Technical help with wishbone (lower control arm)

Currently reading:
Technical help with wishbone (lower control arm)

pangloss

Hi All, I could do with a sanity check. Off side wishbone on my "project" 2014 4x4 needs replacing. So, bumper off, chassis leg off, chassis strap thing off, 3 bolts on the wishbone off and with a bit of a wiggle the old part is removed. I was pleased as I'd had to start the job late in the afternoon and it looked like it would all be done and dusted in an hour and a half or so. But could I get the new wishbone in? No! If I put the bottom swivel joint in first, I can't quite get the angle to slot the other two mounting points in place. If I put those two in first, I can't get the angle for the swivel joint. I gave up after an hour as it was getting blooming cold out!

Is there a trick to it? I suspect that as the suspension spring is fully extended, maybe the angle is just too tight with brand new bushings. Are there any tricks or am I missing something?

Hi All, I could do with a sanity check. Off side wishbone on my "project" 2014 4x4 needs replacing. So, bumper off, chassis leg off, chassis strap thing off, 3 bolts on the wishbone off and with a bit of a wiggle the old part is removed. I was pleased as I'd had to start the job late in the afternoon and it looked like it would all be done and dusted in an hour and a half or so. But could I get the new wishbone in? No! If I put the bottom swivel joint in first, I can't quite get the angle to slot the other two mounting points in place. If I put those two in first, I can't get the angle for the swivel joint. I gave up after an hour as it was getting blooming cold out!

Is there a trick to it? I suspect that as the suspension spring is fully extended, maybe the angle is just too tight with brand new bushings. Are there any tricks or am I missing something?
Should go in with some persuasion. Perhaps try a little washing up liquid or something like that, it would help lubricate without damaging the rubber.

Generally as all above advise, I would lube the bushes and fit the inner ends first then use a bar to push the wishbone as low as possible to allow location of suspenion swivel joint/pin. Though don't tighten the inner end until located properly as it will tension the suspension bushes out of position.
You may find having the steering on full lock gives you more movement to locate joint.

A touch of brute force in the right direction helps. Usually the insert jams at a slight angle, you you need to get is straight in the subframe gap, the a 'gentle' tap in.

Many thanks all. It looks like I was on the right track but more lube and force may be required! The day job has meant I haven't had any time to work on it again this week, so it looks like it's a job for the weekend.

Many thanks all. It looks like I was on the right track but more lube and force may be required! The day job has meant I haven't had any time to work on it again this week, so it looks like it's a job for the weekend.
When you have finished the tracking will need checking.

Back