Technical Hill Holder issue

Currently reading:
Technical Hill Holder issue

aurick86

Established member
Hi,

Hurray !!!.... the forum is back up (damn Sandy!!)

I've been having a bit of a problem with my car:
-on a bit of a slop the hill holder kicks in ( as it should do)
-but it then gets stuck.. and even after (what seems to be ) 30 seconds ..it still would not release
-when i try releasing the clutch and revving the engine to get moving it's like the hand brake is on.. and the car just refuses to move.
-i've held up traffic a few times now..:mad::mad::mad:

It eventually releases the brake on it's own without any contribution from my part( as far as i know)

As i don't have accesses to a manual for the next few weeks(and can't download it either) please tell me how should the HH feature work.. and can it be disabled, what may cause it to act like it does.

Help, opinions, suggestions are greatly appreciated !

I think it's disabled by pushing the ASR button, but I'm not sure.

In worse case, a quick shift the rear gear before going back to first gear will disable it.

Your problem sounds like an accelerator pedal malfunction.

Your problem sounds like an accelerator pedal malfunction.

Do you mean something like a switch ? please clarify.

Very good suggestions, will be finding a hill somewhere this weekend to test them all.

I don't think so, only ASR is deactivated I believe.

OP, you tried sitting on hill, and just removing foot from brake and seeing if the car rolls back after a few seconds (checking nothing is behind you first) :confused:

It's very possible that the ASR button controls the hillholder function because the hillholder is part of the ASR option when you purchase the case.

As for the seconds waits, he knows that, that's what bothers him especially in traffic.

It's very possible that the ASR button controls the hillholder function because the hillholder is part of the ASR option when you purchase the case.

As for the seconds waits, he knows that, that's what bothers him especially in traffic.

Well asr is anti slip regulate, all part of the same operational feature, but a separate feature to hill hold, I suspect when ASR is deactivated using the switch, it'll only be that which is deactivated. I'll check it on mine tomorrow (y)

Update:
Tonight i tried to get out of an underground parking .. the HH kicked in .. then out.. then in and it would not release no matter what( this is when i got the HH Unavailable, ESP Unavailable error messages ) : waited 2 minutes, engaged reverse, pressed ASR button .... NOTHING worked.

I've about burned out the clutch :)bang: stupid FIAT:bang:stupid FIAT:bang:stupid FIAT:bang: ) trying to get the car moving in any direction..
Finally chucked (put something to stop it rolling) the wheels got one off :)mad:on an incline:mad:) and bled some of the brake fluid through the bleed nipple.

That finally did the trick and the wheels were free to move again .
So..let's say it wasn't all just in my head. My Bravo has a problem with the HH/ ESP system.

What would make it not release the pressure?

The ASR button only deactivates the traction control.
The ESP (of witch the HH is apart of) can not be deactivated (willingly /with a button) on the Bravo

( :mad: you could maybe use a hammer or a few gallons of petrol poured all over the car in conjunction with a match or two...but that may just be me)- seriously DON'T !

Anyone got an proximate price for the ABS/ESP pump ? -is it going to hurt

Last edited:
Stop chatting on a forum and get your car checked. It'll probably take a quick Faults scan to tell what is really the problem.

It could be the simple sensor that tells the car it's on a hill that's having a short and now the hillholder thinks you're on one all the time.

You could be damaging other parts of the car that are way more expensive than a sensor just by being lazy.

I've already scheduled for a diagnostics... it will take at least a week until they can see me (n)

A simple scan would not tell much.. it would only point to the problem. a good mechanic is still required to check any connections, replace/test sensors/connectors/wires...

A scan would only reveal that there was a problem with the esp/HH system...
it would not solve the problem.

Update:

Got the car to fiat dealer, they diagnosed it as being the ABS/esp module. needs replacing.
They sayd it costs ~ 2800 euros to replace. THAT IS OUTRAGEOUS.

Is that sum anywhere close to the real price for the ABS module?

Back