Need advice please

Currently reading:
Need advice please

The child labour wants to spend the money he's earned over the summer on a new laptop and has asked for my help in sourcing one. Normally this wouldn't be a problem but he's a gamer and I know sod all about computing requirements for games. tbh, I think it's the sort of thing he should know anyway but he seems to prefer playing the games to the technical side of things so I said I'd ask you knowledgeable lot for advice.

He's not going to be using the laptop for anything overly fancy probably just minecraft etc as he has gawd-knows how many consoles to keep him entertained. Anyways, apart from the usual best spec for your money is there anything specific he should be aiming for

Ta

It's a tricky one that.
You want to get one that's good enough for games, but at a good price.
My laptop has 2 Simulator games onit & handles that fine, but I don't think you want to spend £500, if it's just for gaming.

Go to your nearest Currys / PC World as they will be able to suggest what's best for your 'Child Labour' :laugh:

I know I'm not much help, but I know sod all about computors, just know that my laptop's brilliant & expencive.

Martyn said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Minecraft will run comfortably on most if not all modern pcs.

For gamers machines a decent graphics card, plenty HDD and RAM.

Don't even ask me about cards though, I've not been tech-savy for a while now!

Cheers, that's the sort of info I'm looking for so if anyone can recommend what the bare minimum is for gaming I'd appreciate it - that way we can aim for above it. He says Minecraft for now but chances are he'll find something else to play on it and I'd rather he didn't have to buy a new laptop every year or so just to keep up - not when he could be spending the cash on presents for his auntie instead ;) yeah, yeah I can dream lol

He reckons from all his summer jobs and little businesses he'll have between £500 and £600 to spend on this (oh to be young and have no financial responsibilities) so we should be able to get something pretty decent

best go into pc world and get proper advice, keep notes of any types of computer or any specs they reccomend, then come home and look some up on the internet using the specs he quoted as a guide :)

i was gonna say :D pcworld = halfords :D monkeys for staff dont know jack :D

i got my laptop out of my own sourcing and plays games and films just fine for the price i paid for it

was in january sales for 400

amd a6 quad core 3400m these new cpus have integrated graphics designed to be able to play games on it and i run my game world of tanks just fine on it
HDD 750gb
Memory 6Gb ddr3
16" screen
Dual layer dvd
windows 7 x64 version

heres a video of it running my game
gives and idea of what specs your needing

the video shows how long from start to playing the game for speed comparison

Wee update.

He's considering this one at the moment. I haven't had time to check it out fully and my first thought was oh **** Nvidia as they've had a bad rep for using shoddy parts in the past but they appear to have a better reputation now. I'll look properly at the weekend when I have more time but does anyone here have any immediate concerns?

Aside from him having too much cash of course - trust me I'm on that one ;)

I dont know a huge deal bout computers, usually go by the bigger the number, surely the better it is!! XD haha

However, try 'ebuyer' online, sell decent laptops and pcs (and other stuff too) relatively cheap and often free delivery too :)

I dont know a huge deal bout computers, usually go by the bigger the number, surely the better it is!! XD haha

However, try 'ebuyer' online, sell decent laptops and pcs (and other stuff too) relatively cheap and often free delivery too :)

seems good enough if willing to spend that for it :) but unfortunalty for me i only see downfalls when it comes to bang for buck on laptops Vs desktop :) i hate laptops although i have them i would never pay that money on one :D

msb89 said:

Ebuyer is where I got my last 2 laptops and current desktop from and up until now I thought they couldn't be beaten on price but laptopsdirect undercuts them by £100 on that model. From a quick search it appears Ebuyer are the better company when it comes to customer service though and I've advised the child labour that he has to be prepared for a fight if he ever has a problem with his purchase

abyss113 said:
seems good enough if willing to spend that for it :) but unfortunalty for me i only see downfalls when it comes to bang for buck on laptops Vs desktop :) i hate laptops although i have them i would never pay that money on one :D

Cheers.

I doubt I'd ever spend that much money on any computer myself as I have very basic requirements so cheap and cheerful does me. I prefer a desktop for work but give me the comfort of a laptop when curled up on the sofa at home. Again it's not used for anything fancy - posting shite on t'interweb and checking email mostly but very handy when away from home

Back