General How many Panda hybrid drivers are on the forum. ??

Currently reading:
General How many Panda hybrid drivers are on the forum. ??

What is the experience with the Panda Cross Hybrid so far. ??

Attachments

• fiat-panda-hybrid-statisch-3-4-voorkant-scaled.jpg
    fiat-panda-hybrid-statisch-3-4-voorkant-scaled.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 206
Hi All

I've got a hybrid on order being made in Italy at the moment.

I'm assuming the engine will be tight for at least the first 5k like the MJ diesel and the twin air was when new, but coming from a 60hp 1.2 and 69hp late 1.2 both pandas we shall see.

what the general feeling of the electric boost system,

Tim

what the general feeling of the electric boost system

I wasn’t terribly impressed with the one I had on long-term loan at the end of last year, having driven real (ie Toyota/Lexus) hybrids for the last ten years. I found it a very disappointing effort from Fiat. It offers nothing extra in either economy or performance. Sorry and all that.

Hi Seamaster.

thanks for that, I think I'm being realistic about my expectations,
In comparison to the 1.2 fire engine it is replacing it has one less piston and conrod, the starter motor and alternator have been exchanged for the large belt drive motor/charger and all at a price significantly less (£13k) than a good friend of mine bought a new Toyota Prius(£16k) all the way back in 2006 so 15 years ago.

with the Mild hybrid still having a 6 speed manual gearbox I guess the driver will need to be active in how its driven to maximise the hybrid systems use.

I shall find out and report back as a comparison to our two previous 1.2 fire engines from 2005 and 2013.

Tim

Hi Seamaster. thanks for that, I think I'm being realistic about my expectations...

To try to find a positive aspect to my time with Fiat’s “hybrid”, I found it to be a smooth and refined drivetrain with a nice engine note. If the performance and economy are in line with your expectations and it suits your driving style, there are many worse cars.

As discussed at some length in another thread, the consensus is that this setup is all about FCA gaming EU emissions regs, nothing more. The way it’s being marketed as something other than that is at best disingenuous.

I wasn’t terribly impressed with the one I had on long-term loan at the end of last year, having driven real (ie Toyota/Lexus) hybrids for the last ten years. I found it a very disappointing effort from Fiat. It offers nothing extra in either economy or performance. Sorry and all that.
Not just Fiat... several marques are introducing so-called 'mild hybrids' as they allow them to claim they are meeting more stringent emissions targets when averaged out over the whole catalogue of models. But really they are little more than a stop-start engine where the starter motor runs for a little longer to get the car rolling again. That's not a hybrid in most peoples' minds - but maybe could be considered to be like a KERS system (kinetic energy recovery system).

I suspect they've bubbled up as makers spotted a 'gap' in the regulations that the regulators hadn't foreseen. Also, to those who know no better , the marketing makes people 'feel good' that they are buying 'a hybrid'. I'd expect the loophole to be closed fairly soon (already the UK government subsidy for 'plug in hybrids' has been dropped [for those that cannot do 70 miles or more from the charge] or much reduced, since they too don't really make much difference in 'real world driving'.

Last edited:
I think it's a bit unfair to knock it.
Yes, it's not a full Hybrid, but these cheap mild systems are keeping cheap cars on sale for us to buy.

I'm sure they'd be more people up in arms if manufacturers said, "right that's it, no more £12k or £13k cars, now you forked out £30k plus on a EV version or £20k plus on a full Hybrid for a small hatchback".
(if that sounds reasonable, what you doing here?)

Ok, it's not really anymore powerful than the 1.2 it replaces, though is more power progress?
It's probably only shaving a few grams of CO2 off and drawing out a couple of mpg over that engine, but add that savings over the fleet these engines are fitted to, at the small price it costs Fiat, it's obviously worth it to keep these cars on sale at a price people will pay.

Otherwise you'd expect to be saying addio per sempre to them real soon.

I think it's a bit unfair to knock it.
Yes, it's not a full Hybrid, but these cheap mild systems are keeping cheap cars on sale for us to buy.

I'm sure they'd be more people up in arms if manufacturers said, "right that's it, no more £12k or £13k cars, now you forked out £30k plus on a EV version or £20k plus on a full Hybrid for a small hatchback".
(if that sounds reasonable, what you doing here?)

Ok, it's not really anymore powerful than the 1.2 it replaces, though is more power progress?
It's probably only shaving a few grams of CO2 off and drawing out a couple of mpg over that engine, but add that savings over the fleet these engines are fitted to, at the small price it costs Fiat, it's obviously worth it to keep these cars on sale at a price people will pay.

Otherwise you'd expect to be saying addio per sempre to them real soon.

Fair point - and in theory the Hybrid's a stopgap til the new Leccy Panda arrives next year (ahem).

The big question is, will the all-electric Panda be able to undercut VW's £20k model? Hard to imagine they'll want to sell them much cheaper.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...s&include-delivery-option=on&make=SEAT&page=1

Everyone will.

Brands like Dacia aiming for the cheapest EV out there....it only bodes well for the average Joe!

Tesla who? [emoji23]

But will they be using the equivalent 'pattern' batteries that never quite achieve the same power/life as the proper ones. I'm talking about those crappy ones I got for £10 for my Panny camera that have less charge than a limbless bull.

So. What is going to happen to the driving test for a manual license when there are no MHEV manual gearbox Cars for the instructors to use, or will a standard license become electric/auto hybrid and an upgrade to a manual license.

Back