Technical Help newbie please with battery connections!

Currently reading:
Technical Help newbie please with battery connections!

Thanks all, yes unfortunately I haven't got a garage so the car's on the road, hence my striding forth optimistically and removing the battery. There are some cables to connect permanently but obviously can't use them.
I'll get the mechanic to check for reasons for battery drain when I take it.
I know, Halfords isn't that great, but I wanted to charge the battery up as I wasn't in a position to drive it round for an hour or so, and Halfords is just round the corner from me.
Is there a good one you can recommend or a website with good bits on?
I wish I'd found this forum before I tried rogue-stylee to fix my car (I've been known to take computers apart before but never the car, computers are so easy, cars very tricky!

Next jobs - pump up tyres - according to the Internet that's 32 front 29 rear. When I take it to the garage they tend to pump them up nearer to the 50 max of the tyres. Any thoughts
Check fluids as per guide 9n here
Replace wipers (the rubber bits are coming off)
Wish me luck fellas, I'm going in!

I wasn't knocking Halfords - in truth I know nothing about them - it's just that the name crops up so often on these pages...:)

My car's seven years old but only has just over 18,000 miles up so I haven't had to do much to it. In our climate we don't have the issues with corrosion that seem to plague UK cars, plus of course it lives in a garage - UV damage is an issue here, especially with the soft-top. Touch wood it's been very reliable - maybe not Mazda standard but pretty good for a Euro - which is good because I'm not that confident working on modern cars (the one before this still had a choke knob!!).

Three years ago I had to replace the coolant tank and last year got the boot wiring loom fixed - it's also had a replacement boot handle and two batteries - all well-known issues. The new coolant tank came from the UK; www.shop4parts.co.uk. The price was OK and it was delivered out here in a week so I'd use them again.

It's also heavily accessorized (is that a word?) with bits from the UK, Germany, Japan, Arizona, Poland, China and even Italy for some reason. There's not much around for 500's in Oz.

Mine has the 16" alloys and recommended pressures are 35F and 33R, the 14" steels are quoted as 33 and 32 on the label. I generally run them a bit higher, personal preference.

Good luck with it!
https://www.shop4parts.co.uk/?name=store&op=Product&ProdID=21542

Any thoughts

Firstly, don't overstress about tyre pressures; the variation encountered during normal driving is greater than you might think. Each 5C change in temperature will result in a pressure change of about 1psi; so the difference between a hot summers day and a freezing winters night could easily be as much as 7psi. Tyre pressures also increase by about 4psi when cruising at motorway speeds on dry roads.

Always check pressures when cold, and reset them if there is a substantial change in ambient outside temperature, as when going between winter and summer.

Personally I err on the side of overinflating rather than underinflating (though nowhere near 50psi); you'll get better tyre wear at the expense of a slightly harsher ride. Serious underinflation is both dangerous and likely to result in permanent tyre damage.

If you're planning a long journey with 4 adults in the car, consider increasing the rear pressure to match the fronts; the additional loading on the rear tyres is quite substantial.

Hello Piccolo, wish I was in Oz, well done you lot on crushing the virus! I did see shop4parts and it seems good to me, stuff specific to fiat 500,amongst others! Thank you for helping, much appreciated!

Awesome advice jrkitching, wow, I'm learning a ton of stuff here, I'm going to start talking to some blokey blokes and impart my knowledge! Must discuss boot wiring loom....first find out what a loom is...

Hello Piccolo, wish I was in Oz, well done you lot on crushing the virus! I did see shop4parts and it seems good to me, stuff specific to fiat 500,amongst others! Thank you for helping, much appreciated!

Certain advantages to living on the ar... backside of the planet!

Wiring loom, cable harness or whatever, it’s just the car’s bundled wiring. On the hatch it encompasses the wires to the centre brake light, rear screen demister, rear wiper, number plate lights and boot catch solenoid amongst others; even the rear washer pipe. The cabrio’s boot wiring is considerably simpler.

The point where the cables exit the body and enter the hatch is a source of trouble because frequent opening and closing of the hatch flexes the cables and can split the insulation, fracturing the wires eventually, causing breaks or even shorts between circuits.

When you have time it’d be a good idea to retract the concertina rubber gaiter and inspect the cables – there’re plenty of posts about it, and how to fix it, on the forum and a replacement section is available. If you’re good with computers it shouldn’t present any difficulties.

Back