General How much would a decent MK2B cost me?

Currently reading:
General How much would a decent MK2B cost me?

A used car could cost you £3,500 a year to run.

Find out the best way to buy and afford a used car.
Find out more
MAS_logo_en.png

Thanks for all the links guys I have seen them cars and I have decided I'm gonna put away money each month and buy something in the summer

Lovely looking car. Here is the nanny bit. Watch the 16V motors. They need good timing belt history. If in any doubt you'd want to budget for replacement. Quite a few members here got caught out badly shortly after purchase.
The 8v are safe engines so if a belt does go it's inconvenient but not the end of the engine. Insurance my be a tad higher as well.
Keep looking and sitting and test driving. You'll know the right one when you sit in it and bring that friend of yours to a few as well. You might miss a bargain by not jumping at the first one offered but in the long run you're better off holding your powder dry.

Lovely looking car. Here is the nanny bit. Watch the 16V motors. They need good timing belt history. If in any doubt you'd want to budget for replacement. Quite a few members here got caught out badly shortly after purchase.
The 8v are safe engines so if a belt does go it's inconvenient but not the end of the engine. Insurance my be a tad higher as well.
Keep looking and sitting and test driving. You'll know the right one when you sit in it and bring that friend of yours to a few as well. You might miss a bargain by not jumping at the first one offered but in the long run you're better off holding your powder dry.

Sound advice man thank you so you think I should go for an 8V instead? I havent a clue what the difference is between the 2

The 16V are more powerful, generally had bigger front brakes and so on. They cost more at timing belt time but not hugely more expensive to maintain or any less reliable than the 8 valve motors. What the 8 V has going for it is simplicity. Many first owners have taken on timing belts themselves and got it right - you almost can't screw it up. The 8V would tend to have smaller wheels with more of them on steel rims and generally fewer toys ( things that go wrong) than the flashier big brother 16V.

Ah I see Ill probabilly go for a 8V then. Im keeping an eye out.. My mums old Mk2 I didnt like the clutch on it. It felt high to me, I remember when she first drove it it was juddering alot and once it got stuck on the hill! which is offputting! Which is why I am going for mk2b

Ah I see Ill probabilly go for a 8V then. Im keeping an eye out.. My mums old Mk2 I didnt like the clutch on it. It felt high to me, I remember when she first drove it it was juddering alot and once it got stuck on the hill! which is offputting! Which is why I am going for mk2b

To be honest if thats the only reason your going for a mk2b i wouldnt worry. The only main difference between the two is the facelift.

Thats all
Russ

To be honest if thats the only reason your going for a mk2b i wouldnt worry. The only main difference between the two is the facelift.

Thats all
Russ

Oh really? now I feel daft! LOL I thought there is a few technical differences between the 2?

Their are technical differences especially in the electronics between mk2 and mk2b

Agree'd
The mk2'b is alot of canbus'd

Dash's are only for mk2b for mk2b

Cant fit mk2 into mk2b or in reverse
Most mk2b are different euro emissions vs some mk2's so more sensors etc

Front lights are wired differently (fogs not included in lights vs mk2 which are)

Ziggy

Back