Technical How reliable has your MK2/B Been!

Currently reading:
Technical How reliable has your MK2/B Been!

JPeake94

Mine is a 54 Reg MK2B

Mother owned it from new and gave it to me after having major issues with a MK2. In her time of owning it the only faults have been:

The clutch cable going
Hole in the back box

In my time of owning it

The brake pads wore down to the point they made a horrible crunching noise (that's more my bad for not getting them sorted though)

The centre box of the exhaust recently decided to detach it's self from the exhaust causing the car to have an echoing roar! (got to say it did sound brilliant if you excluded the blowing and exhaust rattle
slayer.gif
)

I've noticed the headlights are beginning to mist from the inside (I had this problem with my MK2, replacing the lights did naff all) but that's nothing major.

all in all! for a 10 year old car it has been extremely reliable, in my year of owning it I've never broke down!

How about you guys?

Such a pleasure to read your enthusiastic post, I've had my 55 plate for around two weeks now. My first foray into owning a Punto. Nearly got hoodwinked into buying a sport by a local dealership who conveniently forgot to tell me it was a cat d right off until I hpi'd it whoops! Still trying to get my £100 deposit back suppose I can whistle for that :-( picked up a black 1.2 active from a private seller the next day, 55 plate 69,000 on the clock full history £1300 great.
After reading a lot of negative posts on here initially I took a deep breath and wandered what I had got myself into with talk of belching head gaskets grinding gear boxes slipping clutches to mention a few! But put it into perspective, for the handful of horror stories I read I see at least six punto's every journey I take, there must be something people love about the thousands of punto's roving round the uk, in truth I have fallen in love with mine, it takes me many years back to when I passed my test and owned a hand full of mini's. Punto's are like rolls Royce's compared to those, rotten sub frames rotten body work and absolutely zero room inside for a six footer like me but there was a unmistakable charm about them which I am reliving with my latest acquisition, got a few jobs planned for mine starting with new shocks and springs at the back amongst other stuff lol had my back lights off today drying them out with the wife's hair dryer. Got a strange look from her but she's used to me now!
Hope you have many more happy miles with yours....

Sent from my iPad Air using FIAT Forum

I Believe mine may be getting the gear box problem! if I'm driving in the low revs it's fine, but if I decide to put my foot down you can hear a grinding sound, but I'm not majorly worried as it's only if I put my foot down which isn't often. They are good cars! it's just their predecessors give them such a bad name! Mine only has 35200 on the clock (29000 when I had it) But still it's a 10 year old car and not had much wrong with it. My girlfriend doesn't like my Punto! but then again she thinks every car looks the same and that silver is a boring colour, heck she isn't complaining when she's getting free lifts everywhere!

Faults that arent the cars fault
Front vrakes poor and rear brakes seized due to standing

The common faults that ice had
Tappy tappy gearbox
Mk2b clutch judder
Failed coil pack
Wiper dropped off
Manifold crack
Airbag exclusion switch
Cheap lazy stat
Heater reaistor pack fault
Knocking coloumn but not sorted it

Ziggy

I've had my 05 reg since August 2012. Bought it with about 28k on the clock. Within the first 3 months of owning it I had an intermittent problem with the power steering, as it was so intermittent I just ignored it as it would always be fine again when i turned the engine on and off. Ended up needing that sorted last year when the power steering wouldn't work at all.

Then earlier this year I needed a new wiper motor/linkage.

Apart from those 2 everything has been okay and I'm 400 miles off 50k now.

:D

I've never had anything actually go majorly wrong with my Punto, in nearly two years of ownership, during which I've covered 17,000 miles (now at 96k) -- oh, apart from the usual Speedgear brake and reverse light SNAFU.... :)

Admittedly -- as you'll see from my Members Motors thread -- I have replaced many, many parts (e.g. the suspension -- because it was starting to sag and creak; and the HG, because it was starting to weep... -- and have probably been more thorough about both of those than the majority of owners...) -- but, along with regular servicing, most of the maintenance has been preventative, and about trying to ensure the car's longevity. :cool:

If these turn out to be famous last words, I shall, of course, cry.... :cry:

Last edited:
mine is a 54 diesel I bought at 3 and a half years old with 40k on the clock its now done 102k i've had it 6 years and in that time mechanical wise its had a new set of glow plugs and a new engine earth lead, and a new set of rear shocks as the bushes had gone.

Its now about due a clutch and i'm hearing a slight knock from the front off side when going over bumps which i suspect is a roll bar bush so am planning a homeward style suspension overhaul to avoid any future issues
I may also swap the drive shafts out soon as i had a noisy CV joint a year ago I cured with a bit of grease but its bound to be a bit worn now.

Dantellini - MK2 1,2 8 valve from '03 - has been very reliable and both cheap and fun to run.

Last Friday's MOT showed 144 xxx km. To reach this mileage following items have been replaced/fixed:
- valve cover seal
- front brake pads and discs
- rear brake pads
- window washer motor
- rear muffler
- window wiper motor
- front shocks/suspension bushes
- 3 x cam belt, 2 x water pump
- rear windshield has been re-glued twice (1st by dealer and then for good by my brother and me)
- repainting of body just behind front wheels (should do that again soon)
- 2 x battery

Obviously oil/filter, wiper blades, tyres, spark plugs and some bulbs have been consumed as well.

-Tazio

My punto which was my sisters and before that was and old ladies, she brought it when it was 6 years old for £2350! with 5k on the clock, it now has 55k on the clock

things that have been replaced due to being brokem

Window wiper motor

power steering motor

and thats it folks, 14 years old and no major problems!

Mines is 04 reg, had to replace the gearbox cable
Pads and discs

Also have a sticky passenger door

Had my 55 plate (55k on clock) for around 5 months now all I'v done is:

Service
New radio ariel
Couple of bulbs
New gear stick knob

Nothing major and I hope it stays that way.

Very happy with it. :)

Back