Help please

Currently reading:
Help please

Morning all,

I need a wee bit of advice from the smart phone smart asses of FS ;) jk.

I have to get one for work but have no idea what's good or bad as up til now I've largely ignored their existence. What I'll require from it apart from the usual telephone/text stuff will be decent maps so I don't get lost in foreign cities, some sort of recording capability for meetings and a camera would be nice for when I do actually get to escape a conference room and see something of where I'm visiting.

So what should I go for and what should I definitely avoid?

Thanks in advance :)

iOS (Apple): Is the iPhone 5 for the flagship, with the 5S due out early next year

Android: Flagship is a hard one to call, The Samsung Galaxy S III, HTC One X (LTE Version), The Nexus 4 (Made by LG and updated by google)

BB: Not too clued up on whats what, but the new OS "BBX" (BlackBerry 10) is due on a few handsets soon.

Windows Phone: Nokie Lumia 900 series, or the HTC 8X. Not too sure about any other one.

HTH

Edit: Oh, just go into carphone warehouse or P4U and ask to play with the handsets I've mentioned above so you can get an idea what's for you.

i would say the Iphone BUT....

the latest iOS has Apple maps rather than google maps built in, and ermmm... it's ****. i have a 4s and refuse to upgrade my ios for this very reason, i don't want to lose the maps :laugh:

i would avoid Blackberry like the plague, fiddly irritating phones that do nothing very well.

scoop_987 said:
iOS (Apple): Is the iPhone 5 for the flagship, with the 5S due out early next year

Android: Flagship is a hard one to call, The Samsung Galaxy S III, HTC One X (LTE Version), The Nexus 4 (Made by LG and updated by google)

BB: Not too clued up on whats what, but the new OS "BBX" (BlackBerry 10) is due on a few handsets soon.

Windows Phone: Nokie Lumia 900 series, or the HTC 8X. Not too sure about any other one.

HTH

Edit: Oh, just go into carphone warehouse or P4U and ask to play with the handsets I've mentioned above so you can get an idea what's for you.

There's only one problem with your ever so sensible suggestion and that is it means me having to go nearer Aberdeen city centre than I'm willing to unless there's alcohol involved :laugh: Plus I need to get this sorted in a hurry as next trip's early feb and work are notoriously slow at getting anything technology-related thing organised.

Honestly the only thing I'm fussed about is getting something that won't break on me when I most need it to work and I know some phones have caused problems in the past. I seem to recall both Martyn and Rob having major problems with their HTC's for a start

Mrcento said:

the latest iOS has Apple maps rather than google maps built in, and ermmm... it's ****. i have a 4s and refuse to upgrade my ios for this very reason, i don't want to lose the maps :laugh:

Apple have relented and now allow google maps again which kinda scuppered my one argument not to get the iphone 5 (boss is a big apple fan and swears by them).

Mrcento said:
i would avoid Blackberry like the plague, fiddly irritating phones that do nothing very well.

Thanks, that's exactly the sort of info I'm looking for :)

Mrcento said:

You do realise that google maps has been released for iOS6?

my htc desire HD is still running and is over 2 years old and is still faster than most phones today and i refuse to buy apple on the plain basis is its rip off pish Foxconn equipment :D and they make 150% profit on everything they sell lol

abyss113 said:
my htc desire HD is still running and is over 2 years old and is still faster than most phones today and i refuse to buy apple on the plain basis is its rip off pish Foxconn equipment :D and they make 150% profit on everything they sell lol

A Bit optimistic with that post daz :)

The HTC Desire HD has the Qualcomm snapdragon S2 (For those of us that are a little nerdier will know it as the MSM8255 (ARM 7 single core)) where as the likes of the galaxy S and the galaxy S2 (Im not a fan of samsung) offer a faster phone when modified. Heck, even standard they are quick phones. The desire HD will be showing its age when compared to the likes of the Galaxy S3, HTC One X, and Nexus 4, infact most Nexus' phones.

