Please sign petition to save Strathcona House

Currently reading:
Please sign petition to save Strathcona House

What's Strathcona House?

It's a rather nice red sandstone building on my works campus that originally the council planned to keep and incorporate into the new Aberdeen Exhibition and Conference Centre complex but now they've done a u-turn and it's to be demolished. The decision has even made it in to Private Eye who have said it should be "bleedin' obvious: to destroy a solid decent piece of architecture for frivolous reasons is a waste." Can't put it better myself

Strathcona was built as a halls of residence for the Rowett Institute and is still in use today as our lecture theatre and canteen. It's a bit of a landmark for those flying in to Dyce airport and those travelling along the A96 and it'd be really sad to see it meet a wrecking ball.

If you've got a few minutes please sign the petition here and more information about the campaign can be found here

Cheers

Katie

Its funny isnt it... anyone who wants to knock down an old building to develop the land gets a solid NO from the council, but yet they can change the rules to suit themselves...

To be fair to the council it's not a listed building therefore they aren't breaking any rules. It's just a shame they see fit to knock down a perfectly serviceable iconic building that could actually be an asset to them.

It's the fact they're replacing it with parking when elsewhere they're going all out to make life for the motorist as difficult as possible. That's the double-standard that's really pissing me off. There's been talk for years of them building a multi-storey car park at ARI to ease the parking problem there but the council keep stalling on it. Why? Because it has to be free and therefore they won't make any money out of it

We failed and Strathcona has now been demolished :cry: I've only seen pictures so far as I have no need to go to that part of town anymore but others tell me it's all completely flattened :cry: :cry:

I'll remember the good times

medium

Back