General How do i overide start stop on automatic 1.2

Currently reading:
General How do i overide start stop on automatic 1.2

Bettyboo

Ive just got my new 500 today the start stop is ok at lights but when I was at a give way it rolled back, that's happened a couple of times today, how do I disable the start stop, don't want to damage my new car, ive not got manual yet, dealer said he would post it on, cheers

dash500.jpg

Click on pic above. Personally, I leave it off permanently - in my car (which doesn't get a lot of use), it runs the battery down to the point where the car's ECU turns it off anyway. Start-Stop's a pretty contentious subject on the forum, so please excuse me while I get my tin hat!

BJM

Last edited:
thank you, hopefully this will stop the dangerous roll back

I've never driven an automatic, but I'm guessing you're used to them and always relied on the auto box to stop the car rolling back? Someone else who knows Start-Stop better than me will be along soon, but I'd say you MUST use the handbrake or else leave Start-Stop off altogether.

BJM

I hear it's a great away of stopping the car rolling back, no idea why it would be bad practice....

I hear it's a great away of stopping the car rolling back, no idea why it would be bad practice....

I use that big stick thingy with the button on the end that you pull up on a ratchet that comes out of the floor at an angle between the two front seats to stop my 500 from retreating down inclines. Seems to work quite well (y)

Look Daniel, I know it's a quiet night and there's not many people around, but why pick on the only person on the forum with more goat to get than you???:)

If you're on a hill with your foot on the brake, the car will roll back the moment you take your foot off again. I was taught by a police instructor more years ago than I care to remember - if stopped at a junction you apply the handbrake and put the box in neutral. As I said before, I've never driven an auto.

BJM

Last edited:
My first two cars were autos :)

I hear the right pedal is great for stopping the car rolling back when you stop using the left pedal.

Handbrake or foot brake it makes no difference :)

Obviously you put it in gear, start to accelerate and then release the brake, more or less the same as you do in a manual but the clutch.

Never notice how, on an upwards incline, so many cars roll back a few inches as their driver moves from brake to gas? At that instant, the car is effectively so much heavier, hence more clutch wear.

BJM

I don't quite get what you're trying to say. Using the for brake or handbrake gives the same result.....

It's a little different to my old automatic corsa, when I sit just say on a hill , I have my foot on the brake, when it's time to go it's off the brake and onto the throttle, if I think I'm going to be a while I just put into the park mode, and occasionally h/brake, so really you only need one pedal at a time, no roll back . But a couple of times today, I'm waiting at the give way, foot on brake, time to go foot off brake then throttle, instant rollback, I was sitting on a slight hill . I don't think you should have to use the handbrake at a give way unless you expect to be there a while. I know a lot if cars have a slight roll back but that is usually manuals, and people edge to up your bottom at times, so really can't afford even a slight roll back, il try and override the s/s see if that cures the prob.

I don't quite get what you're trying to say. Using the for brake or handbrake gives the same result.....

Yeah, I know I'm old-skool, I have the grey hair to prove it. Am I right in saying you're talking about using your left foot on the brake in an auto? I remember having it drilled in about never using your left foot to operate the brake.

With the Morris, I don't like holding her on the clutch any more than I have to. Heavy car, 803cc engine, 6-inch clutch plate. Not the best combination.

BJM

Left foot braking is just fine at junctions, you shouldn't do it whilst actually driving at soeed though.

Back