However, it is still a good phone, and **** easy to fix if you break a screen :)

However, agree'd on the apple part, although the actual mark-up on the iPhones (Based on iPhone 4 16GB) are something like 350% (BOM is $187.51 and actual retail was $649), so 250% clear profit PER phone.

Had a iPhone 3G 8gb running for 2 years plus straight and over 6 months unsupported via iOS upgrades and it ran sweet as could be bar the home button fecking up (my fault :laugh :) . Now have a 4S 32gb and it's just as brilliant plus all the extra stuff and as for the "Apple tax", it was a free on upgrade and trounces the HTC Desire I had in every single respect. My sis has a Galaxy S2 and though she loves it, I can't stand the OS and it feels like a toy phone as it's just THAT light.

Personally, I don't see a huge benefit of getting an iPhone 5. Some nice new features but the larger screen is a false economy in my opinion and the addition of yet another proprietary port is a proper annoyance. Paying a premium for the latest is pointless though proper Apple geeks always will. Latest Windows 8 phones are intriguing though and the latest Nexus phone and S3 are decent from what I've heard. I just prefer the compactness and all round package my 4S brings :)

I went with the S3 and it's pretty good. Not really big into comparing phones though, I tend to see one I like the look of and just think 'screw it, that'll do'.

My biggest gripe is battery life but that's the same with all smart phones. S3 gets about a day and a half with moderate use before dying. Not sure how long it would last if I don't touch it cause since it has Facebook n Twitter on it I'm constantly checking to see what's happening.

I'm not a huge one for gaming on phones but there is a decent selection of games on it if that is your thing.

The music quality is decent enough, not mind blowing, and it has the annoying design of having the speaker on the back rather than the side so you have to lay it face down when listening to prevent it being muffled.

Camera is great, it's my main camera now and the photos it takes are brilliant.

That's my thoughts anyway.

Quick update, having taken a look at various friends phones over the holidays namely a Samsung Galaxy, HTC Desire, some sort of Blackberry and iphone 4 I'm really no further forward. Probably just going to ask them to get me the best deal possible and sod what phone it is.

Harper said:
There's only one problem with your ever so sensible suggestion and that is it means me having to go nearer Aberdeen city centre than I'm willing to unless there's alcohol involved :laugh: Plus I need to get this sorted in a hurry as next trip's early feb and work are notoriously slow at getting anything technology-related thing organised.

Bloody hell, work got it sorted before the deadline. Admittedly only just and wouldn't have done if I hadn't collected the damn thing myself this morning but at least it's here before I need it. Plus I have a weekend to figure out how to use it.

Oh yeah, went for the Galaxy SIII as it had a longer battery life than the nokia lumia (much needed when stuck in airports) and was cheaper than the iphone :)

Good choice, you'll love it. :)

I actually came here to tell you Carphone Warehouse have a phone for £3. £3!!!!!! Just get that one! Doesn't matter what features are you can't argue with £3!

I think that the HTC One X is under rated compared to the S3. The HTC sense is a better UI, but the S3 has some funky features.a

Ryanfaescotland said:
Good choice, you'll love it. :)

I actually came here to tell you Carphone Warehouse have a phone for £3. £3!!!!!! Just get that one! Doesn't matter what features are you can't argue with £3!

I think you'll find I can argue with £3. The Samsung cost me nowt :D

Harper said:
I think you'll find I can argue with £3. The Samsung cost me nowt :D

Technically, thats true but the price is hidden in the price of the contract.

scoop_987 said:
Technically, thats true but the price is hidden in the price of the contract.

