Technical Help Needed

Currently reading:
Technical Help Needed

FoxesJosh

Hi All,

Right I need some help if possible, I brought a 2001 1.2 8v Fiat Punto in November and since everything has gone wrong, like i can't even have it 2 weeks without something going wrong on it, mainly the power steering. After a week of buying the car the power steering went and we still in our month warranty from the garage so they told us 'they had changed' the ecu column and motor. All good, but the past few weeks the power steering has started to fail again, at first it was like once a month but would be ok after switching the engine on and off but more recently it is becoming everyday. When i start her up in the morning to work the power steering is working but then suddenly fails and I am left with no power steering. :bang: I took it to a garage today and he said its not the ecu, motor or steering sensor and reckons it could be short in the wiring. What do you lot think as i'm thinking it would cost a bomb for a motor electrician to have a look, to diagnose the problem etc. Brought the car for £995 as a run around as I work out the country for 6 months but since November i have spent near enough £400 on her with new exhausts, gaskets, tyres, lights etc.

What do you lot think it could be, your opinions will help alot!

Cheers, Josh

I'd be tempted to have the battery tested before spending any more money. Also check the connections to it, and the condition of all earths under the bonnet.... If it's not any of these, then report back, and someone wiser than me will point you in the right direction...! (y)

PS: Sorry, forgot my manners momentarily.... Welcome to the Forum...! :)

Last edited:
99% sure its the motor
they would have nailed a s/h one in to buzz you off
if i was you i would find a late model low mileage last of your type punto ie on a 03 plate motor and fit it myself these seem better built than old turn of the century ones
dont fit one off a later big headlight model punto they dont work because their internal gizzards are different
dont buy s/h off the bay either because you have no way of confirming replacement isnt duff

fiatecuscan with the elm lead and green lead? or is it the red one would read the power steering codes for you at minimum expense and do it better than an auto electrician that frankly wouldnt have a clue anyway

one more thought stay away from selling dealer because theyve had your money and you can tell they dont want to know

local trusted scrappie is my advice

So you think it could be the motor playing up, but if it was the motor would it not work at all because atm its works but as your driving it cuts out?

So you think it could be the motor playing up, but if it was the motor would it not work at all because atm its works but as your driving it cuts out?

these older puntos usually start by failing on full lock but yours is now failing in service
as i say im 99% sure your motor is the issue
the other 1% is ecu

as i said for less than £20 you can buy the leads off ebay ,download the free fiatecuscan programme onto a windows xp laptop and see exactly what faults are logged

Where would be the best place to get an ecu column and motor from?

Back