Technical help!! asap!!

Currently reading:
Technical help!! asap!!

Lou Lou

turning into a garge to put petrol in and was full lock when the steering wheel clicked, the light on the dash went on and the steering is really heavy, been told it cud be the power steering motor or it might be a fuse...help guys how can i check this, been quoted 150 if its the steering motor which at the mo i really havnt got!!:cry:

How old is your battery? Get it checked out. Punto electrical steering puts a heavy load on the battery and charging system especially at full lock and causes the steering to trip out if there is a voltage problem. New batteries cure the problem most of the time. Loads of posts on here about it.The system is not really up to the job and some people have fitted better spec batteries to prevent it happening.

Do you know the make and rating of the battery? There should be a number like 50Ah or similar on it. If it was a cheapo it might not be man enough for the job. New batteries can be faulty as well. I assume the steering works ok when you restart the motor.
Why did you replace the battery? If there is an underlying fault with the charging system the new battery would not have cured it.

Last edited:
This happened to me on my Sporting, had to replace it from a scrapped car which cost me £350!!
In regards to Brendan's comment, It then happened on my HGT on start up, turned out the battery (installed by the AA petrol he had in the back of his van) was absolute tripe!! Restarting the car would solve the issue however...

But I can only assume you have tried restarting the car and it didn't work... :(

the old battery was just dead and when i got the car they put on a new one instead off charging it, and the power steering dnt work even if i turn the car off and on the light on the dash just comes up, and the city button doesnt work either :/

yes the steering light is on all the time, but no other light while the car is running

Might sound silly question but is the steering still at full lock? If it is it will keep tripping. Can you start it with the wheels straight ahead?
If the light is still on starting with the wheels in a normal position then you probably have a steering column problem which could be motor , torque sensors or something else.To be certain you will need to have the codes read by someone who knows what they are doing. Reconditioned columns are available for less than £200 afaik.
What kind of warranty have you got with a week old car?

wheels are straight, as i drive the steering gets heaver, and no garuntee as it was brought second hand private, its a 2000 plate

OK first thing to do is get the charging system checked out. If it's good then you need to consider a new or recon column. There is a fiat/alfa guy beside the bull ring shopping centre who got good press on here lately - might be a good place to start.

The battery needs to be properly tested and its connections to the car need to be solid.
The generator needs to be tested to make sure the battery is getting charged properly.

If the steering continues to act up with the electrics working you can get a service exchange column from BBA-Reman with 2 years warranty. They have their own website but easiest method is via eBay at http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FIAT-PUNTO-10...CarParts_SM&hash=item5adc89ba17#ht_2434wt_941

You will need to have it fitted but its not a difficult job so max £100 for fitting. Do not get talked into buying a new column they are from £400-£600 and need Fiat diagnostics to fit them so they cost megabucks.

Most likely it is battery or generator so make sure they are 100% before changing the steering system.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
had the ecu all pluged up and read and deffo was the power steering motor which i got second hand from a scrapy for 30 quid, now the steering is ten times better then before!! but when the reading was done it came up with engine phase, what on earths that?? :/

had the ecu all pluged up and read and deffo was the power steering motor which i got second hand from a scrapy for 30 quid, now the steering is ten times better then before!! but when the reading was done it came up with engine phase, what on earths that?? :/

It probably had the code stored from a Previous life of the cambelt

Phase Sensor is onto of the engine above cam covers

Its meant to help lower emissions, but if the EML aint on and car drives fine, ignore the phase sensor

Ziggy

Back