HET - The Coupe

Currently reading:
HET - The Coupe

muppet42

by name and by nature
So it's been a while since I've graced these fair pages and so I thought I'd start a thread on my new/old car. It's a '97 20v NA Fiat Coupe in Portofino Blue. Non-VIS, so 147hp from the factory...it's a step up in go from the Stilo but not the quickest thing I've driven. That engine though - I will never get tired of the sound it makes :)

Paid £900 for it with 6 months tax and MOT till next May, so a decent price for a car that's just clicked over 80k, had the cambelt done at 62k and needs tyres/brakes replaced anytime soon. Also...£19 more to insure fully comp than the Stilo was lol

Currently has 17" BK Racing multi-spokes but I want to change these to Turbo 4-spokes soon as to help out with the ride and handling. Plus they'll be less of a pain to clean. I also want to change the exhaust system as it's having issues with the mid and the Powerflow backbox, I just don't really rate though it does help with the sound a bit.

Other mod plans are a bit of bracing, induction is a must ( ;) ), fix bits and pieces like replacing the head-unit and auto-changer that although original aren't really working, get a set of Brembo's maybe though shall see how the standards are after the new brake fluid and refurb's been done. I'll also be doing something similar to what RGZ got inside...a mix of Sparco and Momo I think.

Suspension does need done but I'm mulling options...the Bilstein/Eibach option will cost almost as much as I paid for the car lol Coilovers are cheaper on eBay though don't want to compromise it. Also tempted to polybush it as I'll be getting the lower arms changed at least as at the moment, the handling leads a lot to be desired.

Bodywork is a mix really. No real rust apart from some around the rear window frame. Have spotted some on the NS on the inside of the clamshell. Think one of the previous owners had a ding as there's an iffy respray on that corner though said iffy respray has made it's way over a lot of the car. One of those ones that doesn't bare inspection though actual dings and dents aren't hugely prominent for the most part. Especially compared to the old Stilo.

But anyway, some pics I took in Asda earlier tonight (which I put on FB anyway :p) ...

Plus, I should probably change the sig lol

Cheers :)

Does need a load of bits and pieces as a car this age would expect but for the money, I couldn't really get much better. Ok, I admit, I am a bit gutted about missing out on a sweet e36 323 modded coupe in Falkirk but hey ho lol Similar power and everyone on here will probably prefer this :)

Still always a maybe with meets at the moment :/ Just the way work and the like goes...doing 5 and a half days a week at the mo a lot of the time :( Will try and get her to at least one FS meet in a while though :)

Harper said:
It's probably on Fb but it's not filtered down to the anti-social one so what eventually happened to RGZ?

The MOT was up in October and it needed tyres all round and a lot more besides. Loads of niggles and I'd had the car for 7 plus years so wanted a change. Didn't expect to get a Coupe in budget but this came up and I had to go round. It ain't perfect but I'm not going to lose money on it so shall see over the next few months what happens :)

I'll admit though, the Jap dream hasn't faded unfortunately. However, given the MPG of HET, I'm wondering how I'll actually save up for a drift machine lol

Did RGZ go to a good home?

Jesus christ: The power of branding that I'm concerned about where a car went - didn't give a toss about BradG's tweaked, primped, lowered mk2 but RGZ?

Damn you FS!

Martyn said:
Very jealous - especially that engine!!

*want*

I HAD to get something with an interesting engine :)

Honestly though, living a few days with a crappy 147 1.6TS shows how awful and mediocre some cars can be. That had a gearbox connected with rubber bands and an engine stolen from a golf cart. Considering it was based on similar stuff to RGZ, they were a million miles apart and that old 1.2 was tonnes better.

This inline-5 is a total blast. Needs a bit of work but the major mechanicals are done. Alternator needs looked at for example and probably needs a service as it's not been used much the past 2 years. Properly tempted to get a de-cat lol

muppet42 said:
I HAD to get something with an interesting engine :)

Honestly though, living a few days with a crappy 147 1.6TS shows how awful and mediocre some cars can be.

