Technical Help please, pollen filter!!

Currently reading:
Technical Help please, pollen filter!!

Same problem, with the advantage of having a left-hand drive, so the pedals are out of theway. BUT, the filter housing seems to be hermetically sealed. Haynes shows the usual grainy B&W pics making no sense, and while that not-so-much-a-video-as-a-minimalistic-sequence-of-nicer-than-Haynes'-photo's does actually show some bolts to be removed (Haynes says Unclip the cover??), I ain't got no bolts on mine (Dynamic 1.3 Diesel), nor any aircon, so what's the game? No aircon no filter? Or just a really well hidden cover with no edge. THanks to Tigertone 2000 for making me perservere . I'll have another go then.

Portland_bill has said if there is no a/c that the panel could be glued on? I managed it by grasping the front and back tabs where I removed the screws from, seemed simple when I decide I no longer cared if it broke! Haha.

I suppose the question is, do u need a filter if u don't have the air con? I think it may be a"nice to have ", especially if you do a lot of city driving

This post is very helpful but I'm finding it impossible to remove the covers bottom bolt as the steering column is in the way on the Panda Mk3! I've ground down a socket but still can't get clearance. The only 5.5mm spanner I found was a flat,stamped item, but that won't fit in the recess. Only a Fiat would require you to use two different sized torx drivers and an oddball sized spanner to remove a filter that is part of a routine service! I think I'll go back to buying another trusty Hyundai i10.

This post is very helpful but I'm finding it impossible to remove the covers bottom bolt as the steering column is in the way on the Panda Mk3! I've ground down a socket but still can't get clearance. The only 5.5mm spanner I found was a flat,stamped item, but that won't fit in the recess. Only a Fiat would require you to use two different sized torx drivers and an oddball sized spanner to remove a filter that is part of a routine service! I think I'll go back to buying another trusty Hyundai i10.
The official repair procedure is to remove the column bottom bolt and lift the column off the rack. It is on a master spline, so can't misalign when replacing. I do this each time I change my filter, and the whole job is much easier. Not easy, just easier. The clutch pedal also gets in the way, and needs to be held down while getting the filter out, or in.

The video appears to be a LHD car. Same operation, but on RHD, the pedals get in the way, just making it difficult.

Once the screws are out, the cover pulls off. Near the screws are some lugs you can get your fingers behind and pull. It is tight, as most cars do without the screws after the first change, and some appear not to have had them from new. So just get the fingers behind it and pull firmly. Mind you don't damage yourself when it lets go.

Had mine just under 5 years now, only just replaced the filter, but had the steering column out, so access was easier. No, you don't need to remove the steering column to change the filter.
Agreed. Tie the clutch pdeal down with a largish cable tie. It should come out once the screws are out of the way but I too had trouble the first time. A rubber hammer and a screw driver were deployed. It should just be a push in job.

The official repair procedure is to remove the column bottom bolt and lift the column off the rack. It is on a master spline, so can't misalign when replacing. I do this each time I change my filter, and the whole job is much easier. Not easy, just easier. The clutch pedal also gets in the way, and needs to be held down while getting the filter out, or in.
Thanks for the information. I've just completed the job after hours of faffing about. I was just about to remove the steering column as a last resort but instead bought a 5.5mm socket and turned down the outer diameter on my lathe, cut it down in length as far as I dared then broached two flats on the side to accept a very thin spanner. A lot of trouble for what should have been a simple job though.

It took me three days to replace the pollen filter! I made a similar tool by grinding down a cheap socket which I epoxied to a pice of thin steel bar. I guess the problem stems from the Panda being designed as a left hand drive vehicle, it would be quite easy to do if it were in the passenger footwell. Took in two minutes to change in my Hyundai i10. I've found the Panda a great little car but let down by some silly design features.

Just changed mine yesterday (LHD), with the same troubles. No screws on mine, and appeared at first completely sealed. But I could see the cover, and locating and wiggling the "flap" on the top screw mount made it come loose.

While searching for an accompanying image I found both images of the filter cover:
s6.jpg

as well as a car wich seems to be completely sealed, without a detachable cover;
4653-innenraumfilter-jpg

Just changed mine yesterday (LHD), with the same troubles. No screws on mine, and appeared at first completely sealed. But I could see the cover, and locating and wiggling the "flap" on the top screw mount made it come loose.

While searching for an accompanying image I found both images of the filter cover:
View attachment 424385

as well as a car wich seems to be completely sealed, without a detachable cover;
4653-innenraumfilter-jpg
Only fitted to cars with aircon

Open the slave cylinder bleed nipple. The pedal will then go down & stay down and you'll flush some dirty fluid out of the system.

Nope, tried that!
Correct

Look at mine yesterday

The angle of the steering column puts it close and directly above the screw head of the bottom one

A standard ring spanner fits, I don't have a 5.5mm one but 7/32 works

The top one is a doddle, a 1/4" drive socket and small extention fits and just ratchets out

If you squish it a bit it does go around the clutch pedal, assuming you are comfortable doing that,

On the 2010 1.2 eco there is an electrical connector that has to be unclipped

Seems silly the cover is clipped and screwed, I think I would be comfortable leaving the screws out if I planned to change it regulary

Back