General How much?

Currently reading:
General How much?

My Cam Cover Gasket has pretty much failed
my cars dribbling more then a severe case of baby dribble....
(loosing alot of oil and water)

Its not headgasket - just the Cam cover gasket

Does any1 know the code? and how much they roughly are?
Need to know so i can see about getting it sorted

Ziggy

My Cam Cover Gasket has pretty much failed
my cars dribbling more then a severe case of baby dribble....
(loosing alot of oil and water)

You wouldn't loose any water because of the rocker cover gasket failing...

Plus it always looks a lot more than it actually is when you have a bit of oil leaking out of the cover because the oil gets so hot and thins out it looks like theres a lot more of it.

You wouldn't loose any water because of the rocker cover gasket failing...

Plus it always looks a lot more than it actually is when you have a bit of oil leaking out of the cover because the oil gets so hot and thins out it looks like theres a lot more of it.

Water just seemed to of disappeared as much as the oil did

Anyway got a New Gasket
£6 from the local Motorist Discount shop - rang up - ordered - took 1 hour and it was there :)

Ziggy

I'd still keep an eye on it just as warning. If you're losing water theres abviously another problem lurking as the rocker cover gasket would not cause this. In addition like I said you say you're losing a lot of oil and a bad rocker cover gasket probably wouldnt loose you that much. We had that problem with my friends...he thought it was the cover but it needed a cam seal. since then it still loses oil from the rocker cover a bit but there oil level itself is always the same, so I'm not convinced thats the main problem. Tbh theyre rubbish anyway mine had a brand new rocker cover & gasket and his had a brand new gasket with sealer aswell and after a few months theyre both seeping oil again! Not worth worrying about, but i would look into what else could be leaking on your car.

I'd still keep an eye on it just as warning. If you're losing water theres abviously another problem lurking as the rocker cover gasket would not cause this. In addition like I said you say you're losing a lot of oil and a bad rocker cover gasket probably wouldnt loose you that much. We had that problem with my friends...he thought it was the cover but it needed a cam seal. since then it still loses oil from the rocker cover a bit but there oil level itself is always the same, so I'm not convinced thats the main problem. Tbh theyre rubbish anyway mine had a brand new rocker cover & gasket and his had a brand new gasket with sealer aswell and after a few months theyre both seeping oil again! Not worth worrying about, but i would look into what else could be leaking on your car.

hmm hmmm
It is common to hear sumet like water running around when u first start the engine?

I know it pumps as the engine starts - and when it aint on it slowly decompresses and thats why its noticable upon startup?

Ziggy

yeh my car did this when i bought it. the previous owner let it run low of coolant (just naturally no problems with leaks hg etc..) filled it up but there was air in the system and you could hear it sloshing about when you reved it. it sorted itself out after a few good drives with highish revs.

No offence but driving it around at high revs isnt the way to get rid of an airlock...

Best way to do that is to remove the rad cap and let the engine get warm and drive it round the block a few times (obviously carefully) to let the air ciruclate round the system as the water heats up so it can go out via the rad cap being off.
If you just drive around with an airlock without taking these measure first you just risk blowing the headgasket or blowing a pipe off because of how the air expands when hot.

Back