General Help... Low oil

Currently reading:
General Help... Low oil

Emmab90

Hi new here and new driver,

I think I've just made 101 classic mistake. Notice about a week ago that the car had started to make an odd noise when reaching 2500rpm. Was meant to be dropping it at a garage this weekend. Only I've just checked the oil, and the dipstick is dry :'(oil light never came on. I've topped it up and it took 2l before it reached the half way mark.

I already know now I've screwed the engine... I suppose I'm looking for a little optimisim from you guys. Is there any hope for my car? X

Too many factors to say the long term prospect for the engine. Much depends upon which engine you have, it's previous history, its oil capacity, how long it's been driven for and how it has been driven like this. You may be lucky and caught it just in time.

Has the top up stopped the noise? By the way the oil light is a loss of pressure indicator not a level indicator.

It's a 56 plate 1.2
After reading today I believe oil capacity is 2.6l :(
I've owned it for about 5 months. I checked the oil when I picked it up and all was OK then.
I couldn't tell you how long it's been running dry as I've been a total idiot and not checked it until now :(

The noise is still there after topping up. Only kicks in when revs reach 2500 in 3rd gear, then gets really faint if I drop it into 4th gear.

I've had a look around where I normally park it (on the drive or just on the road) and there's no evidence of oil leaking.

IF you have spared the engine once you noticed the noise AND haven't done too many miles before toping it up, the dammages have possibly be limited.
I would add a can of "old engines oil additive" such as STP or Bardhal in the sump, this might improve the oil consumption and even (partly) cure the odd noise. Using a thicker oil is also another trick that could help ...

BRs, Bernie

If someone here helped You fix -or better, understand- your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right corner, it's free and makes us feel helpy ;-)

I've had a look around where I normally park it (on the drive or just on the road) and there's no evidence of oil leaking.

Ok..
Well it has probably passed through the engine.. and out of the exhaust..
Very difficult to stop this.
As advised slightly thicker oil may help consumption and noise..

The engines are relatively tough.. you many get another 50,000 miles with just basic maintenance.

DO KEEP AN EYE on levels though..water as well as oil :)

Charlie

I believe that since the oil pressure light was off you are ok.

It's a 56 plate 1.2
After reading today I believe oil capacity is 2.6l :(
I've owned it for about 5 months. I checked the oil when I picked it up and all was OK then.
I couldn't tell you how long it's been running dry as I've been a total idiot and not checked it until now :(

The noise is still there after topping up. Only kicks in when revs reach 2500 in 3rd gear, then gets really faint if I drop it into 4th gear.

That doesn't sound engine related to me. I'd say it's more transmission related if it's only kicking in once certain gears are engaged.

If it doesn't do it out of gear at those revs then it's unlikely to be engine. Maybe the noise has lead you to checking and stopping another problem though, so just keep an eye on the engine oil and see how it goes.(y)

I'd recommend getting the gearbox oil checked though.

Back