Technical Help please, pollen filter!!

Currently reading:
Technical Help please, pollen filter!!

Ghhthomas

Right let's start by saying in no way am I usually a practical person, so if I'm doing something silly please tell me!
OK then after reading some people talking about condensation and how the pollen filter should be changed yearly I thought mine should be done, don't think it was ever done in 10 years.
So to the problem, I've got myself in to the place where the cabin filter cage is located and removed the 5.5 mm bolts, much to my difficulty, why that size! But I can't remove the cover how is it held on further I've tries to Jimmy with a screw driver but no movement at all, any help would be greatfully appreciate!! :) thanks in advance.

Chances are your Panda (like mine) doesn't have air-con, in which case, I believe, no cabin filter.

It took me to the same point to realize this (1.1 Active Eco).

Haha thank you for your reply, but unfortunately I have a 1.2 dynamic a/c, so I do have a dreaded filter :p count yourself lucky.

Because I'm a heretic, I took my filter out and didn't replace it.
Greater throughput of air, faster demisting, etc. A few on here told me I was a twit, but I spend so little of my life in a car that a few shallow filtered breaths while I'm driving ain't gonna make much difference to my health. Remember - it's not a particulate filter, just a pollen filter.

Last edited:
Greater throughput of air, faster demisting, etc. A few on here told me I was a twit, but I spend so little of my life in a car that a few shallow filtered breaths while I'm driving ain't gonna make much difference to my health. Remember - it's not a particulate filter, just a pollen filter.

How did you get your panel off then? :p

Sorry guys I don't think you've got my problem, I've got all the bolts off but the panel still won't budge. Is there a clip or a special way to slide it off?

The video appears to be a LHD car. Same operation, but on RHD, the pedals get in the way, just making it difficult.

Once the screws are out, the cover pulls off. Near the screws are some lugs you can get your fingers behind and pull. It is tight, as most cars do without the screws after the first change, and some appear not to have had them from new. So just get the fingers behind it and pull firmly. Mind you don't damage yourself when it lets go.

Had mine just under 5 years now, only just replaced the filter, but had the steering column out, so access was easier. No, you don't need to remove the steering column to change the filter.

Last edited:
The video appears to be a LHD car. Same operation, but on RHD, the pedals get in the way, just making it difficult.

Once the screws are out, the cover pulls off. Near the screws are some lugs you can get your fingers behind and pull. It is tight, as most cars do without the screws after the first change, and some appear not to have had them from new. So just get the fingers behind it and pull firmly. Mind you don't damage yourself when it lets go.

Had mine just under 5 years now, only just replaced the filter, but had the steering column out, so access was easier. No, you don't need to remove the steering column to change the filter.

Ah thank you so much, that's what I needed to hear. I'd been pulling pretty damn hard but thought I was going to break it!! I'll will persist and hopefully return triumphant and with knuckles in tact :)

The filter is not (just) there for you. It keeps the evaporator from clogging up.
Replacing an evaporator will cost as much as many, many filters...

gr J

Hi all, as a relatively new panda owner I was struggling with this also. Is it true that pandas with out air con don't have the cabin filter? Really? I have tried a couple of times to get the "Clip on" cover off....

It is extremely hard to remove - especially the first time. I regard myself as a fairly practical person but don't mind admitting I struggled! I seem to recall a very wide screwdriver blade was employed in the end.........:)

Lol, it has been one of those jobs where I have had a spare 5 mins and tried to open it up and never succeeded. Do the non air con models actually have one though?

Going by everything I've read, I believe that pollen filters are only installed on the a/c cars.

The filter is not (just) there for you. It keeps the evaporator from clogging up.
Replacing an evaporator will cost as much as many, many filters...

gr J

That's fair comment. Although looking at the reasonable state of my condensor radiator after nearly 90k miles, which has a similar construction to the evaporator but is exposed without protection to all the crud that gets thrown at it, I don't think that leaving out my pollen filter is going to do any measurable damage.
I'll report back if it fails through clogging up!

Finally managed it, due a change I reckon :)

Attachments

• 1423650829176.jpg
    1423650829176.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 97
Same problem, with the advantage of having a left-hand drive, so the pedals are out of theway. BUT, the filter housing seems to be hermetically sealed. Haynes shows the usual grainy B&W pics making no sense, and while that not-so-much-a-video-as-a-minimalistic-sequence-of-nicer-than-Haynes'-photo's does actually show some bolts to be removed (Haynes says Unclip the cover??), I ain't got no bolts on mine (Dynamic 1.3 Diesel), nor any aircon, so what's the game? No aircon no filter? Or just a really well hidden cover with no edge. THanks to Tigertone 2000 for making me perservere . I'll have another go then.

Back