast are just simply rubbish on the snow, truth :yuck:

I drove on summer tyres once, during a huuge snow storm through the Alps in Austria.... and never want to do that again.. it's just suicide.. i drove 5 km/h and traveled 200 km about 10 hours ...
I did that myself last winter and completely agree it's crazy :eek:

The problem with the UK, being a maritime climate, is that winter temperatures can be close to summer temperatures on many days which simply doesn't suit having 2 sets of tyres.

I did that myself last winter and completely agree it's crazy :eek:

The problem with the UK, being a maritime climate, is that winter temperatures can be close to summer temperatures on many days which simply doesn't suit having 2 sets of tyres.

I see, never been to the UK, just heard stories, always rains, nice beer, nice pubs bla bla :)Here it is some kind of a sub tropic climate, I think. Cause in the summer it can hit 45 degrees (Celsius) on a hot day and in winter the temperature drops down to -30 and in the mountains it’s … like on the north pole. Last winter my original accumulator died one night in the mountains when the temperature was bellow -20 and I bought a 72 Ah one now. The original was 45Ah, like the one in my lantern :)

hmmm its ok, but only ok in the bad weather....on snow its good-ish, but as soon as you hit ice its a bit.....brown? lol

much prefer my mk1 punto (now RIP :( due to a slapdash brother), it was much more surefooted, even managed to tow a mk2 up an icy slope in last years cold snap...

ahh well, ive just ordered some auto-socks....couldnt justify spending money on winter tyres, but the socks look excellent...

A couple of days ago I put 15" wheels on what belong to my Marea and there is a tremendous difference driving in snow and slush its much better only has normal tyres on aswell.

A couple of days ago I put 15" wheels on what belong to my Marea and there is a tremendous difference driving in snow and slush its much better only has normal tyres on aswell.

15" will cope much better on winter roads, as the torque transfer isn't as direct as on 17". There is some slack (also works as comfort) in the tyre wall. And wider than 195 is a bad idea.

En route back from the Fiat Scotland meet in Perth last weekend...M90...gridlocked...9 hours to get back to Glasgow.

Still though, apart from one minor incident the Stilo coped remarkably well. Has also managed to make it's way up a few hills other cars were struggling with and as for other things, I wish the handbrake wouldn't beep when you use it in motion ;) :D

So what is a good summer/winter tyre to use. I believe alot of people here like falkens ive never seen any of the garages in NI fitting them. What about hankooks a few garages fit them here not that many though. Whats the best hankook tyre?

.... aside from perhaps Scotland I don't think any UK motorists keep 2 sets of tyres (and wheels).

For when it gets really rough probably a good idea to keep a pair of snow-socks in the boot (y)
Are you MAD, Argo ?? ;) ... The rich Scots-city wimps might lash out on such extragavances, but us Rural Scottish-living Heathens are FAR too tight to spend so much on luxuries like spare tyre sets.

... We simply hogtie a sheep around each tyre tread. :p

En route back from the Fiat Scotland meet in Perth last weekend...M90...gridlocked...9 hours to get back to Glasgow.

Still though, apart from one minor incident the Stilo coped remarkably well. Has also managed to make it's way up a few hills other cars were struggling with and as for other things, I wish the handbrake wouldn't beep when you use it in motion ;) :D
Know what you mean, Squire [nudge, nudge, ;), ;)]

My lad in the Stilo & me in the Doblo were returning home from Stranraer to Banff last weekend as well (after getting off the ferry @ 10:30pm) and went through northbound on the same stretch of road ... The southbound M8/M90 rush hour was STILL ongoing at circa 1:30am, and plonkers were sliding around all over the place.

Back