General How do I work out the age of this cinquecento?

Currently reading:
General How do I work out the age of this cinquecento?

RoddyS

Hi 500 Classic Forum,
Sorry, I'm new to this so please bare with me!

I'm based in Italy and I've found a classic 500 that I am thinking of buying and was looking to verify the age of the vehicle. How do I do that? Is there a register that I can check in? I have been told that it's 1964.

The registration number of the vehicle is "SI.7 5211"

There is a number stamped on the bodywork under the front bonnet at the back left hand side - it looks like "110F*1471218" but it's a bit tricky to see.

Some photos attached (if I can get it to work!)
Any assistance would be much appreciated :)

Many thanks
Roddy

Attachments

• 20200205_121656.jpg
    20200205_121656.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 42
  • 20200205_121759.jpg
    20200205_121759.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 26
  • 20200205_121916.jpg
    20200205_121916.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 44
Hi 500 Classic Forum,
Sorry, I'm new to this so please bare with me!

I'm based in Italy and I've found a classic 500 that I am thinking of buying and was looking to verify the age of the vehicle. How do I do that? Is there a register that I can check in? I have been told that it's 1964.

The registration number of the vehicle is "SI.7 5211"

There is a number stamped on the bodywork under the front bonnet at the back left hand side - it looks like "110F*1471218" but it's a bit tricky to see.

Some photos attached (if I can get it to work!)
Any assistance would be much appreciated :)

Many thanks
Roddy

It's a 500 F as shown by the F in the chassis number..
an F was made between March 1965 and November 1972

There are various places that will date a Fiat probably for a fee) but as Fiat didn't keep a full set of records any date will only be an estimate....
I have the start and end chassis numbers for each year of production....
Normally people estimate the spread of those numbers over the period.. using holidays and other times where production is lower to try to get a representation... so very few dates are that accurate....

I will try to have a look for what year range your chassis number falls into..

update
year 1967 Model Nuova F
start chassis number - 1333078
end chassis number - 1674690
Numbers produced - 232855

so the chassis number 1471218 falls just under half way so end of May/start June possibly...

Last edited:
It's a 500 F as shown by the F in the chassis number..
an F was made between March 1965 and November 1972

There are various places that will date a Fiat probably for a fee) but as Fiat didn't keep a full set of records any date will only be an estimate....
I have the start and end chassis numbers for each year of production....
Normally people estimate the spread of those numbers over the period.. using holidays and other times where production is lower to try to get a representation... so very few dates are that accurate....

I will try to have a look for what year range your chassis number falls into..

update
year 1967 Model Nuova F
start chassis number - 1333078
end chassis number - 1674690
Numbers produced - 232855

so the chassis number 1471218 falls just under half way so end of May/start June possibly...
Hi there,
Many thanks for the reply - that's really helpful and certainly goes some way to authenticating it. Thanks again.
I'll be buying it and restoring it over the course of the next year or so. I guess I'm going to need some local parts and panels suppliers information, that's for sure!
I'll add some posts to here as things progress...
Cheers

There’s a very useful little book that gives reasonably detailed info on all 500 models. Not too technical but has lots of photos. It’s written in Italian with English translation side by side on each page.
Title: FIAT 500 La Guida/the Guide
Author: Alessandro Sannia ([email protected])
Published by: edizione a cura di All Media Sri, Corsa Siracusa152, 10137 Torino
Tel 0113119090 www.all-media.it
Cost €20

Well worth it if you can find one!
Derek

There’s a very useful little book that gives reasonably detailed info on all 500 models. Not too technical but has lots of photos. It’s written in Italian with English translation side by side on each page.
Title: FIAT 500 La Guida/the Guide
Author: Alessandro Sannia ([email protected])
Published by: edizione a cura di All Media Sri, Corsa Siracusa152, 10137 Torino
Tel 0113119090 www.all-media.it
Cost €20

Well worth it if you can find one!
Derek
there is a 1st and second edition...

the second edition is the one with a yellow 500 on the cover and was an update... a good starting point for most things there is an addendum sheet somewhere...

I hear rumours that there is a 3rd edition in the pipeline

Roddy; When you come to get the body-work refurbished, unless you are doing all the body work yourself, be very careful as to whom you use to do the work. Your local 'Fiat 500' club should be able to guide you in the right direction. Arrange with whoever does do the work that you can visit on a regular basis and see what work has been carried out. Restorations for Italians IN ITALY might be carried out to a different (better) standard than they seem to be on cars that are then being sold over here in the UK. Some very poor workmanship, as well as copious amounts of filler, are not unknown on cars that have been bought (often sight unseen) in the UK having been "fully restored" in Italy. Just be careful!

Back