Help with System build

Currently reading:
Help with System build

I'm building a gaming system for my friend and it just won't work for some reason, I built one for my other friend last year and that worked fine.

Everythings plugged in and everything sounds like its going but there is no display on the screen, It's not the card because I have tried two, There aren't any beeps to indicate its wrong :(

Hmmm what else have I tried, I have swapped the ram around, trying only one, in different slots etc 1

And there's no beeps to say its found the graphics card, could the mobo be shot? Sorry for the broken info :(

If the motherboard has onboard graphics try plugging the monitor into that and start the pc up. Have you installed and OS and drivers yet?

If the motherboard has onboard graphics try plugging the monitor into that and start the pc up. Have you installed and OS and drivers yet?

:yeahthat:

chances are its set to onboard grpahics in the bios so you wont be able to change it untill you get some display

plug into the onboard and use that to get the os installed then switch to the card and get the updates and you should get all the updated drivers for the card

:yeahthat:

chances are its set to onboard grpahics in the bios so you wont be able to change it untill you get some display

plug into the onboard and use that to get the os installed then switch to the card and get the updates and you should get all the updated drivers for the card

Yep exactly what i ment, just to tired to type the whole thing out ^__^

Nope no onboard graphics unfortunatly

I've requested a return incase it is faulty

Im not sure of the exact specs but Its a;

asus p6t se

Core i7 2.66ghz

OCZ 1600mhz ddr3 6gb

1 terrabyte HDD

700w something power supply

ATI 5850 1gb GDDR5

I'm probably going to be at it all night as I hate to be defeated!

:eek:

thats an inpressive collection of bits lol

well in that case sounds liek it could well be your graphics card

have you not got a spare one you can thorw in to test the theory?

Gone through that aswell, Dvi and the HDMI
Even used different monitors
When it starts up it should beep to say it detects a VGA but it doesn't :(
Built one for my other friend last year which wen't fine, really annoying when something goes wrong lol

could try resting it, take of the jumpers leave it for half hour then replace it all and try again with bare essentials like you said

may sound silly but have you double checked your VGA cable is working and its all plugged in properly, im not saying your that stupid but iv done it in the past wonderd why it hasent worked and it hasent even been plugged in:bang::eek:

if that fails then yeah sounds like a mobo problem

send it back and get a new one but before doing that have a look at the graphics slot and check theres no litle bits of metal in there somehow

good luck with it and hope you get it working

Will try the jumpers Idea thank you

So far I have

Checked the CPU is sitting right and is in the right way
Differnent ram in different slots
All connections are connected and in securely
Took the battery out for a bit then put it back in (never know lol)
Started it with all the bare bits incase its a power issue

And nothing has sorted it :( so will try some more idea's i've gathered from the net, if not i'll send it back lol

Will try the jumpers Idea thank you

So far I have

Checked the CPU is sitting right and is in the right way
Differnent ram in different slots
All connections are connected and in securely
Took the battery out for a bit then put it back in (never know lol)
Started it with all the bare bits incase its a power issue

And nothing has sorted it :( so will try some more idea's i've gathered from the net, if not i'll send it back lol

yeah sounds like a faulty motherboard :bang:

also try the new graphics card in a machine you know works to double check that, save a bit of agro in the long run

I haven't got another machine close by with a PCI-E 2.0 board lol
Unless both the cards were faulty I doubt they are the problem, Ill just send it back tomorrow and hopefully have another one back by thurs, I'm going to return the CPU aswell if they don't mind, incase that's the problem

Im guessing its a cheapo bargain basement made in taiwan power supply. If so that is not enough to power that spec. A decent quality 700watt would be OK not a cheap one.

Read the sticker on the side and tell me how much amps on the 12v rails especially. It will be in a table.

I have had this trouble in the past and it turns out that certain gfx cards will not function unless windows is installed you will have to buy a cheapo vga card that doesnt need drivers and use that until windows is installed and then put your card in and install the drivers and hey presto.

another thing is the BIOS up to date (latest firmware etc)

Last edited:
Well that power supply should be good enough providing that you space out your devices onto separate rails.

No beeps at all? You normally get a singular beep that all is well (CPU,RAM,MOBO) and its trying to post. If your internal speaker is connected i'd guess Mobo. But you could try any old Graphics card to make sure.

Also have you checked all power connectors etc? I.e This one and made sure it fills all the pins.

1887_p3_17.jpg

Also double check the manual on where you should plug the memory in. DDR3 is fussy on its location.

Last edited:
Back