Italians just can't do mid-sized petrol engines, Pretty much every Italian engine over 1.4 up to 2.0 in the past 15-20 or so years has been utterly dreadful.

would say the only vague exception to that is the 1.8 vis fitted to the Barchetta and Punto HGT, though even that was poorly designed with a weak variator.

Mrcento said:
Italians just can't do mid-sized petrol engines, Pretty much every Italian engine over 1.4 up to 2.0 in the past 15-20 or so years has been utterly dreadful.

would say the only vague exception to that is the 1.8 vis fitted to the Barchetta and Punto HGT, though even that was poorly designed with a weak variator.

I just can't iterate enough how awful that 147 was. Right down to the cupholders it was p-poor. Honestly, it had one...right near the arm rest, THE least practical place for a cup-holder. The Stilo had two and the 147 just has a space next to the lighter and ash tray. The climate control was unfathomable, the brakes on/off, the dash overall was pants, that stupid petrol cap with lock on it rather than the linked to central lock the Stilo has. Honestly, it's like the Alfa guys took everything the Fiat dudes worked on and threw it away. Even the stalks have nobbly bits on them where the Stilo was smooth just to provoke ergonomic dissatisfaction. Honestly, I hate it. Maybe with a 2.0 TS or a 1.9JTDm but 1.6 my God it's sh-ite.

For reference, the Coupe has no cup holders and I don't give an F :D

Still running and had a not ridiculous MOT bill of a little over £200 (needed a CV joint, handbrake cables and such). Getting around 30mpg on the daily commute which ain't bad from what I've read and get 35 on the longer runs like the one I did to Newcastle at the start of the year.

So far done 5k miles and it's been decent but things of note on what needs done or issues...

- the wheels are awful. Running 205 45 17s means expensive tyres, crashy ride (made worse by the probably ancient original shocks/springs) and cheap brands. Didn't want to shell out the £100 plus a corner for a brand name as I'd plan on getting either Turbo or Plus 16" ones to help things.
- Brakes are also still horrendous despite a fluid swap - not sure if a swap in pads would help or if it's just a standard trait of the non-Brembo'd NA.
- trim rattles like a bas and it's mainly on one corner in the back. May be able to get some felt pads or something to help this and should expect it I guess lol Centre console has the usual Coupe rubberised degradation and needs refinished/resprayed. May get round to this.
- headunit and auto-changer are original and now just get some radio stations. The display is somewhat lacking in displaying anything.
- the bodywork is ok until you get within maybe 10 feet of it. Pretty poor on the N/S especially as a previous owner resprayed it with what looks like a blocked rattle can. Front bumper has the inevitable crack in the lower splitter section due to the overhang on the front - caught it once myself in fact and the grille is a little cracked where it's bolted on.

Plans if I do keep her...

- little things like mats that fit and don't move around inside, chrome surrounds for the dials, headunit and autochanger that work are all bits for the inside.
- LE headlamps and a Plus grille, clear side repeaters, Plus/LE body kit, Turbo/Plus alloys, sort the door badges and faded Fiat badge too, respray or wrap
- new shocks and lowering springs/coilovers - Bilsteins are blooming expensive and Eibach don't do dampers for the Coupe :( But could go OEM dampers (as the ones that are on may need replaced) and get the Eibach springs or similar. Coilovers look interesting though I can't help but feel on the wheels I have, spacers could be required to make it look right. To get good ones though, that won't be cheap.

Anyway, just typing out loud and a lot of the above may well not happen as already car window shopping lol Just thought I'd drop in and show the fact I'm still alive and the Coupe is too :)

Andi_F said:
Tbh I didn't notice the N/s bodywork when I parked up next to you last week.

If you want/ need a hand with changing pads you know where I am & Burnhouse aint that far for me to drive.

Good to see you're still alive Rob

They've got plenty of material on them so no rush though they're squealing a bit - probably just not used to actually being used all that much as the previous guy didn't do too much in the way of mileage. Will let you know if help's required though.

I have to say, I don't regret buying HET as it was an itch I had to scratch. That engine is something else even if it's not actually that quick. The other half approves of it too, which is always a bonus as she never had the chance to drive RGZ :/

Back