Technical Help with MKII turbo gearbox

Currently reading:
Technical Help with MKII turbo gearbox

Gladis

Hi all - this is my first post - so please go easy.

I have a 1990 Uno turbo MKII with a gearbox problem - its broke!
I have lost drive in all gears even though it feels like it is going in gear.
I need another gearbox but MKII boxes seem to be very rare. Ive looked everywhere.:mad:

Does anyone know of any other gearboxes which would work as a straight replacement? I think that the Tipo cars might have used the same ones. If anyone can help with either a replacement box or an idea of an alternative that would be great.

hi,the tipo box is the same as mrk 2 turbo,u sure it aint ure clutch thts completely gone,cos tht can happen(y)

I can think of another explanation - broken driveshaft, broken CV joint, or simply the driveshaft fallen out of the splines in a CV joint. You only need one driveshaft to be 'broken' and there won't be any drive because the differential 'spins' the broken connection at double-speed.

So, have you checked the driveshafts as well? ;)

-Alex

Sorry to say that I haven't looked at it yet! :cry:

Good point about the driveshafts, I will take a look and see.

Sods law says it will deffo be the gbox thats shot.....still could be my lucky day.

I'll check what you guys have suggested and post a reply tomoz.

CHEERS (y)

would still love to know where all the MKII gearboxes have gone :D

OK - with the front wheels off the ground and the car in 1st gear, the passenger side front wheel doesn't move. The drivers side moves slowly. Both can be stopped by holding.

The passenger side driveshaft is rotating in an oval rather than circular motion! I guess that whatever is on the end of the driveshaft in the gearbox is knackered.

I better remove the driveshaft and see if it is damaged in the gearbox end.

Good plan. Let us know how you go?

BTW 'whatever is on the end of the driveshaft in the gearbox' is the differential ;)

The diff cage might have split apart?! Otherwise the bearing should still be giving you circular, not oval, motion... but I'm still hoping that it's just the driveshaft having dropped out... look for a snap-ring on the end of the driveshaft. It may be a loose fit, but it must be there...

As for where the gearboxes have gone, no idea. The great big bellhousing in the sky... Probably when the rest of the Unos rusted away, the gearboxes survived and went on eBay long ago...

-Alex

Back