Which I don't pay either so still cost me nowt. Work phone remember :D

One gripe though is they haven't set the damn thing up properly so I have no 3G/4G access and therefore can only access email/interweb when there's free wifi. Which is pretty pointless because I can then use the netbook and have an almost decent keyboard at my disposal. Think I could access it with data-roaming but not willing to risk getting a huge bill that the university may make me pay later. Any suggestions? Preferably before Friday when I fly home as I have wifi here :)

Right, since i don't know what network you're on, you'll need to bear with me:

Start off with going into mobile network options (Settings->Wireless & Networks->Mobile network settings)

Go into APN's (Access Point Names)

Menu-> New APN

From here on in, choose your network and just enter the details into the screen on the phone:

O2 Pay Monthly:

Tap New APN
Tap Name then tap the text box and enter O2 Pay Monthly then tap OK
Tap APN then tap the text box and enter wap.o2.co.uk then tap OK
Tap Proxy then tap the text box and enter 193.113.200.195 then tap OK
Tap Port then tap the text box and enter 8080 then tap OK
Tap Username then tap the text box and enter o2wap then tap OK
Tap Password then tap the text box and enter password then tap OK
Skip past Server as this is preset as Not set
Tap MMSC then tap the text box and enter http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002 then tap OK
Tap MMS proxy then tap the text box and enter 193.113.200.195 then tap OK
Tap MMS port then tap the text box and enter 8080 then tap OK
Tap MCC then tap the text box and enter 234 then tap OK
Tap MNC then tap the text box and enter 10 then tap OK
Tap Authentication type and tap PAP
Tap APN type and tap Internet + MMS
Press the Menu key
Tap Save
Tap the circle next to the new profile so a green dot appears in it

O2 PAYG:
Tap Name then tap the text box and enter O2 Pay & Go then tap OK
Tap APN then tap the text box and enter payandgo.o2.co.uk then tap OK
Tap Proxy then tap the text box and enter 193.113.200.195 then tap OK
Tap Port then tap the text box and enter 8080 then tap OK
Tap Username then tap the text box and enter payandgo then tap OK
Tap Password then tap the text box and enter password then tap OK
Skip past Server as this is preset as Not set
Tap MMSC then tap the text box and enter http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002 then tap OK
Tap MMS proxy then tap the text box and enter 193.113.200.195 then tap OK
Tap MMS port then tap the text box and enter 8080 then tap OK
Tap MCC then tap the text box and enter 234 then tap OK
Tap MNC then tap the text box and enter 10 then tap OK
Tap Authentication type and tap PAP
Tap APN type and tap Internet + MMS
Press the Menu key
Tap Save
Tap the circle next to the new profile so a green dot appears in it

T-Mobile:
Profile name T-Mobile Picture Messaging
Homepage/message server http://mmsc.t-mobile.co.uk:8002
Use proxy Yes
Proxy IP address 149.254.201.135
Proxy Port 8080
Connection Security Yes
Session Mode Permanent
Internet Mode http
Multimedia Reception Always
Request Read/Delivery Reports No/No
Accept Advertisements No
Accept Anonymous No
Maximum Message Size max 300 KB
APN general.t-mobile.uk
User Name user
Password tm
Prompt Password Off
Authentication PAP
IP Address Dynamic

Orange:
Name = Orange Internet
APN = orangeinternet (case sensitive)
Proxy = Ignore, Leave as <Not set>
Port = Ignore, Leave as <Not set>
Username = Ignore, Leave as <Not set>
Password = Ignore, Leave as <Not set>
Server = Ignore, Leave as <Not set>
MMSC = Ignore, Leave as <Not set>
MMS proxy = Ignore, Leave as <Not set>
MMS port = Ignore, Leave as <Not set>
MCC = 234
MNC = 33
Authentication type = PAP
APN type = default
APN protocol = IPv4
Bearer = Unspecified
press Menu, then select Save

Cheers for that Scoop, unfortunately it raises more questions than it answers. 1) our IT department set up the phone with the uni proxy so I can supposedly access my emails - will entering the info you've given me stop me from being able to read them cos if so there's no point in me trying. 2) if no to question 1 then the next question is will one of the above work with I WIND? Thanks :)

Back